Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 8:28:46 AM EDT
Time for Air Force BMT. My ship date was "strategically" placed so I could miss Christmas! I'll be going in as an Airborne Linguist (1A8X1) which of course has a year of training. Any tips?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't sing the real version of the up-in-the-air-junior-birdman song:

Off we go
Into the wild blue yonder
Lost again
Sunuvabitch!

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I was AMMO from 1993 to 1997, good choice on the Air Force!

- Clint
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Off we go
Lost again
Sunuvabitch!

I'll make sure to sing that as soon as I get off of the bus.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck!  You must hate Christmas even more than me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Off we go
Lost again
Sunuvabitch!

I'll make sure to sing that as soon as I get off of the bus.

No you won't.....

- Clint
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good luck!  You must hate Christmas even more than me.

I like Christmas actually. I just drew the short straw on dates. My original date was Sept. 11th, but then I took the DLAB test and changed my job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Enjoy the beaches in Monterey!! What language did you get?

<---1N571 former 2W0
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Time for Air Force BMT. My ship date was "strategically" placed so I could miss Christmas! I'll be going in as an Airborne Linguist (1A8X1) which of course has a year of training. Any tips?

So in order to get that job did you have to be a Cunning Linguist or just a willing student?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#9]
If you play a musical instrument or want to be able to leave the base, if they ask when they pull you off the bus, tell them you played some random instrument for 5 years and they'll give you some cymbals or something to play in the drum and bugle corps.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you play a musical instrument or want to be able to leave the base, if they ask when they pull you off the bus, tell them you played some random instrument for 5 years and they'll give you some cymbals or something to play in the drum and bugle corps.  

That's exactly what I needed...lol. I was asking my recruiter if I could get away with it or not. English was my best subject, so I got lucky with linguist. Supposedly I got German as my language even though I hear it's very rare to get unless you're a foreign officer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I needed...lol. I was asking my recruiter if I could get away with it or not.

They don't relax the standards and you have to carve some time out of the schedule for the flight to practice, but you get to leave the base for some performances in the community and you get your blues early.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#12]
What the hell is an "airborne linguist"?.

Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Have fun!  I was in BMT for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.  I got the trifecta of missed holidays to start me off right.    Don't worry, holidays are about to be a thing of the past for you anyway.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck. I'm coming up on my 19 year mark on the 12th.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks for your service.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob1a8x1.htm

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks for your service.

A linguist on flight status
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Good luck!  Enjoy your blue M-16.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I see a career with the NSA in your future after your time in the Air Force.

Good luck and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I see a career with the NSA in your future after your time in the Air Force.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

That's exactly what I want. My friend just finished his training and he's working with the NSA at Ft. Meade.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I needed...lol. I was asking my recruiter if I could get away with it or not.

They don't relax the standards and you have to carve some time out of the schedule for the flight to practice, but you get to leave the base for some performances in the community and you get your blues early.

What instrument did you say you played and what did you end up playing?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
My kid just graduated DLI.  School is long.  After you complete Basic, remember how motivated you will be and keep reminding yourself while in language school for the 60+ weeks.  What language?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My kid just graduated DLI.  School is long.  After you complete Basic, remember how motivated you will be and keep reminding yourself while in language school for the 60+ weeks.  What language?

German, luckily enough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck!  AF seems way too far off in the future for me.  I wish I could skip ahead to a time when I'm finally back in shape and in uniform.  Right now I just hate school and wish I had the time to study Farsi more.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

German, luckily enough.

Oh.  Your school won't be as long then.  Good luck and Welcome!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to aviation. I am a flight engineer on C-130's.... Has the recruiter told you about the Enlisted Aircrew Undergraduate Course? If not I can enlighten you although it is much easier than when I went through it... But I think you definately will here the words"LOOK AROUND AT YOUR SCUMBAG CLASSMATES, AT LEAST 35% OF YOU WILL NOT BE HERE 3/12 WEEKS FROM NOW" other than that enjoy the course, all the tests are multiple choice now and fill in the blank...... anyway you will be going to some cool places.................
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi.

I went to BMT on 15 Nov several years ago, enabling me to miss thanksgiving and christmas in one go.

Oddly enough, I also went for linguist.  Spent 16 months at DLI.  A very close buddy is currently an active Airborne linguist freezing his ass off waiting for air time @ Offut.

Feel free to e-mail if you have particular questions.

Oh - and you didn't get german.  Actually, you don't know what language you have yet; that determination will be released to you late week 5 / early week 6.  Sgt. LoPresti [if she's still there] will tell you a great deal about DLI.  All of the information she gives out is incorrect.  Don't worry.

DLI, when you get there, will be much more laid back than basic.  
Try to participate in CRT with MSgt. Bauman & co. when you get to DLI.  Trust me, you'll know it when you see it.

Oh - and BMT isn't hard.  Don't panic.  It really is a head game, just like everyone else has told you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What instrument did you say you played and what did you end up playing?

I played the trombone, but they don't have those, so they gave me a Baritone.  After stating I had never played a baritone, I was told in no uncertain terms that I was to learn.  USAF basic training wasn't too bad, just a bunch of mind games for the most part.  I've heard the restructured the whole basic training concept to more closely mirror an AEF deployment, but I could be wrong.  After your language school, you should have a lot of fun in SERE school.  

And if there is one thing I told all my airmen, FINISH YOUR DAMNED CCAF DEGREE WHILE YOU ARE IN!  If you don't get your associates degree before you leave, you don't get it.  Oh, and finish your damed CDC's on time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top