Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2008 9:57:08 AM EDT
I used to be that way, I was in total denial. Now I'm working out every day, I'm dieting hard, and I'm damn happy, I feel so much better now that I've faced reality.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Denial. Definitely.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea..that that river in Egypt
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]

They're in denial.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah.  Denial.  They might "accept" it, but I doubt there's one of them that wouldn't accept a wave of a magic wand that would make them proportionate, if not toned.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They're in denial.

As am I.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
But she has a pretty face..........
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't bother me. How can anyone else claim to know what I feel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm happy with it. If I wasn't would I have flaunted it for my 10,000th post?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
De nile is a long river.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I missed this gem of a post.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Lying or in denial.  I'm fat and it sucks.  Working to remedy the situation though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, yeah. That's kinda what denial is.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed this gem of a post.

Look for Truffle Shuffle in a thread title in GD.

Here's the link.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=696717
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It doesn't bother me. How can anyone else claim to know what I feel?

Fuckin A!

I'm workin on it!
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They're in denial.

What's wrong with 'De Nile' AND lying ??

5sub
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lying or in denial.  I'm fat and it sucks.  Working to remedy the situation though.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=696214
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#17]
"I'm okay with it" means "I've given up".

Unless they have a medical condition, no one has to be overweight.

You don't even have to "diet". Just eat a little less, and exercise a little, and you will lose weight.

Having just lost 35 pounds (and still dropping), I'm glad I didn't say, "I'm okay with it".

It's better to be thin(ner).

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Denial. Nobody could be okay with being unhealthy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes you can be ok with it.

The ONLY reason I'm losing weight is for health reasons. Not everyone who is overweight is necessarily dying
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#20]
It is away of denial, putting on face that you are ok with it so others will be to reasure them it is ok.

Edit to add:  There are big differences in being considered medically overweight, and being morbidly (sp) overweight which affects your health.  More and more Americans are heading to the second category.  You can be consided medically overweight and be healthy and just fine and be happy with it, but I still think there is some underling denial to it all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I think they're in denial... They know they should be healthier but have (in most cases) made a decision (consciously or not) that eating mass quantities and lazing around is better than doing what it takes to be healthy.

(don't think I'm being excessively harsh; I could stand to shave off some tonnage myself.)
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#22]
BS, no way they can be happy with it. I've thrown on some lbs in the tummy and I'm not pleased with it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I lost 100 lbs so I could get laid regularly.

It worked.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Denial.  And fat is NOT beautiful.  Not in any way, shape or form - loudmouth comments by lardass celebrities notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Been overweight all my life, heck, even at birth I was 10 pounds 5 ounces and 18 inches long, broke my collar bone even while heading for the light.

I've dieted and it does little, different diets, nothing.  Don't diet, nothing.  I will never be thin or fit on one of those government charts.  I would love to be thin, have six pack abs or whatever, but not what nature dealt me.  Eat well, practice martial arts, weight lift, walk, do most of my own cooking.

I can fret and worry like the women at work eating their bite-size so-called frozen meals, or eat healthy, exercise and be happy, or worry about something that has never changed for me.  I would love to be thin, but am also happy with who I am.

For the naysayers about me being happy.  I lost some weight once when I was 22.  I ran every morning for an hour.  Walked a couple of miles back and forth to school.  Spent 2.5 hours a night in the gym weightlifting.  Did some biking.  Spent 3-4 hours on Sat. mornings practicing Shotokan karate.  Drank slimfast for a couple of meals and eat some chicken.  I started at that point to lose some, but not much.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Either denial, or acceptance (given up - which is similar to "don't care").

And I say this as a guy who needs to drop 30 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

dude

I smoked for almost 20 years

unhealthy as heck but I was still happy

I have been skinny

I have been fat

I have been happy in both states and in between
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I could drop 10 pounds.  Not that I am strongly motivated to do so.

I just don't care that much.  Perhaps if I really was obese that would be different, but I don't feel strongly about my current weight.  In fact, I don't think about it hardly at all, and am pretty happy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think they're in denial... They know they should be healthier but have (in most cases) made a decision (consciously or not) that eating mass quantities and lazing around is better than doing what it takes to be healthy.

(don't think I'm being excessively harsh; I could stand to shave off some tonnage myself.)

I don't think you're being harsh at all. The only reason I gained the weight I did was because I was fucking lazy.

As soon as I got off my ass and started showing some self-discipline, the weight started coming off.

It's nice to look in the mirror and not say, "Man, I look like shit."

5' 11" and 175 lbs is now only 20 pounds away.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dude

I have been skinny

I have been fat

Exactly.

Some people THINK they are happy, only because they fit some physical ideal that they hold for themselves.  Others simply enjoy activity and hate eating.  I don't know.

The people who HAVE to maintain an image for themselves in order to be satisfied, are not happy people.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think you're being harsh at all. The only reason I gained the weight I did was because I was fucking lazy.

As soon as I got off my ass and started showing some self-discipline, the weight started coming off.

You and I are the same height and weight, but I am perfectly happy right where I am.

Don't chase your ideal body image hoping that will bring you happiness.  It won't.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dude

I have been skinny

I have been fat

Dude, It's says "okay" not "happy". Regardless, if you were happy or okay with smoking, why did you quit?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I think we need to define the differences between "happy" and "jolly."

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Aren't the first two poll choices essentially the same?

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#35]
You don't need to be thin to be happy. There are plenty of miserable thin fucks out there.

That said, many fat people that say they are happy with their weight are probably in denial (told by a person in the midst of trying to lose 20-30 lbs).
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dude

I have been skinny

I have been fat

Dude, It's says "okay" not "happy". Regardless, if you were happy or okay with smoking, why did you quit?

I was okay/happy smoking for years

I quit because we had a baby and I wasn't going to smoke in her face and I didn't want to have to spend all my time standing outside smoking

simple as that

I have reaped many healthy benefits from the decision but that wasn't my motivation.

I just have a real problem stating that I "know" how anyone other than myself feels.

I have seen folks living in appalling circumstances be "okay/happy"

that is all I am getting at.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I just don't care that much.  Perhaps if I really was obese that would be different, but I don't feel strongly about my current weight.  In fact, I don't think about it hardly at all, and am pretty happy.

For me, hitting 30lbs over and needing to move up to a 34 waist did it (that's where I'm at now). I'm NOT happy about it. When I was 10lbs over, I shrugged it off. I was in denial (this is me personally, not you) because as I was gaining it (due to over indulgence and lack of activity) I flat out ignored the fact that I would only continue to get bigger.

Well, now I'm too damn big. I swore it would never happen to me, but it did. My face is a lot more "plump" than it is in my avatar, now.

Simply put - I eat too much, and I drink too much. I also do next to zero physical activity. Honestly, it's amazing I'm as skinny as I am. Many people with my bad habits are much larger.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me, hitting 30lbs over and needing to move up to a 34 waist did it (that's where I'm at now). I'm NOT happy about it. When I was 10lbs over, I shrugged it off. I was in denial (this is me personally, not you) because as I was gaining it (due to over indulgence and lack of activity) I flat out ignored the fact that I would only continue to get bigger.

Well, now I'm too damn big. I swore it would never happen to me, but it did. My face is a lot more "plump" than it is in my avatar, now.

Simply put - I eat too much, and I drink too much. I also do next to zero physical activity. Honestly, it's amazing I'm as skinny as I am. Many people with my bad habits are much larger.

That is perfectly respectable.  I gain all winter while activities dwindle, and as soon as summer rolls around, I drop pounds.

My main point is that ideal size and weight can't bring happiness.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
,SNIP>

You and I are the same height and weight, but I am perfectly happy right where I am.

Don't chase your ideal body image hoping that will bring you happiness.  It won't.

I don't think you're "wrong" for liking yourself just the way you are. I also don't think I'm "wrong" for wanting to look, and feel, a little better.

Heck, I don't need to lose weight or to get in shape to be happy. I'm already pretty damn happy. However, being lighter, and healthier, will make me happier.

I'll be 40 this summer. Now, I don't have any hard data to back this up, but... I'd be willing to bet that the average 40 year old man in America can't run an 8 minute mile. I can. Considering that, just a few months ago, a 10 minute mile was tough, I'm pretty proud of my progress.

When I turn 40, I'll be lighter, healthier, and in better shape, than I was when I turned 30... and that feels pretty good.

To each his own...
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My main point is that ideal size and weight can't bring happiness.

And you're right. Even being 30lbs overweight, I'm still happy. I'm always happy. I believe happiness is a choice. When I say "I'm not happy about it", it's a figure of speech.

I still need to lose a few, though. My overall level of happiness will be the same as it is now, but I'll look and feel better.

Some folks are fat, because there are underlying emotional issues that need to be resolved. Me? I love to eat large amounts of food that taste good. "If a little is good, more is better". That sort of thing. My mental state has never changed - heavy or not. I just can't get away with eating like I used to, and I'll never be quite as active. My caloric requirements are falling (happens to everybody) both because of age, and because I'm not as active as I was years ago. Simple as that.

Some folks over eat because they're depressed, or God knows what. I just like food and relaxation too much.

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Well honestly I have always liked to eat so when I was fat I hated myself. I was 245 pounds in October (I am 6'2"), by December I was 204 and now I am 188. I feel better about myself but I am still working out to get to my lifting goals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You gained 30 and moved up to a 34?  How tall are you?  I'm 6'1 and wear a 34 inch waist, and while I don't have a 6 pack, I'm not fat either :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Nobody could possibly be "OK" with being obese.

You can be overweight and still be happy, but not happy about being overweight.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You gained 30 and moved up to a 34?  How tall are you?  I'm 6'1 and wear a 34 inch waist, and while I don't have a 6 pack, I'm not fat either :)

5'11". I'm thin enough at 170 and comfortably wear 32's. At 200 (where I am now), those 32's are pretty damn tight (like, hard to put on tight).

I was 155 in high school (same height), but I was skinny as a rail. I'll never be that thin again (not sure I'd really want to be), but at ~170, I strike a nice balance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd give up 5 years of my life to be thin forever.

sigh.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I suspect a little from column A, B and C.

I've known guys that were plenty happy being overweight and unhealthy. They were even happier  once they got into shape. It doesn't mean they weren't happy to begin with. *shrug*

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Nobody could possibly be "OK" with being obese.

I tried forever to convince myself that I was. It didn't work. Now I'm riding almost daily, yesterday I got to tool around downtown Chicago which just ruled, especially being down by the Chicago Fire Dept Acadamy and being a former firefighter.

I started riding again 6 weeks ago after a ten year break. I was literally having trouble with 100 yards flat then. Now I'm doing 2-4 miles at a time, an pushing HARD, yesterday I through it in the big ring for the first time on flat roads so I could push hard and keep up with Chicago traffic.  It hurt, It was great. My legs were quivering, this morning they were hurting, but it's a good hurt. I know next time I throw it in the big ring (in a few hours) it will be just a tad easier to do so. I'll also be able to go just a bit further and do it just a bit harder than yesterday.

It's nice getting into smaller clothes, it's nice having more energy no matter what I'm doing. I'm more productive at work because of the energy, so I can make more money. I'm lasting longer in bed It feels great to have my friends and family comment on the weight loss, And I like knowing that I'll have a longer and more fulfilling life.

Oh, and my diet has me eating fuggin Steak, Omelets, Bacon, Chicken, Salads, Shrimp, and other great stuff.

And the main things I can't have, bread, pasta, potatoes, are pretty much base foods that you add flavor too anyway.

My life is enriched by the weight loss, and the only bad part is that eating healthy isn't cheap, and I have to buy new clothes. Small prices to pay.  Being fat wears clothes out faster anyway, so that's all good.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5'11". I'm thin enough at 170 and comfortably wear 32's. At 200 (where I am now), those 32's are pretty damn tight (like, hard to put on tight).

I was 155 in high school (same height), but I was skinny as a rail. I'll never be that thin again (not sure I'd really want to be), but at ~170, I strike a nice balance.

Man, I'm 5' 11" and, at 200, I'd either break a leg or suffocate myself trying to get into 32's. At 200, I was wearing 36's.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#49]
They'd trade being fit for all the cheeseburgers in the world unless there was one in front of them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Fat people are not fat.  They just have big bones and a glandular problem.

Max
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top