Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2008 9:21:57 AM EDT
Cedar Rapids police officer stripped of duties
The Gazette

CEDAR RAPIDS - A Cedar Rapids police officer will never wear a law enforcement uniform anywhere again, according to an agreement between the officer and the government.

The agreement is part of a guilty plea Kevin Sims, 36, made to a federal misdemeanor charge Friday in U.S. District Court.

He admitted that while he was on duty as a police officer, he intentionally denied a citizen of rights provided by the Constitution when they had consensual sexual relations following a traffic stop.

Sims admitted he was a patrol officer in spring 2004 when he stopped at a bar about 1 a.m. to conduct a bar check. While there he greeted a woman he knew from previous bar checks.

A half-hour after Sims conducted the bar check, he used the emergency lights on his police car to stop the woman as she drove down Center Point Road. He did not alert the dispatcher he had stopped a vehicle as required by police department policy.

When Sims approached the woman, she told him she had a suspended license. Normal procedures required Sims to take her identification and call the dispatcher to verify her driving status. Instead, Sims took her to Daniels Park.

At the park Sims and the woman had intimate relations while Sims was still on duty, in his police uniform with his firearm still in his holster.

The woman voluntarily engaged in the acts believing that by doing so she would escape any criminal charges. Sims did not arrest the woman and did not issue a citation for driving on a suspended license. He did not report the traffic stop to the dispatcher or his supervisor.

In 2007, when Sims was interviewed about the incident by two FBI agents, he denied involvement. Later, when the agents presented more information, he admitted he had sexual relations with the woman.

Sims will be sentenced by Judge Jon Scoles following completion of a presentence report by the probation office.

He faces up to a year in prison and a $1,000 fine. Scoles released Sims without bail to await sentencing.

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080119/NEWS/110637527/1006/news

I hope he get's prison time.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If he walks with just losing his job he is getting off easy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You guys just don't understand what he goes through everyday in his duties.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Why?  Aren't all you people wanting police to be on the same level as the rest of society?  If a corporate lawyer bangs his secretary so she can get promoted does he go to jail?

F-it.  Nevermind.  I need a cigarette.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Aren't all you people wanting police to be on the same level as the rest of society?  If a corporate lawyer bangs his secretary so she can get promoted does he go to jail?

If a landlord does in exchange for rent he would.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
HTF is that a Federal "misdemeanor"
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I'm not making up my mind based on just one side of the story.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Expensive shot of ass right there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm withholding judgement on the cop until I get pics of the woman in question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

To easy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No but if a lawyer bangs a client for a reduced rate towards defending a case then the lawyer can be disbarred and criminal charges can be filed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No but if a lawyer bangs a client for a reduced rate towards defending a case then the lawyer can be disbarred and criminal charges can be filed.

What if I dressed up like a cop and pulled that shit?

They would call it rape!  How is this any different?
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#15]
too bad this didn't apply to Columbus Police Detectives
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#16]
"HTF is that a Federal "misdemeanor"

US Code Title 18 Section 242
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Bad Lieutenant! Reeeally bad.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Isn't this one of the DEFINITIONS of RAPE?

I believe it's called "Rape under duress" or "Rape under color of Authority."
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Isn't this one of the DEFINITIONS of RAPE?

I believe it's called "Rape under duress" or "Rape under color of Authority."

In my opinion, yes. He should be in prison.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Not too long ago a captin's wife called him when she wrecked her car drunk in the snow, so he drove out to help her....drunk......No on duty guys wanted to arrest him so they called the shift supervisor to do it and he was arrested and spent the night in jail wit his wife. I think he was fired too. They have had some problems there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#21]
We see a lot of cops behaving as if they are a different class of person.  They expect it and share the attitude with others of their ilk.  This is NOT one of those cases.  This guy would not brag about this conquest to his brothers in blue.  If he did, I'd expect a beat down, followed by an arrest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top