Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/30/2001 5:18:30 PM EDT
FOX NEWS Just reported:

That sources within the government have reported that they have picked up the code word "Big EVENT" through ease dropping. That also sources(Unnamed) reported that Weapons grade nuclear material was shipped into the US through Boguta Columbia.  They said this is what led to the issuing of a Warning this week from the FBI.  I have no more details.

Just a HEADS UP. AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They also said that not knowing anything else it could be against American Interests abroad.

Not meaning to be Alarming.

I have been paying attention but often as we all know details are contradictory.  So You can't really make heads or tails of it.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've checked Fox News online and on cable and there is NOTHING like this mentioned.

I'm calling bullshit on this one.  Prove it and provide links.
View Quote

MOST news sites are not updated until a few HOURS after it breaks on the TV. Even (hack) CNN

BullDog OUT
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you imagine the result of just ONE low yield nuke in NYC, World Series or SuperBowl as examples?

Wonder if the politicos will have the stones THEN to get serious about nuking these vermin off my planet?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw the same info on fox news. Just to let people know he isn't talking crap.  I can confirm Fox has stated this on tv.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
MeirinMD

It was on TV and during the time Ollie North was talking. I can't provide links because I was finishing another message when it came on. I think theres some Bullshit in it too, but I thought that I would post it anyways because I have been hearing about the warning but havn't heard anything about what sparked it. So when this was Aired it was pertinent to my own internal questioning and thinking. Disregard at will. It had meaning to me, so I just thought that it might have meaning to others.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
They aren't saying nuke either.  They are saying radioactive material mixed with conventional explosives are more likely.  Just spreading fallout.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Defcon having a second helps.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the clarification gunman.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing abroad about it.Time to put the hose to that fire.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I just heard the story on FoxNews on cable.

My apologies to Benjamin0001.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hay wait a second.  Hannity or Colmes was the one who said it and it was after The charlie Daniels interview. It will be on again.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No problem MeirinMD. No offense whatsoever taken. everythings cool.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
If one has weapons-grade plutonium, then it would be very easy to produce a nuclear device. At this point, it would be more of an exercise to not kill anyone while you make the weapon.

If one doesn't have weapons-grade, then there are two choices: produce a dirty nuke or a poor man's neutron bomb, or try and refine it. Refining is extremely difficult, time/money consuming, and hard to keep a secret.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
You show me the middle eastern terrorists who have the one machine tools(to produce not only millionth tolerance fittings, but shaped charges) The switches necessary to fire off (nanosecond timing) those same shaped charges.
The russians can do it. I would guess the Middle Easterners don't have the machine tools to do it , nor the knowhow.  Hell my brother is a tool and die man and I bet he couldn't even pull that one off. An Ex navy tool and die guy.

I would guess that it will probably have to be a dirty bomb. Unless its a russian nuke.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If one has weapons-grade plutonium, then it would be very easy to produce a nuclear device.
View Quote

Define, "easy"
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
In fact if one does not have weapons grade plutonium OR uranium then they can not make a nuclear bomb of ANY kind, clean, dirty or neutron!  An implosion bomb is far from simple.  A critical mass bomb like Little Boy requires a considerable amount of fissionable material.

They can, however, use conventional explosives to distribute radioactive material.  Crude but nasty.  Unlikely to have high death rate but considerable radiation sickness possible.  Multiply anthrax by 1000!  Clean-up would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT and expensive if in a developed area.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The development of shaped charges is something which takes considerable time. To make an amount of explosive explode with shock waves producing a certain geometric shape. If you have ever watched an X-ray movie of shaped charges going off around a simulated nuclear core you will instantly see the problem.  The shock waves must be set up and focused with secondary explosives Its like reactive armor. An explosion to reverse the direction of an explosion. Very cool stuff, very very very time critical.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Mickey Mouse, we can't nuke first because of many existing treaties we have signed.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If one has weapons-grade plutonium, then it would be very easy to produce a nuclear device.
View Quote

Define, "easy"
View Quote

Easy in concept.  Most exacting in implementation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember the shaped charges stolen from that oil company awhile back?  Could that work with their little master plan.  There was a post on here, I just remembered it when I kept hearing "shaped charges".

Here it is [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=59769[/url]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Much more likely that these dirtbags would make a radiological weapon rather than a nuke.  It's much easier to do this kind of thing than to assemble a fission or fusion nuclear device.

"Radition weapon or radiological weapon, a bomb or warhead that uses conventional chemical explosives to disperse radioactive material. Designed to produce radiation sickness in a military force or a civilian population instead of destroy a target, radiation weapons typically consist of a highly radioactive material encased in lead and surrounded by a high explosive."  - [url]http://www.bartleby.com/65/ce/CE7-radweap.html[/url]

- CD

PS: If they set one of these off, I sure hope we take the gloves off.  Afghanistan was whining "genocide" today in the news -- I don't think so.  Set off one of these puppies and we'll have some genocide.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Fermi, Kistiakowski, Bohr, Szilard, Frisch, Lawrence, Feynman, Compton, Bush, Conant, Lookmis, Einstein all those guys are frickin Brilliant.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember the shaped charges stolen from that oil company awhile back?
View Quote

They couldn't use the shaped charges as-is.  The trigger for an implosion type trigger has to be very exacting to millionths of an inch.  The explosives are shaped something similar to the way eyeglasses are ground.

Also the timing of the explosion has to be exact, otherwise the pressure blows out to one side and there's no nuclear detonation...but just a local explosion with a radioactive cloud covering a few blocks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know anything about nukes, that's why I was asking.  I just remembered the thing about the shaped charges and thought it coulda been connected.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#25]
One thing the government does need is someway to classify the source. But it was enough for them to call a Police and National Alert, so I don't know.  I am saying this one may be credible. At least the FBI thought so.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thank you Defcon having a second helps.

Benjamin
View Quote

3rd, I saw it too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, If I was them, I'd go for it.  Attempt a real nuke with whatever material you have.  Try your best, set it off on the top of a tall building.  If it starts a fission detonation, they destroy the city.  If it fails, it just created a nasty mess of airborne radioactive material.  Also, in case of failure, have another explosive charge below your nuke set to a delay to go off a few seconds after the nuke detonates.  If it doesn't create a nuclear yield, the second/delayed charge will scatter the radioactive material into a huge cloud to fall on the city.

Sears tower observation deck would be perfect, but security is too tight.  How 'bout the space needle?  Or maybe hit the CN tower in Canada if their secutriy is lower.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They couldn't use the shaped charges as-is.  The trigger for an implosion type trigger has to be very exacting to millionths of an inch.  The explosives are shaped something similar to the way eyeglasses are ground.
View Quote

And they couldn't obtain and possibly use eyeglass equipment.  Or just ask N. Korea for help.  They have an active nuclear program, but just lack the plutonium.  I'm sure they'd love to help attack the U.S. without having to worry about us thinking they were involved.

Edited because I F'd up my quote.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#29]
....EDITED CONTENT REMOVED BECAUSE IT WAS TOO GOOD AN IDEA by Me...... Suffice next message to give the correct impression.....

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Just thinking out loud. I have heard that some big rigs have come up missing. I have heard that several hundred pounds of HE were stollen from the Houston area. Add in a little radiological material. Build a bomb w/ HE + LPG or Petrol and add in the radiological material and drive it to the target area of your choosing. Now where can I get some camo tinfoil and a fallout shelter.
I am just throwing it out there. What do you guys think is 'next'? Maybe nothing, maybe a lot of things. Oh well, God is in charge and I am ok with him.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
The Terrorists Big EGO'S are working for us right now.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#32]
It seems as if too many pieces of this puzzle are comming together.  First you have not only the Big Rigs, but also the stolen Uhauls reported several weeks ago. Then you have the stolen explosives (which I think were found in Houston), But no matter because they probably have all they need anyway. And now you have the report of nuclear material being smuggled in through columbia.  That is three different variables all of which would be used in exactly the same manner. And that makes a picture. I am going to say that this is probably going to go down tomorrow. Halloween.  FUCKERS!!!!!!!  

Dear God please let me be wrong???

Ben
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Great. I'm on the Oak Ridge border.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#34]
All we can do is hope and pray that nothing happens.  Anything that causes the loss of life will be a tragedy.  
Halloween is the worst possible time for something like this to happen.  The streets will be filled with children.  Large groups of people at parties, etc.  
I too hope nothing happens.  I will be on pins and needles tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#36]
On the counter side of this, The borders have been very tight. To say that something got smuggled in from columbia would be taken by all to be gospel because we all know that columbia was smuggling narcotics into the country before any of this happens. And the best way to get someone to except something is to tell them something along with new information that they new to be true before hand. IOW, make the new information appear to go along with what has already been accepted <--- A manipulation technique no doubt.  So there is the counter information. Weigh it. Be Reasonable with it. Judge accordingly.  It is a credible threat. But it can also be looked at from the POV of exactly what should be said if your wanting people to accept what you are saying.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#37]
But counter to that also is I can't explain away the intercepted information (gotten by eavesdropping) of people talking of a "BIG EVENT".

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fermi, Kistiakowski, Bohr, Szilard, Frisch, Lawrence, Feynman, Compton, Bush, Conant, Lookmis, Einstein all those guys are frickin Brilliant.
View Quote

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm a wannabe physicist (physics major) and even understanding the most basic elements of some of these guys' works is hard enough...but to come up with it...  I can't even imagine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, got another ten 30 rounders loaded. Twenty more to go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I am in Awe myself Zoonan, always have been. I am wanting to finish my Engineering degree, but I busy being self-employed right now.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Fermi and Kistiakowski are my all time favorites.  

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, although I'm not 100% sure anything at all will happen, it is very possible.  Remember the level of education some of the previous terrorists had obtained.  So, what if one guy becomes a nuclear engineer, one becomes a physicist, and another a pyrotechnical expert.  Now we have a well assembled team willing to die, and armed with a lot of knowledge for use in creating the ultimate weapon.

A simple "dirty" nuke radiation weapon is most likely.  Or a completely different plan is possible.  This whole radiation thing could be to distract us, or something being built up for use 10 years from now.  These guys a patient evil bastards.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#43]
In the early nineties I heard of a story whereby the US payed with gold in the amount of $40 Million dollars given to the Russian government in order to purchase weapons grade material and get it out of the country.  I also read another story whereby they stopped a train heading into Iran to do the same thing.  Anyone else recall these stories???

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Regarding the difficulty of building a nuclear bomb:

The first bomb was made from scratch over 50 years ago at a time when the whole idea was just a theory, there were no "weapons grade" fissionables available anywhere and all the computing power in the United States was less than what's available in a $10 calculator today.  

Pakistan, a poor country with a 43% literacy rate, has nukes.  Pakistani intelligence has close ties to the Taliban.  Pakistan's entry into the nuclear club caught the CIA by surprise.

Making an efficient, reliable thermonuclear warhead that can be stuck on a missile, left in a silo for decades, blasted into space and detonated on target on the other side of the world is very, very hard.  Making a crude, low yield nuclear bomb that will be detonated on site is a lot easier.

[:\]

On the bright side, though, the terrorists might just settle for a radiological bomb that will force the evacuation of New York or Washington. [%|]

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I have posted on here for a couple of days now about the anthrax being a diversionary tactic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
And ties between Pakistan and afghanistan are existing and well established, and OSAMA "The Rat Bastard" Bin Laden has made his home in Afghanistan. And now this. Hmmmmmmmm.........

Now I am beginning to understand what the hell this is all about.  This war is about Nuclear Proliferation, Terrorism and the link between the two.  

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey, I know!!!...if we keep coming up with good ideas, maybe they'll use 'em against us!!!

jeez Louise...[:E]

(discretion?  whuttzat?)[>:/]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
That is the only thing that can cause our nation to act like this. Anthrax is bad, but Nuclear bombs which will be fallin on our heads because some crack pot has linked up with some third world rag head government nextdoor to a New Nuclear power which are friendly to each other is a recipe for disaster whithin the next 5 years.  We also have the reports that the US is training and practicing to steal all the nukes out of pakistan.  So that has led me to believe that that nation may well go down from a governmental standpoint or is at least a possible scenario.  And for the first time I can see the whole sitauation since this thing started.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't get me wrong being attacked as we were is a good enough reason to start a war. But now that provides a long term security goal, one that can be accomplished.  And one that my mind can accept as being a useful objective.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have heard that several hundred pounds of HE were stollen from the Houston area. Add in a little radiological material. Build a bomb w/ HE + LPG or Petrol and add in the radiological material and drive it to the target area of your choosing.
View Quote

I'll gladly bust this one up.  My next door neighbor is a LEO that works the area where the HE was stolen, and he said it was recovered within a week, as well as the yahoos who stole it.

God Bless Texas
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top