Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 9:30:31 AM EDT
My parents informed me of a possible move there, so I wanna know what the laws are like and are there lots of places to shoot, and anything else cool in general?

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It's vewy, vewy hot here.  Hang on I have to go out tot he sidewalk and fry some eggs, brb.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothern part has seasons, central and southern are hot and have monsoon type rains. Open carry is legal. CCW for everyone. Can own Class3
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember what the sand box in the play ground looked like when you were a kid? Imagine that same sand box the size of a state.

AZ has it's nice spots in the north though...just depends on where you're going to move to.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Come and visit, and form your own opinion. It's a really cool place to live, if you like the desert. It's hotter than hell in the summer, but you can't beat the winters. No helmet laws for motorcycles, open carry for weapons, concealed carry laws, and much more. There are good places to shoot, plenty of ranges around, just be prepared for a lot of people there, too. If you're moving to Phoenix, it's a big city, almost as big as L.A. in actual city coverage, and that means there are a lot of people here, everywhere. We have all 4 major sports franchises, unfortunately the Cardinals are in that mix, but the Diamondbacks are doing pretty good. Lot's of bugs, lizards, and snakes. If you don't like creepy-crawly stuff, you won't like it here. I already caught two scorpions in my apt. this year, and it's only november. Most of all, don't listen to people that don't/haven't lived here, it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Illini, tell them what you would leave behind:

FOID Cards.
3 day wait Handguns/1 day wait Rifles.
No Concealed Carry
Lots of Local restrictions.
No Machine Guns.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Ever been to or seen the MOON?

Just kidding, its a nice place. up north and north east is REALLY nice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Arizona is beautiful.  Wish I could move there myself...particularly up around Flagstaff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My opinion is probably tarnished by the fact that I spent 3 years in Yuma, which is just behind Satan's nutsack.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead - Yuma behind Satan's nutsack?!  Dude, I've been here 20+ years and like it more each day.  You have the awesome sunsets, you're far enough from the big cities to avoid the hassles there, but a couple of hour drive and you have  the ocean, or mountains or number of big cities (when you just want to visit,) the high heat keeps the wusses away, and tons of neat places to go shooting/exploring out in the desert.      
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to live both Phoenix and Tucson.  I love AZ and will probably move back some day.  My choice would be Tucson area though - Phoenix has gotten too large.  Flagstaff is nice, but if you're going to live in AZ, who wants snow in the winter?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ever been to or seen the MOON?
View Quote

You mean Arizona is 238,000 miles from Earth (on average) and the temperature ranges from 270 degrees above zero during the day to 170 degrees below zero at night?  Do you mean Arizona has no atmosphere and covered with craters from meteor impacts?

Wow... I have to check Arizona out sometime!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I am thinking of looking for a home in the Prescott Valley area of AZ.

Or possibley further south..maybe Sierra Vista.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
wessono: The tap water tastes like sledgehammered dogsh!t, the snowbirds make driving especially hazardous for half the year (picture RVs doing three point turns in traffic), the place is just big enough to have all of the problems of a city without any of the benefits, the bars close at 11, more than 100 gangs (a buddy of mine is a cop there)... and those are just a few off the top of my head.

I don't mind heat. I worked outside everyday there, and had no problem except the salt rings fading my cammies out and staining my boots.

Now, Yuma does have a few good restaurants, Sprague's gun store and proximity to Mexico (OK's fan club in San Luis, MX) but I don't see how the positives outweigh the negatives, at least for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
My impressions of Southern AZ.

Wide open spaces separated by mountain ranges

Hot during day

Cold at night

Brown, except for the rainy season which is short

Lots of places to shoot

Rattlesnakes [shock]

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Or possibley further south..maybe Sierra Vista.
View Quote

Sierra Vista is a pretty cool place. All the ammenities; hiking, hunting, caving, golf, good restaraunts, a couple of decent gun shops, bowling alley, movie theaters.
Lots of good people, a few a$$holes.
The weather is ALOT cooler than Tucson.
Anyhow, I like S.V.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AZ is one of the best states in the country for gun owners.

Open-Carry
Shall issue CCW
Machine gun friendly
Lots of competitive shooting
Plenty of places to shoot
Politically the state is largely conservative
View Quote

Ohhh...Oh really?

Well maybe the great state of Kalifornia should transfer about 10M of it's progressive voters to Arizona an squash any such thoughts.  Remember Czechoslovakia?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Hot but they have good gun laws. (If you can call gun laws good!)

Oh yeah did i mention, HOT!

If you hate snow, Arizonia is great!

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Jarhead: 100 gangs?! My brother in law is a Yuma LEO and my neighbor is a DPS officer - in speaking to them 100 gangs is way out of line. Anyway, as to the rest, you see the glass half empty - I see it half full. End of story.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I like Mesa. I am still trying to get a job out there. Shit I'm just trying to get another job period. My target states are, TX, AZ or FL. Use to date a girl from Page, AZ and I have a couple of friends in Mesa and Scottsdale. Really pretty areas. IMO
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you see the glass half empty - I see it half full. End of story.
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#22]
... go pick up several past issues of "Arizona Highways" and see for yourself.

... Politically, the boys here pretty much nailed it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the work climate like? Specifically, for an electrician. Any electricians in AZ on the board here?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's the work climate like? Specifically, for an electrician. Any electricians in AZ on the board here?
View Quote

My neighbor moved here from NY and seems to be doing well for himself.

I've got to get him to go out shooting with me though, then he'll be a Good neighbor [;)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#25]
i've been there just a couple of times for visitin'.  but i liked it.  and don't let that "it's a dry heat" thing fool ya.  yeah, it's a dry heat, and you won't sweat just from walking out your front door like you do here in the midwest.  but in the midwest you don't walk out your front door and into a freakin' oven cooking the thanksgiving turkey at 500 degrees either.  that's exactly what it feels like leaving an air conditioned home for the outside:  a furnace blast.

went to flagstaff too.  bee-yoo-tiful.  and nicer weather.  but the thousands of feet difference in elevation might have something to do with that.

ditto on the politics and guns stuff from everybody else.  

i like it well enough to join the fiance in about 3 weeks.

but, guys, we have to find a replacement for McCain, okay?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Fine Fine Boilermaker country out here...Illini??..maybe too hot for ya.
Kidding.

AZ is awesome check out these links.
www.arizonahighways.com
www.azcentral.com

Lots of great outdoors. On the azcentral follow the outdoor links.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah...McCain's become quite liberal.

Scenery: The movie [b]Three Kings[/b] was filmed here if that gives you an idea...hehe.  Ok, that was filmed at an abandoned mine.  There's a lot of desert, and some real nice mountain areas.

Climate: This is where the "moon" analogy comes in.  On the moon, the difference between shade and direct sun is about 400 degrees.  In Arizona in August, it feels about the same between being outside and in a supermarket (them supermarkets crank that air conditioning!)

That "dry heat" thing is only a help...not a solution.  For example, at 90 degrees, we're quite happy.  But above..say...105, it's just plain hot.  7-9 months of the year though it's great!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
... oops sorry, I just checked to population meter.
You'll have to stay in Illinois until an opening comes up.
Stay pur everyone. No room left, right?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#29]
"What is Arizona Like"

Bin Laden has a summer cave there[:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#30]
well since no one has done this yet

"BUT its a [b]DRY[/b] heat!!!

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Dry heat my ass.

The frick'n monsoon sucks for humidity. And the monsoon is becoming the nonsoon lately. Lots of humidity and no rain.

I have been here for almost 20 years now, the population is booming and taking away all the good shooting/riding spots. I used to be able to drive 15 minutes from Tempe (almost centrally located in the valley) to go shooting or riding my dirt bike. Now... shit, almost an hour for some place where you "think" it is ok, only be told that the land is now private.

Lordtrader, Arizona is always off on the hire/fire trends. It is almost 30-40 degrees off. When the rest of the country is losing jobs we still have openings. But the last couple of years are a slowly sync'n up with the rest of the world. Right now, the valley is just getting ready for the layoffs. But we still generally have good job oportunities. That is why I am not worried for losing my job. They just have to worry for when I quit [;)]. Right now where I work we are so understaffed, but management (based out of San Franciso, and Demoines) doesn't understand.

A piece of triva, Phoenix used to be the best test market for products. We had the biggest mix of the population but we were generally not affected by the California influence, somewhat isolated. But that to, is over.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#32]
spent 5 great years in Phoenix in the Air Force.  

Black canyon shooting range (renamed to something new), Phoenix shooters supply, lots of gun stores, lots of desert, great quail and dove hunting, fine ladies (the Devilhouse [}:D]), The Mason Jar, Metrocenter, Whiskey River, Minderbinders, horrible summers, great winters, would love to go back someday!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#33]
 Jeff, it's like CA without all the bull*hit. i.e.(gun laws, bleeding hearts, earthquakes) You'll love it.[:D]
coyote3
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Arizona is basically ground zero for zeros. Really, people here rank something like 48th in the education system. In Tucson we have two major employers, Davis Monthan AirForced base & Raytheon, both potential terrorist targets! Everything else is a minimum wadge job.

Our tourist attractions:

The Grand Canyon (a big hole in the ground)

Cartchner Caverns (a large set of caves/holes in the ground. Mispelled.)

Mine tours. (a large hole in the ground with tracks in the ground.)

Sadonia (A very beautiful City. They have the only McDonnalds known with green golden arches because of their strict zoning codes or something like that.)

Meteor Creator (A big hole in the ground where part of Star Man was filmed at.)

The ghost towns (Abandoned Towns next to Mines which are big holes in the ground.)

Lost dutchman mine. (Hole in the ground that's location has been forgottin.)

Mogollan Rim (Hole filled with water on top of a mountain.)

There is also a train ride in a big hole in the ground, but I forgot what that one is called.
---
Trolljoy
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Me like'um AZ in the winter,and not a greyhair on my head.[:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#37]
A contrast of terrain and weather.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Zapata,
  They are popping up new homes like crazy. Well, not as crazy as they used to. Anyhow, the work looks pretty decent for electricians.  

Now, Arizona as a state to live in.
It depends on the type of person you are.
If you are a city person your best bet is Phoenix or the east valley. Phoenix is not as culturally advanced as most cities, but it has a little to offer. Most of the jobs are in Phoenix also. So, unless you are financially independent you may have to live in or near Phoenix.
 Phoenix gets hot in the summer, but the winters are comfortable. I prefer heat over cold. Phoenix ( southern Arizona) has two seasons, summer and not summer. Northern Arizona goes through the four seasons.
  Arizona is generally and outdoors and casual type state. Don't expect high class, Broadway plays, good museums, good public parks, good public transit, and others.

Expect-
  Slow to decent night life. Plenty enough malls and places to spend your money (atleast in Phoenix). The big movie theaters (like AMC 24 with 24 screens). Pretty good food. If you know good seafood, then don't expect it here. We live in a desert.
 Crime is relatively low, jobs pay decent and the cost of live although increased is fair. Schools are good. No natural disasters to deal with (blizzards, earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding).
 The state is gun friendly and there are enough places to shoot. I prefer to shoot at South Mountain. You can shoot all day for only $5 and it's fairly close to my home.

Overall, I would rate Arizona as good. You can't have it all but Arizona does fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's the work climate like? Specifically, for an electrician. Any electricians in AZ on the board here

Im an electrician in Az, what do you want to know? The wages are ok. Underground in the summer sucks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...great quail and dove hunting...
View Quote

Ditto THAT! I go to AZ a couple of times a year to shoot birds. The area around Yuma is a dove hunter's paradise. Further north, I've seen quail so thick on the ground there are too many to count. It's HOT but not unbearable. That's why god invented air conditioning, swimming pools, and beer. [:D]
View Quote

So Big Bear..where are the quail so thick you can't count them?  Inquiring hunters want know ....[:D]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I miss SoCal beaches, El Pollo Loco, In & Out burger and CA womenz

We've got El Pollo Loco (yummy) and In and Out Booger

(overrated and every time they open one up the whole damn place is filled with former dildo-headed Kalifornikators for about a month, so you can't eat there anyway!)

But still no beaches. I keep playing "Aenima" by Tool and praying for Tidal Waves, but to no avail...

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#42]
donw worry as soon as Kommiefornia fllas into the ocean we will have beaches soon enough [:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My opinion is probably tarnished by the fact that I spent 3 years in Yuma, which is just behind Satan's nutsack.
View Quote

MCAS I take it.

Actually I like Arizona, even though I live in LA I love the desert. I used to live in Eastern Washington State and Barstow/Needles, CA. Have Aunt in AZ.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally posted by azexarms-

snip-We've got El Pollo Loco (yummy) and In and Out Booger-snip
View Quote

Yuhkk!

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome....Simply friggin awesome. I go there as often as I can to escape this hellhole.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Wickedly hot.
Machine gun friendly, and home of the World Champion ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS. (soon)
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Without water in 5 years. I would really appreciate it if you would move somewhere else.

Just recently, an area that I had shot in for 35 years, was closed down to shooters because of urban encroachment.

Waterdog

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss SoCal beaches, El Pollo Loco, In & Out burger and CA womenz

We've got El Pollo Loco (yummy) and In and Out Booger
D. www.azexarms.com
View Quote

Being one of those ex-kalifornikators, I gots to ask; Where are the In & Out Burgers?
They may lose a little of thier appeal if you haven't sat on the beach , watching bikinis go by. A little nostalgia might make things taste better. Or maybe they are just cooked better in Kal. The fries are great, too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Being one of those ex-kalifornikators, I gots to ask; Where are the In & Out Burgers?
They may lose a little of thier appeal if you haven't sat on the beach , watching bikinis go by. A little nostalgia might make things taste better. Or maybe they are just cooked better in Kal. The fries are great, too.
View Quote

While everything does go better with bikini-clad surf-bunnies, there are In-N-Outs at Frank Lloyd Wright & Scottsdale, Dysart & McDowell, Priest & Ray, and Stapley & US-60.

I drive around a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top