Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2001 3:25:22 PM EDT
Today I experienced something for the first time.

Coyotes are/have been prevalent in my area for several years and have wreaked havoc as the top predator.  The rabbitt and quail populations are all but decimated, they (the coyotes) eat peoples cats and puppies and the deer are now being affected as well.

We all view them as pests and threats and they are a favorite target of varmint hunters.  I never really got into that but always welcomed an opportunity to get one.

Anyhow..........I am riding my Polaris on this beautiful afternoon..........I have the sun at my back and the Mississippi river to my right..........big, huge open field to my left.  As I am just soaking it all in I notice a Coyote about 600-700 yds away.

I had my Glock 27 with me and the thought just flashed through my mind "Wonder if I could catch it...then wonder if I could make a clean kill while trying to run it down"?

With that I threw it in 4x4 and gunned it out across the newly disked field.  Amazingly enough I managed to catch up with the yote' and connected with my third shot while running at about 25-30 mph.

From what I'd estimate to be about 30-35 yds. I managed a well placed shot right in the center of the base of the skull and it was a perfectly clean kill.

Young very healthy female.....appeared never to have had pups.

I suppose more than anything it was interesting from the standpoint of the Glock and the 165 gr. gdjhp from [url]www.Proload.com[/url] that I use.
Performance was flawless.

Anyone else ever "cowboyed" a coyote like this?

Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#1]
DAMN!  Nice shot!
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yee haaa! That's some good shootin'

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good shot.

------
"Them's good eatin."
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
A very nice shot!  And, assuming you didn't crash your vehicle in the process, nice driving, too!
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard of people doing this on horseback, but ATV back is a first.

(actually some people here have attempted it from pickup or jeep- some of those stories are canidates for the Darwin Awards...)
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
That's some pretty good shooting, I am pretty good with my left hand also.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah Waterdog, I heard when you do it with your left hand, it feels like someone else is doing it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
You mean like this one?

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/023/f3/xi/hH/Pn32323.jpg[/img]

Been there, done that.

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
(In a Julia Child voice) [i]"Remember, save the fur."[/i]
Coyote's have wonderful fur. Get it tanned either as a trophy or as a pelt for making that special girl a special coat.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
(In a Julia Child voice) [i]"Remember, save the fur."[/i]
Coyote's have wonderful fur. Get it tanned either as a trophy or as a pelt for making that special girl a special coat.
View Quote

I had mine made into a rug.  I'll try to round
up the pics and post them tomorrow.  It came out
really nice, well worth the $175 it cost me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You mean like this one?

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/023/f3/xi/hH/Pn32323.jpg[/img]

Been there, done that.

View Quote

Yep Scott...............just like that one......cept' mine was about twice that size and had really really large fangs[:D]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I've hunted [b]alot[/b] with handguns up here.
I'm grinning like that 'cause that coyote
completed my list of game animals that can be
legally taken in Ohio with a handgun.  From
red squirrels to whitetail deer, I've taken them
all.  That coyote wrapped it up.  A really proud
moment for any handgun hunter!

We're not going to get into the "mine's twice
as big as yours" arguement, are we??

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Does a shooting them from a Cat count? A farmer in Monroe had problems with them dragging his dog off his tractor (and subsequently kicking the coyotes off his dog) when he would plow his fields at night. He had me sit in the bucket of his Cat and lifted it about eight feet off the ground. After about ten minutes of plowing one runs up to the tractor trying to get the dog. By the time I get into position to shoot the little bastard is directly below and I am literaly shooting straight down at him (I'm glad I was using a shotgun that day). I got three of them that way in one night. BTW sitting in the bucket of a Cat for a few hours is not very comfortable.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I nearly waxed a coyote from the drivers seat with my G30 about 2 months back. The only thing that saved his ass was the shine of headlights from oncoming traffic. He just stood there under the only street light for 30 miles, staring at my in a perfect broadside shot. I just knew that the oncoming car would be a Highway Patrolman wanting to know why I was shooting from my vehicle on a state highway.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
We have made it a regular affair taking coyotes off of ATVs, snowmobiles, and tractors.  It is alot of fun.  We generally use a .22 pistol to do it.  I have some boys working for my that have roped a coyote (not to mention deer and whatever else they can get a loop around) or two from horseback.  That is a interesting, having a coyote charge your horse and you can't get rid of it.  A couple of years ago, one of the kids also roped a smaller black bear.  Tore the hell out of the horse and the bear before they got it killed, not to mention the outbuildings they were around.  His only words when I and the vet got out there were, "he may be small but the SOB is mean!"
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
No arguing from me Scott ol' pal................[:D]

Like I said...it was a real thrill and somewhat of a surprise.

I figured I'd have been outrun.......I do ride a Polaris 4x4 500 Mag w/ some mods, and it will hit right at 60 mph but through mushy fresh disked ground and driving one-handed part of the way I figured the oddds were w/ the yote'.

I do know that .40 hit real hard though.

Wish I'd taken a pic to post...........doh!!!

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know about your state but in most states it is illegal to hunt from a motorized vehicle.  So be careful who you share this event with.  I tried it with a turkey once and a 9mm but no luck. Funny thing I ran up on him and until I ran past him and had to stop and turn he was so scared he forgot he could fly. He just kept trying to outrun me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks slidelock......................locally I told almost no one.......just my parents and a guy at work.

Generally things like this, especially w/ yotes' are okay.

thanks for the concern though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top