Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 5:10:17 PM EDT
Are they using crappier discs or something? These fricking things scratch up so easily it's ridiculous. I just got Spider-Man 3 about a week and a half ago and the thing is unplayable. Granted I have kids and one of them probably took it out of the player, but it's not like they're taking them in the sandbox with them or hammering them with a sledge.

Not that I miss those big ol' VHS tapes, but they were a hell of a lot more reliable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They're very fragile, it's true.

The thing that incenses me, however, is when I buy a DVD in Wal-Mart or off Amazon.com and I put it in the DVD player I have to sit through almost 5 minutes of "PIRATING DVDs IS ILLEGAL AND BAD" bullshit and cannot skip over it.

On illegal DVDs that I've watched, I never had to watch those shitty "DONT STEAL" things that I cant skip over but the quality of the movie was the same and even had the same extra features.

It's like movie studios are trying to deliberately alienate customers like back when Metallica and other musicians alienated their fanbase with all the "DONT STEAL MY MUSICZ" bullshit.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I think after HD-DVD and Blue ray we are going to move to a flash based distribution method which will make them small and less susceptible to damage. It would happen now if flash prices were cheaper. I expect in 2008 we are going to have ALOT of technology price reductions opening up alot of new possibilities.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's like movie studios are trying to deliberately alienate customers like back when Metallica and other musicians alienated their fanbase with all the "DONT STEAL MY MUSICZ" bullshit.

They are beginning to see the light I think. Maybe in 2008 they will give in and stop being assholes.

They are starting to sell music without DRM that is cross platform playable. So far its working out for them. Hopefully they will see the light.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think after HD-DVD and Blue ray we are going to move to a flash based distribution method which will make them small and less susceptible to damage. It would happen now if flash prices were cheaper. I expect in 2008 we are going to have ALOT of technology price reductions opening up alot of new possibilities.

-Foxxz

That would be awesome if they put movies on something like a Flash/thumb drive. Is that what you mean?

I doubt that would happen any time soon with them really just gaining momentum in the HD/Blue-Ray discs. Offering an entirely new format that would require us to buy yet another player would be a huge turn-off. I have no intention of buying HD/Blue-Ray unless they just completely phase out regular DVD's... which I doubt will happen any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not getting BluRay or the other format or anything else until DVDs die out either.

I dont like "transition" technology.  I'll wait until I'm forced to upgrade like I did from VHS to DVD in 2001.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The thing that incenses me, however, is when I buy a DVD in Wal-Mart or off Amazon.com and I put it in the DVD player I have to sit through almost 5 minutes of "PIRATING DVDs IS ILLEGAL AND BAD" bullshit and cannot skip over it.

This helps to avoid some of them, depends how they place the FBI and the stealing DVD crapola:

- goto menu
- scene selction
- pick scene 1

"Play Movie" on a lot of my DVD's plays the FBI and stealing warnings before the movie which you usually can't fast forward out of.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]
just copy them to a DVD backup. Completely legal if you own the original. If you need the names of the software for copying them just PM me and I'll try to put you on the right track. All the software you need is available for free off the internet, The quality of the copies is great depending on the compression ratio you choose while making a movie fit on a single 4.7 gig DVD disc. (thats if you dont have a larger capacity DVD burner)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Upconversion DVD players do not seem to like compressed backups. If you decide to backup your DVDs keep that in mind. Dual layer DVDs can be bought over the net for about $1.25/ea these days and that is how I go for anything that will not fit on a 4.7gig DVD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

That would be awesome if they put movies on something like a Flash/thumb drive. Is that what you mean?

Affirmative. It might as well be a USB thumb drive. They are portable and compadible with must things already out there. How hard would it be to add a usb port to DVD players for this "new" format. USB drives are way faster then need to be for this application.

And if you are worried about erasing them it is simple enough to disable writing to the flash chip by simply not connecting a single pin on the chip or making the controller chip in the thumb drive refuse write commands. Could even make a special program to "unlock" the drive if you really want to erase it.

Could open up NEW ways of buying movies at the store. Simply plug in your thumb drive to a kiosk in the store, put in money, select what movie you want and it is copied to the drive.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Thats what they said about CD's and DVD's. What now we have to have HD-DVD or Blue Ray so they won't get scratched. Please
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

On illegal DVDs that I've watched, I never had to watch those shitty "DONT STEAL" things that I cant skip over but the quality of the movie was the same and even had the same extra features.

Rip it and re-burn it without the annoying crap.

One of the best reasons to learn how to rip and edit DVDs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
what does this have to do with firearms?

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

advntrjnky

hehehe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

advntrjnky

Optical disks make great targets!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

advntrjnky

Optical disks make great targets!

-Foxxz

there you have it......topic saved and brought back onto the firearm topic. I plan on decorating my new (I hope the wife loves me enough) stg556 with dvd disc's!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
when Wallyworld has a $29.95 combo DVD-DVD HD- Blu-Ray and CD player till then I am stickin with DVD.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rip it and re-burn it without the annoying crap.

One of the best reasons to learn how to rip and edit DVDs.

+1

either that or do what I do and screw the burning part and have a media server that has all my DVD's on it and an HTPC to serve up movies with a few mouse clicks. With hard drive densities continuing to skyrocket, you can fit A LOT of movies on these hard drives.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Be sure NOT to skip the "anti-piracy warning" at the beginning of Fight Club
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
just copy them to a DVD backup. Completely technically not legal if you own the original. If you need the names of the software for copying them just PM me and I'll try to put you on the right track. All the software you need is available for free off the internet, The quality of the copies is great depending on the compression ratio you choose while making a movie fit on a single 4.7 gig DVD disc. (thats if you dont have a larger capacity DVD burner)

Although the fair use ruling applies in one sense, the violation comes from defeating the encryption on the disc to make the backup copy.  I don't think anyone has been prosecuted for this though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 7 years worth of DVDs and none of them have scratches/won't play. Keep them in their cases dont use albums or sleeves or any of that crap.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Most scratched DVDs and cds can be "buffed out" using toothpaste and your finger.  The paste is a mild abrasive and will smooth over the scratches on the plastic housing, plus they are minty fresh afterwards.  It really does work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Most scratched DVDs and cds can be "buffed out" using toothpaste and your finger.  The paste is a mild abrasive and will smooth over the scratches on the plastic housing, plus they are minty fresh afterwards.  It really does work.

So the scratch isn't actually a scratch on the data, just the surface of the disc?

How "deep" on the disc is the data written?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the scratch isn't actually a scratch on the data, just the surface of the disc?

How "deep" on the disc is the data written?

With CDs, the data layer is actually a very, very thin metal layer right on top of the plastic, and under the label. I think with DVDs, the data layer's in the middle of two thinner plastic layers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top