BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have been hanging around on some medical boards lately, and I have noticed that some (a lot?)  women use an OB/GYN as a PCP.

Why is that?

And why the heck didn't her doctor order x-rays a long time ago?

Not busting on you, I am just trying to understand the whole doctor thing. I've had arthroscopic knee surgery, and I understand your concerns. I don't understand the doctor's actions.

Honestly, the OB/GYN probably treats very few knee injuries... it's simply not something he/she does.  He/she probably hasn't done an ortho-focused examination of a knee since residency, and may not even remember the provocative maneuvers/tests for laxity in the various ligaments.

He's likely to do a basic knee exam, and if he suspects anything fishy, refer her to an orthopod.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Because she has an appointment available in a week or so, this is iffy.

However, I'm going to say go to the ER. There she'll at least get a knee immobilizer and better pain meds to keep her comfortable.

Also, and maybe more importantly, is that often times, referrals from the ER are required to be given an appointment within a couple/few days in the office that that ER refers to. The orthopedic group we refer to is required to give our patients an appointment within two business days of the patient calling after discharge.

Plus, of course, because of the persistent pain, she could have something more serious than a sprained knee that might require surgery to prevent the bone from dying, or from injuring other important parts of the knee.

Knees are beautiful and incredibly fine tuned joints, and as you said, you DON'T want to fux with them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Every time I went to an ER I was really, really hurt. (broken knee, broken ribs, broken heel, broken leg and so on) I did go to an UC one time for a rib fracture.

Take her to the ER. You never know unless you go.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I still think she should go to the ER.

You should go the the Emergency Room if it's an EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A twisted ankle/knee isn't an emergency!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top