BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If MLK had not been killed, do you think we would even know who he is today? Would he be another Jesse or Al? Or is he just a martyr b/c he was killed by whitey?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I forgot... the meeting of the "DAMMIT MY 15 MINUTES AIN'T UP YET!" club was today, wasn't it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It was just some kids fighting, nothing to see here-move along
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If MLK had not been killed, do you think we would even know who he is today? Would he be another Jesse or Al? Or is he just a martyr b/c he was killed by whitey?

i though he was shot by a black guy?

ed.  nope.
James Earl Ray
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm afraid his message is lost on todays world.

Tj

Not lost, but twisted and perverted for political and financial gain.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I met the man.  Though definitely not a saint, he truly did believe in racial unity not division.

Tj

TJ, could you elaborate on your story? Where did you meet him?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I met the man.  Though definitely not a saint, he truly did believe in racial unity not division.

Tj

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagged for TJ's story.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i though he was shot by a black guy?

ed.  nope.
James Earl Ray
I think you were thinking of Malcom X. He was killed by Farrakans people.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Its kind of a funny story.  He led a peace march to my hometown.  No celebrities ever came there nor did we have any real racial problems then.  It was a small segregated town but the type town that when the white pool was too crowded or you didn't have money, white kids would go swim in the black pool.  We did have separate schools but no separate facilities like restaurants or water fountains.  It was a city that pretty much was segregated because well that's just the way things were done not really a division or hatred.  That all came after forced integration.  

He was met at a store parking lot by the mayor and highschool band where he was given the key to city.  

His march was actually suppose to go farther but I head him say, "I think we went one city too far already."  After a speech, he turned the march back around and half because I thought it cool and half it was the same way I need to go home.  I tagged along.  Being young then, he took a liking to me and allowed me to walk along with him.

It was kind of strange though.  The media had played the whole thing up as death and destruction was coming our way.  Many people hid in their homes expecting the worst.  All that gloom and doom simply didn't happen and his ten mile march I guess lost in history now due to the lack of anything happening.  

His march started in Huntington WV and into KY just a couple towns in.  They have started  commemorating the event in Huntington again with a march but its really short now and very few people really attend.  Not too many attended then either.  There were more people greeting him than marched with him by far.  

I can't remember the year, but do remember it was the same year the Beatles made their infamous statement about being more popular than Jesus which was also taken out of context by the media.  I remember because I went to the album burning to scarf up on albums.  

Tj

Thats one of the neatest stories Ive read on arfcom, its really cool that you got to really touch history. Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but I'm pretty sure that King would be considered an Uncle Tom nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why do you think Malcolm X isnt as revered? Him being killed by black people doesn't make for a good feel good story.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you think Malcolm X isnt as revered? Him being killed by black people doesn't make for a good feel good story.

And it helps that MLK wasnt so ..... ya know.....militant.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Its kind of a funny story.  He led a peace march to my hometown.  No celebrities ever came there nor did we have any real racial problems then.  It was a small segregated town but the type town that when the white pool was too crowded or you didn't have money, white kids would go swim in the black pool.  We did have separate schools but no separate facilities like restaurants or water fountains.  It was a city that pretty much was segregated because well that's just the way things were done not really a division or hatred.  That all came after forced integration.  

He was met at a store parking lot by the mayor and highschool band where he was given the key to city.  

His march was actually suppose to go farther but I head him say, "I think we went one city too far already."  After a speech, he turned the march back around and half because I thought it cool and half it was the same way I need to go home.  I tagged along.  Being young then, he took a liking to me and allowed me to walk along with him.

It was kind of strange though.  The media had played the whole thing up as death and destruction was coming our way.  Many people hid in their homes expecting the worst.  All that gloom and doom simply didn't happen and his ten mile march I guess lost in history now due to the lack of anything happening.  

His march started in Huntington WV and into KY just a couple towns in.  They have started  commemorating the event in Huntington again with a march but its really short now and very few people really attend.  Not too many attended then either.  There were more people greeting him than marched with him by far.  

I can't remember the year, but do remember it was the same year the Beatles made their infamous statement about being more popular than Jesus which was also taken out of context by the media.  I remember because I went to the album burning to scarf up on albums.  

Tj

Cool story. Thanks for telling it.  The sad thing is that if someone started speaking the message of MLK today it would fall on deaf ears.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top