Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That'll buff right out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that an R-44?

"I apologize."  

"No shit, Sherlock.
I'm just glad we didn't get more than 10 feet off the ground before I realized what a douchebag you are."
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The pilot positioned his helo too close to the hangar for takeoff.  He drifted right and his blades struck the hangar.

Pretty sure the cameraman was just inside the hangar for the first half of the video until he started backpedaling away.  Shows how close the helo was to the hangar.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
R44 - Pilot error.

So much for departure from the pad!

$300K loss
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
"NTSB Report - Probable Cause

The helicopter was substantially damaged when the main rotor contacted an open hangar door during takeoff and the helicopter subsequently impacted the ground. The pilot stated that the helicopter was parked on the ramp approximately 35 feet from the hangar. The bi-fold hangar door was open and extended about 10 feet out over the ramp. He stated that after takeoff, as the aircraft began to move away from the hangar, the passenger in the left front seat "accidentally and inadvertently hit or bumped the counterweight portion of the cyclic." The helicopter drifted toward the open hangar door and before he could correct the drift the main rotor clipped the bottom edge of the door. He recalled: "I quickly maneuvered away from the hangar building and began to level the aircraft." The helicopter descended to the ramp. The subsequent hard landing caused the skids to collapse and the main rotor to sever the tail boom. A ground witness to the accident submitted a video recording of the accident flight. Review of the recording revealed that after the helicopter lifted-off, it paused in a hover for a few seconds and then began to climb out, subsequently contacting the door. No drift toward the hangar building was observed prior to rotor blade contact with the door.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's inadequate preflight planning due to his selection of an unsuitable takeoff area and his failure to maintain clearance from the open hangar door. A contributing factor was the open hangar door."
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The helicopter was substantially damaged when the main rotor contacted an open hangar door during takeoff and the helicopter subsequently impacted the ground. The pilot stated that the helicopter was parked on the ramp approximately 35 feet from the hangar. The bi-fold hangar door was open and extended about 10 feet out over the ramp. He stated that after takeoff, as the aircraft began to move away from the hangar, the passenger in the left front seat "accidentally and inadvertently hit or bumped the counterweight portion of the cyclic." The helicopter drifted toward the open hangar door and before he could correct the drift the main rotor clipped the bottom edge of the door. He recalled: "I quickly maneuvered away from the hangar building and began to level the aircraft." The helicopter descended to the ramp. The subsequent hard landing caused the skids to collapse and the main rotor to sever the tail boom. A ground witness to the accident submitted a video recording of the accident flight. Review of the recording revealed that after the helicopter lifted-off, it paused in a hover for a few seconds and then began to climb out, subsequently contacting the door. No drift toward the hangar building was observed prior to rotor blade contact with the door.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's inadequate preflight planning due to his selection of an unsuitable takeoff area and his failure to maintain clearance from the open hangar door. A contributing factor was the open hangar door."

He tried to blame it on the passenger.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
lol, thats funny

He hit the stick and I tried everything I could to correct it.

Smile for the camera bitch!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The guy filming is one lucky man.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Robinsons usually fall out of the sky without any help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He tried to blame it on the passenger.  

No shit.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Robinsons usually fall out of the sky without any help.

One nearly fell on my sister while she rode her horse in Ann Arbor, MI.

Two firefighters were up in an R-22 and the combination of a 200' hover and an engine failure left them no real options.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy crap!   That could have ended alot worse.  Pucker factor = 8.9
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
blades hit the hanger to the right of the helicopter

I was wondering what the hell happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top