Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:13:38 AM EDT
Yep, drugs makes you smarter.

Today's lesson in drug dealing: When shipping 30 pounds of pot across the country, double-check the address.

Police say a Sheboygan man set up a friend's address as the delivery point, only to see his plan go awry when the sender inverted two digits.

Now instead of sitting on $30,000 worth of marijuana, Spencer C. Gilbert, 56, of 813-A National Ave., is sitting in jail in lieu of a $10,000 cash bond, officials said. He faces up to 10 years in prison and a $50,000 fine on a felony charge of marijuana possession with intent to deliver.

District Attorney Joe DeCecco declined comment on whether others could face charges in the case, but he said the investigation is not yet concluded.

According to a criminal complaint:

The package, mailed from Hollywood, Calif., arrived in Sheboygan on Friday addressed to 1516 North Ave., an address that does not exist. UPS workers — per company policy — opened the package to look for an identifier or invoice with a correct address and instead found nine bricks and eight bags of marijuana.

Police immediately set up surveillance in the 1500 and 1600 blocks of North Avenue, and soon noticed suspicious activity around a home at 1615 North Ave. A woman twice walked into the driveway and peered down the street, and when a UPS truck drove through the area, a Lincoln Towncar that had been parked in front of the home began following it.

The UPS manager later told police the driver of the Towncar stopped the driver to inquire about the package. A message was also sent through the UPS Web site clarifying that the package should have been addressed to 1615 North Ave.

Monday, a state drug agent dressed as a UPS employee delivered the package to that address with members of the Sheboygan County Multi-Jurisdictional Enforcement Group monitoring the drop-off. A woman at the home said she didn't know the person the package was addressed to but allowed the agent to leave the package on the porch.

About 20 minutes later, a 44-year-old Sheboygan man picked up the package and drove it to his north-side home, where investigators confronted him. The man, who is not being named because he has not been charged, said the woman had called him when she was unable to reach Gilbert. He said he picked up the package hoping that when he delivered it to Gilbert, Gilbert would pay the $800 he owed him.

The man then agreed to wear a wire and deliver the marijuana to Gilbert. The first attempt at dropping off the package was called off by Gilbert when he spotted a squad car in the area, but Gilbert instructed the man to drop the package off at Gilbert's home.

The 44-year-old said Gilbert had been involved with mail deliveries of drugs in the past. Gilbert has two prior criminal convictions, for possession of cocaine and marijuana, according to online court records.

http://www.sheboygan-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/SHE0101/709200605/1062/SHEnews

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Wow. I don't know what I would do if I worked at UPS and opened a package that contained 15 bricks of marijuana. I mean, 14 bricks of MJ is a lot. Seeing 13 bricks all in one place would be kind of staggering. Plus, I'd imagine that 12 bricks of MJ have quite an odor. I think it would be damn near impossible to wrap 11 bricks of MJ so securely that it wouldn't smell. And how much does it cost to ship 10 bricks, anyway? Regardless, that's good work to secure these 9 bricks and 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 bags of pot.

Its funny how that works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the UPS guy yelled out all your pot are belong to me!?!?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow. I don't know what I would do if I worked at UPS and opened a package that contained 15 bricks of marijuana. I mean, 14 bricks of MJ is a lot. Seeing 13 bricks all in one place would be kind of staggering. Plus, I'd imagine that 12 bricks of MJ have quite an odor. I think it would be damn near impossible to wrap 11 bricks of MJ so securely that it wouldn't smell. And how much does it cost to ship 10 bricks, anyway? Regardless, that's good work to secure these 9 bricks and 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 bags of pot.

I'm dyin' here!!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want to know how the cops knew that 1516 North Ave really meant 1615.

Did they stake out every possible combination?     Actually, they probably did.

Dyslexia can be a bitch.  
No. According to the article, they just watch the 1500-1600 blocks. You don't have to be Ellery Queen to figure out that the car that takes off after the UPS truck might be your suspect.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
people really send drugs through the mail ?

i thought ups sniffed all packages w/ highly trained drug dogs

Just like at the airport too!

that just seems crazy to me

last time i mailed a package off, it was already a wrapped box along w other loose items, and ups nazi was grilling me trying to get it open, asking whats in there, blah blah

it just seems like such a high risk to send a large quantity of narcotics through the mail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thats good but what package are you talking about. Package What package
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]
"I like the UPS driver, he's a drug dealer and he don't even know it!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]
<Mitch Hedberg> I love the Fed Ex guy, 'cause he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it.  And he's always on time." <Mitch Hedberg>
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This has to be THE FUNNIEST thing I've read on ARFCOM!!!!!  

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did they stake out every possible combination?     Actually, they probably did.

Dyslexia can be a bitch.  

What are you hi?  Read the story yo

The UPS manager later told police the driver of the Towncar stopped the driver to inquire about the package. A message was also sent through the UPS Web site clarifying that the package should have been addressed to 1615 North Ave.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
question is....If you were the recipient,would you call the law??
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

CASS

The United States Postal Service maintains a database of every mailbox, po box, etc in the US.. all 145+ million of them.

They also have files on all address ranges of every street, highrise (strip malls/apartment building, etc) Eg: Elm St in zipcode 48353 has address range of 100 thru 500 and then skips to 1400 thru 1700, so any mail going to 666 elm st is known as wrong.

Well how do they know there is no 666 elm st in zip 48353? Because the usps has a whole army of spys called "Mail Men".  

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

lmao!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top