Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2007 2:26:31 PM EDT
Having come down with my second cold in a month or so (which I am not happy about) I began taking some of these "Cold-EZE" Zinc drops yesterday, which have supposedly been proven to reduce the duration and severity of the cold.

Today I actually think they have made a difference. I still don't feel very good at all, but I feel better than I usually do when I have a cold. My throat hurts a bit and my nose is slightly runny, but nowhere near as bad as usual.

What has everyone else's experience been with Zinc and colds? Am I just riding the wave of the placebo effect?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all in your head.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it works. I work on servers, desktops and point of sale. If someone has a cold I'm exposed. I have not had a cold in 2 1/2 years. Or at least not enough of one to make me uncomfortable enough to take a cold medicine. I aslo take Airborne along withj a zinc supplament.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it works. Prevention though is the best medicine. Wash your hands often. Use hand sanitizer often. Do not touch your eyes or nose. It's amazing how often we do this without realizing it. Spray common area items often with Lysol, etc.

Let someone use your pen. Hand sanitizer. Touch a door knob, hand sanitizer. Fill the cruiser with fuel, hand sanitizer. etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how, but it works.  

Really helped a bunch on base when there were nasty waves of the flu spreading.

Also have a friend who is has a doctorate in...something complicated, it slips my mind.  She did viral disease research for 15+ years.  She recommended zinc for colds.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the rain on the parade:

Controlled studies have shown no benefit.  The same holds for vitamin C (Linus Pauling notwithstanding).

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
my fiance's family are a bunch of zinc lovers. I personally have never seen a benefit to it but her dad swears by the stuff. I think its in their heads
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Controlled studies have shown no benefit.  The same holds for vitamin C (Linus Pauling notwithstanding).

YMMV

Does that work like the studies on what causes heart attack and srokes? You know the ones be proven wrong one by one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Take colloidal silver if you want health and longevity!

Oh ya, and smurf-skin.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]

I just tried Cold-Eze for the first time this past week.   I have a Boot Camp style IT training class starting tonight.  Earlier in the week I started to have cold symptoms.  I was in a panic because I can't afford to be sick for 6 days of 12hr/day training sessions and then a CISSP certification test on the 7th day.  So far so good.  After taking the CE for a couple of days it seemed to reduce my symptoms.  Whether it's in my head or not it seemed to work so I'll continue to use them.  I don't get sick very often but when i do it's bad.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think it works. Prevention though is the best medicine. Wash your hands often. Use hand sanitizer often. Do not touch your eyes or nose. It's amazing how often we do this without realizing it. Spray common area items often with Lysol, etc.

Let someone use your pen. Hand sanitizer. Touch a door knob, hand sanitizer. Fill the cruiser with fuel, hand sanitizer. etc.

I usually am very good about watching when I rub my eyes, etc. However, I also have a habit of chewing on random objects (pens, caps to sodas I have bought). Usually right after I get over a cold I swear I will never do stupid stuff like do that again, and I am good about it for a few weeks, until I get a cold again
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Does that work like the studies on what causes heart attack and srokes? You know the ones be proven wrong one by one.

Perhaps if you could construct a rational sentence, your argument would have a bit more credibility.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Exercise, diet, and wash your hands.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The key is supposed to be to start them immediately when you begin to feel bad.  I do it and then it seems like I never get the cold.  Dunno if they knocked it out or if I wasn't really getting sick--but by doing it I haven't had a cold since that stuff was first advertised on the Rush Limbaugh show, probably ten years ago.  

I started them yesterday when my throat began to hurt. Today I don't feel too bad, just a minor sore throat and a slightly runny nose. Hopefully tomorrow will be the turning point when I begin to feel better, instead of another turn downhill
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Perhaps if you could construct a rational sentence, your argument would have a bit more credibility.

Story

I would say something, but I'll shut up since your so sensative.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Huh?  

Quoted:
[.

Story

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I trust them - but also megadose vitamin c at the same time.  I also buy the wal-mart cheapo brand at times, same stuff, just doesn't have the same flavors or taste.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Story

It requires some degree of understanding of how medicine and science work.  The body of knowledge is not a static system.  The only way to reasonably and responsibly treat people or to advance science is through the scientific method (you can google it).

Can you imagine not only the chaos, but also the inefficiency of trying to treat every ailment/condition/disease/injury under the sun based on what Uncle Cooter said worked for him a couple of years back?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#19]
A little meth twice daily as soon as I feel a cold coming on works for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried some of those zinc drops while in the middle of Iowa last winter.  I had a bad cold and was driving 1200 miles.

I picked some up at a walmart in the middle of the night.  I took one as I was getting back on the highway.  I made it a mile before puking my guts out from the heinous metallic taste.

I'd rather lick Rosie O Donnel's asshole.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A little meth twice daily as soon as I feel a cold coming on works for me.

I'm trying to avoid Track Marks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Cold-eeze DOES help--- but here's the thing---- you HAVE to start it right away---as soon as you get start to feel a little sick.  And keep taking them like it says--3-4 a day I think.  If you wait until you're full-blown sick, I don't think it helps all that much.  I often work with a bunch of sickos, and I've had "colds" that lasted like 4 days with very mild symptoms thanks to loading up on cold-eeze right away.  

You still go through the stages, but they are more mild, and MUCH faster (at least in my experience).  In 4-5 days I'm done with what takes other people a week and a half to get over.

So NO, it is not a "cure", but it does help a cold if you jump on it right away....as soon as you feel a sore throat or start to feel run down.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Cold-eeze DOES help--- but here's the thing---- you HAVE to start it right away---as soon as you get start to feel a little sick.  If you wait until you're full-blown sick, I don't think it helps all that much.  I sometimes work with a bunch of sickos, and I've had "colds" that lasted like 4 days with very mild symptoms thanks to loading up on cold-eeze right away.  

You still go through the stages, but they are more mild, and MUCH faster.  In 4-5 days I'm done with what takes other people a week and a half to get over.

So NO, it is not a "cure", but it does help a cold if you jump on it right away....as soon as you feel a sore throat or start to feel run down.

Alrighty, I think I may be in good shape then. I started it as soon as my throat started hurting, maybe a day after at the most. I wonder why it is that the Zinc is supposed to work....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Alrighty, I think I may be in good shape then. I started it as soon as my throat started hurting, maybe a day after at the most. I wonder why it is that the Zinc is supposed to work....

Keep taking them like it says and see what ya think.  Of course, if it's the flu or something, you're still screwed, but if it's a cold I bet it helps.

The theory is that the zinc somehow prevents or slows down the replication of the cold virus in your mouth, nose, etc.  I think it is sorta hostile to the cold virus replicating, it DOES kill your taste buds (temporarily), so maybe it somehow slows down the virus??

ZiCam works under the same theory, although somebody recently sued them because they claimed it caused permanent loss of smell....Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I've never had any probs with cold-eeze (but of course you DON'T spray that into your nose).

I dunno... i'm a believer (your results may vary).  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep taking them like it says and see what ya think.  Of course, if it's the flu or something, you're still screwed, but if it's a cold I bet it helps.

The theory is that the zinc somehow prevents or slows down the replication of the cold virus in your mouth, nose, etc.  I think it is sorta hostile to the cold virus replicating, it DOES kill your taste buds (temporarily), so maybe it somehow slows down the virus??

I'm fast becoming a believer myself. I have been taking them every 2 hours since yesterday. I think the big test will be tomorrow. If I wake up and feel like crap all day, I'll know today was just a stepping stone to feeling worse. If I feel the same or better tomorrow then I will become even more of a believer!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm fast becoming a believer myself. I have been taking them every 2 hours since yesterday. I think the big test will be tomorrow. If I wake up and feel like crap all day, I'll know today was just a stepping stone to feeling worse. If I feel the same or better tomorrow then I will become even more of a believer!

My brother was a long time, and early supporter of using Zinc (gluconate) for the above mentioned reasons...and I had thought it to be bullshit too.....

But, being in a desperate situation, where I couldn't afford to be sick "Right Now"...I gave it a shot.....sort of a last ditch effort to prevent/lesson an upcoming cold.

I took 1 zinc (gluconate) tablet every 4 hours....You will also get quite thirsty, so keep yourself hydrated.

I have since used Zicam (sp?) and have found that (While expensive) it also works very well for me....But You really must start using it at the very first symptoms of a cold.

Tall Shadow

ETA: 2nd page "I zinced my cold's ass" type Ownage!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Today I feel about the same. The cold has moved from my throat to my nose, so it seems to be progressing along at a brisk pace. All that is left for my typical cold is for it to move to my chest in the form of phlegm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Zinc not working???!!!

Inconceivable!!

Sorry you're not better.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zinc not working???!!!

Inconceivable!!

Sorry you're not better.  

"I feel the same" in my case would mean it IS working.  I go buy the stuff the moment I start to feel bad, so if I get no worse (which has been the case every time I've used it), then it DID work.  Obviously this is subjective and non-scientific, so I can't declare it a miracle, but as I said above, I haven't had a single cold go through the normal progression since this stuff hit the market.  YMMV  

The only difference today is my nose is running a bit more, not more throat pain though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#31]
And...maybe I spoke too soon. In the last couple of hours I have gone right down the shitter it feels like. Nose running like crazy and I feel tired as hell. Maybe it was because I went to the gym to work out?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Gargle and snort warm salt water up your nose twice a day.  Drink a gal of clean water a day.  10K Mg of vitamin c.  Eat lots of protein and fruits/veg.  Wash your hands often and especially before you eat, or touch a mucus membrane.   I battled antibiotic resistant strep for 16 months, with sinus infections almost monthly.  I know a little bit about fighting colds and sinus infections.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I just pop a Silver Bear in my mouth and suck on the zinc coating. 223 for a light cold, 308 for a bad one.
I've tried Zinc and it didn't work worth a darn.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
And...maybe I spoke too soon. In the last couple of hours I have gone right down the shitter it feels like. Nose running like crazy and I feel tired as hell. Maybe it was because I went to the gym to work out?

1)  Thanks for contaminating everybody at the gym..
2)  Working out will just prolong it...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1)  Thanks for contaminating everybody at the gym..
2)  Working out will just prolong it...

1. I used the bleach spray on everything I touched
2. Why would working out make it worse?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Would you work out if you had the flu?  Even though the cold is the lesser virus, it's still a virus and your body has to use energy/resources to fight it.  When you work out or run a marathon, you're just taking away resources for your immune system to fight off the virus and stressing the body further.  It's just gonna wear you out and help give the virus the upperhand.  

I think the more you stress the body, the worse off you are with colds.  Not getting enough sleep is a stressor, not eating right is a stressor, and working out (or working out too much) can be a stressor.

YMMV........
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Would you work out if you had the flu?  Even though the cold is the lesser virus, it's still a virus and your body has to use energy/resources to fight it.  When you work out or run a marathon, you're just taking away resources for your immune system to fight off the virus and stressing the body further.  It's just gonna wear you out and help give the virus the upperhand.  

I think the more you stress the body, the worse off you are with colds.  Not getting enough sleep is a stressor, not eating right is a stressor, and working out (or working out too much) can be a stressor.

YMMV........

Yep.  I've had a couple times when I start to feel like I have a cold, get that run-down feeling.  Going to bed immediately seems to work better than anything.  Or when I thought my condition had improved, I went to the gym or played some basketball and before I knew it I was right back at square one.

You gotta get some rest.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#38]
You know what works every bit as well as zinc?

If you believe in Zinc-y Pan, then tinkerbell will make your cold go away.

Ready?

Here we go!

Twinkle twinkle twinkle!

It's amazing how seriously people take these cheezy marketing campaigns.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Today I felt a hell of a lot better. I feel like I'm on the mend.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Zinc gives me weird dreams.  ANd I really don't think it worked too well.  You might have to take it very early for it to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top