Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 8:18:05 AM EDT
Thinking about moving to Oregon. Would appreciate any insight from those who know about living in Oregon and practicing their right to keep and bear (all types) of arms.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I live in WA and from some of the people I talk to in the local (to include OR) area, Oregon is:
Class 3 friendly
Shall issue CWP
Allows "automatic" opening knives.
Regards,
C6

(edit) They also have an annual Machine Gun shoot in Albany, I believe.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
CoverSix is correct.

I will add that the flavor of the Portland area is different than the rest of the state.

Them city-fied types tolerate but don't cotton to all of us.

Southern / Central / Eastern OR - different deal. Laid back. Lots of CHL, truck guns, no strange looks, no hassle over full auto, no atttitude - more of an integration to one's life than in metro areas. And in my experience far fewer "gun freaks" - ya know "armchair cammandos" the type that get cammoed up to go to a gun show or shoot at a crappy indoor range ("Place to Shoot" in Portland)but in reality they are just a bunch of dipshits.

LEOs are far less suspicious of guns and gun owners outside of the metro area. (And from what I have seen - better shots)

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind, the Portland lefty crowd has shown the ability to swing the vote for the rest of the state.  California rural people have experienced the same phenomina.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
They are cool on the knives as long as you carry them on your belt, not in the pocket.  Buddy got written up for double-concealment cause his knife was in his back pocket in a sheath.  He got the thing dropped, but like anywhere else, there are good people and morons.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
SavedSOG,

Yes, Orygun is pretty gun friendly compared to many states. We do have our share of anti whackos though and all firearms owners need to keep informed about what the wierdos are up to. Yes, ClassIII friendly from what I've heard although I can't afford one yet. Albany Rifle & Pistol Club has the full auto shoots, plus regularly designated times at the range for full auto use - many other activities also, both indoor & outdoor.

As others have mentioned, CHL are shall issue, many classes available from a variety of sources. What few LEO's I've met seem gun friendly, and there are some Linn Co. deputies that offer civilian firearms courses on weekends. I'm near Brownsville and agree that the temperament is different almost everywhere other than Portland - it's too bad we can't beam all the liberals down to LA where they would feel right at home.

NMSight
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all your replys. Sounds good.

Liberalism is a mental disease that must be spread in the air or something."Afraid of wind currents from CA".
Having experienced the mental illness of CA politics, seeing the results of the last election made me fear moving to that state( Oregon) and then having to leave because of a new "political Commie" climate.

I'll stay away from Portland. But the rest of the state sounds great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Southern Oregon (grants pass, medford)

8 yr old information, but I do visit yearly:

-  if you are under 30 and drive a nice car, you will get pulled over by every LEO you see.  First question is "do you have a job?"

- great county range in Grants Pass - $5 per day

- lot's of nice, old cars

- nice weather, except for the winter air inversions and choking on all the woodstove smoke

- poor job market, mostly federal money (WIC & SS)

- great place to end up, bad place to start out

- lot's of Kalifornicators coming up there, but the locals do resist

- blacks and catholics weren't too welcome

- it's $90 for running a stop sign, and only $70 for breaking your girlfriends:  door, stereo & arm

- winning the lottery, paying off your trailer and living for free is the dream

- the old farts won't vote for school taxes, so the local schools are in the state safety net for the poorest districts

- you can hang out at the mall and watch the hicks try to figure out how to ride "the moving stairs"

- lot's of nice back roads for driving fun

- lot's of outdoors stuff

- great white water rafting nearby

- the locals will make sure to constantly correct you until you get the proper pronunciation, ORY-GUN
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Shhhh Fight4,

We are trying to change our image!

'sides, we ain't enforcing them "Sun down Laws" no more anyhow.

(no joke - we had them on the books thru the 80's)
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I can add Eugene to the anti gun crowd.  They
even banned Christmas trees.  I live in Albany-
east central area, and it's o.k.  Portland &
Eugene is where you might have trouble.
John
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well,

I live in Portland. Seems pretty "gun" friendly to me. But then again, I moved here 8 years ago from San Jose.. Of course it's obvious, but I have to say; "it's GREAT to be here".

Having said that, Portland allows for "shall issue" CCW, I have mine and carry 90% of the time. There are a number of fabulous ranges around, Tri-County in Sherwood must be seen to be believed...

Yes, there are some liberal types in the city, but it doesn't get out of hand. If they know how many CCW's have been issued to their neighbors, they would shit.. ;-)

having said that, the party line is "ugh, Oregon, it's really rainy up here, you don't want to move up here..." ;-)

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am moving to Oregon in about a year, I go there all the time. Am planning around Bend area. The taxes are high in deshutes county, but I have'nt looked into it else where. Look down about ten post to mine, about the full auto shoot. I love it down there, that is central area, went to the portland gun show, it was very good, and big, auto knifes and guns, just about eveything, big show! Might see you there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top