Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2007 7:33:37 PM EDT
Was it just me or did it seem a tad dangerous shooting that musket out on the airbase with no back stop ?

Or the steam machine gun as they had little idea of how far it would throw a ball bearing when they fired it up the first time

Im sure the buildings behind them were miles away but damn it looked bad to me
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
it irked me that they said "hot water heater"

i found the episode fairly entertaining, though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was it just me or did it seem a tad dangerous shooting that musket out on the airbase with no back stop ?

Or the steam machine gun as they had little idea of how far it would throw a ball bearing when they fired it up the first time

Known MER of the Musket is 200-300m...

So the bullet WILL fall to the dirt long before it gets 'anywhere'....

Modern centerfire rifles are quite different...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got through watching it

I thought it was cool

I don't think the musket was going to go the 4 miles + to those buildings

JMO
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Known MER of the Musket is 200-300m...

So the bullet WILL fall to the dirt long before it gets 'anywhere'....

Modern centerfire rifles are quite different...

I didn't catch the entire episode, but it looked like the gun had a percussion cap, not a flintlock, which I believe would indicate that it was a muzzleloading rifle.  Which would make its lethal range, what, 800m?  If I remember correctly, Civil War rifles had sight graduations out to at least 500 yards.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I didn't catch the entire episode, but it looked like the gun had a percussion cap, not a flintlock, which I believe would indicate that it was a muzzleloading rifle.  Which would make its lethal range, what, 800m?  If I remember correctly, Civil War rifles had sight graduations out to at least 500 yards.

pretty sure it was a 1861 repo

so yes it was rifled and yes it would be lethal out to 500yds +

granted wiki is not the best source

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1861

I know a guy that damaged his neighbors barn and truck  a couple miles away when he was having a pretty long plinking session with his 45-70
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top