Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 12:46:22 PM EDT
There is a picture of what is described as a US Army Special Forces soldier on the cover of last week's Newsweek.  He is wearing an unusual helmet and carrying an M4 with parts from the SOPMOD kit.  

The helmet has squiggles of the helmet shell material all over it and a clip (for night vision?) embedded in the front.

Anyone know what helmet it is?  It does not look like the new MICH helmet and certainly not like the PASGT helmet.

Sorry I don't have a scanner so I can't post a copy of the picture.  

Thanks.

Frances  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the helmet, although I do know that the bracket on the front is for attaching night vision goggles, but I got a real laugh out of the article where they are showing all the gear that they use and they have a rocket launcher (AT4?) labeled as a bazooka.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Hopolite.  I don't rely on any reporter to get the facts right with regard to the military (or anything else for that matter).

Still, the pictures are interesting and its harder for them to garble the information in the pictures.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I studied that picture for a long time.  I decided that that M4 has seen an awful lot of abuse.  I wonder how the headspace is doing?  It was beat to hell!  

The guy pictured looks a lot like a woman.  Odd.

Also, the M9 pictured inside is locked upon with no magazine in it (I think, I can't remember now), but the other weapons appear with a magazine in them and ready to go (no ammo obviously).

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If you look at the M-4 its actually NOT beat up but camoed with Boflauge. Some of the paint is worn off.
I had a buddy in the Special Forces and they all camoed up their guns.  They were allowed to do this as long as they cleaned it all off before they went back into the Armory.
They actually used Bowflauge(sic).

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top