Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 10:55:56 AM EDT
I'm taking my Technician test tomorrow, and am looking for suggestions on what type of first radio to get. I live in a townhouse, so the outside antenna is out of the question. I had first thought of a hand held 2 meter, but I'm not sure of the range. I originally got the idea to get one when someone here mentioned it for emergency communications. I posted on the only HAM forum I could find, but they seem to post once a week if you're lucky. TIA
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.qrz.com[/url]

[url]www.eham.net[/url]

Try these two sites, both will have links to other HAM forums...

As for my opinion, I would think that for best results, youwould get a handheld - for when walking around - and a "mobile" rig, for in the car and at home.  now for my reasoning.

First the "mobile" - while bigger than a handheld, it also will have a bit more power output - if you get the "right" one.  The other positive is that it will run on 12 V which is much easier to come by if commercial power goes out (for whatever reason)

The handheld is for when you aren't in the car, and still need to communicate - with the number of repeaters with emergency power it is a possibility that you'll still have that ability.  If they aren't within reach, there are still a number of HT's that have around 5 watts output - ok in some areas.  If you're that far out of touch, you probably won't need the radio anyway...

When looking for an HT, my suggestion is to attempt to get one that will run on commonly available batteries - usually 'AA' type.  Rechargables are available on the net for cheap, along with rechargers, and if you need to have additional capability it's at a reasonable cost - for instance, I have an Icom - comes with a 'custom' battery... replacement cost from Icom about $100 for the 'highpower' version.  But for about $50 I purchased a battery holder (made to look like the original) and 6 rechargables to put in the holder... works great, and if I'm ever stuck, I can get to a hardware store and use standard 'AA' types.

Just my opinion...

Jeff
KS7H
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
That's great, just what I was looking for. Any suggestions on makes/models/have to haves/avoids/accessories?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I love my Icom ... but I did spend a bit more than I needed to...

I have an Alinco "Mobile" rig that I really enjoy - It has both 144 & 440 MHz, and I bought my wife the dual band HT from Radio Shack (It uses 3 'AA' type batteries)

As I mentioned I bought the battery holder for the Icom and the additional rechargable 'AA' batteries.

Previously, I had an Icom rig for the car - it was good, but was only 2 meters.

The only other thoughts I might have on the issue is whether you want to work the satellites, or any of the digital modes.  That will require a radio that can utilize SSB - a bit more money, but available in the "mobile" configuration.  Look for used ones, they are fairly reasonable in price - they may be old, but usually they are in fairly good shape.

If you want further info, feel free to email me (I think my email is in my profile... if not let me know and I'll email you)

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I found this from one of the links you provided, if others are interested as well.

[url]http://www.eham.net/forums/EmergencyCommunications/12[/url]

I'll probably take you up on the email offer. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top