Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2007 3:31:59 PM EDT
I'm a PA resident and in the .mil, so I've never had to deal with changing residency before. My GF is an MD resident, and will soon be moving to PA. Can someone help me out here on where to start the ball rolling with her residency change?
I haven't been searching all that long I guess, but I've been looking over the PA State homepage as well as any search results that pop up for this topic, and I'm not finding much of use so far.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
First find a place for her to live. Secure payment for said location. Then move.

Sarcasm aside, there isn't much needed to become a resident. You usually need two bills in your (or her) name as proof of residency along with a driver's license from another state to get a PA driver's license. Check the state DMV site for more info.

You can register your vehicles in PA fairly easily too, but keep in mind you only have a few days after registration to get them safety (and emissions) inspected.

You can apply for a CHL as an out of state resident or PA resident without any issues.

If she is moving into her own place have her notify her current utility companies that she'll be moving out on a certain date and give a forwarding address. YOu can also forward your address online through the USPS for a very small fee.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

She doesn't have to worry about some of that stuff. She has a place to live in PA lined up, and other than her MD car registration and driver's license, she doesn't really anything anything that I can think of connecting her to MD still, as in no utilities or current living arrangements in her name.
She actually can't get a CHL until she's a resident because PA only grants non-resident licenses to those who have a license from their home state, and CCW is a no-go for the average person in MD.
I was just reading up on what it will take for her to get a PA driver's license, and it's not that much. One form of ID such as a birth cert or valid passport and two proofs of residency, such as a utility bill, lease agreement, weapons permit, etc..

So what officially makes her a resident to the state?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else have any info or tips?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top