Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:31:03 PM EDT
Not looking to spend alot, but would like something fairly accurate.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my stainless Encore. Simple and easy to load and handle. Also, you can put any number of other barrels on it!

I also have a 25 year old Thompson Renegade that I assembled and finished from a kit. It shoots great.

I would recommend staying away from some of the cheaper units (basically anything under $275). The accuracy is kind of hit and miss in some of them. Thompson Omegas are kind of nice and less pricey. My hunting partner has one. He likes it, but drools over my Encore.

Like James77257 mentioned, the Knight rifles and Austin & Halleck are very nice.

If you like traditional, TheTracker has a great idea. Ain't nothing wrong with a Lyman!

Nice rifle! My hat's off to you!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Caliber?  Ignition?  

If you get something that can handle conicals (1:28" twist or faster), even a .45 cal is sufficient if it will take 100+ grains of powder.  

For example, a 200 grain Lee REAL with 120 grains of FFg will do 2000 FPS, plenty for deer at under 100 yards.  Never had one walk more than a few paces...

Now if you are restricted to traditional ignition (flintlock) and ball, only a .50 caliber would be recommended.

But if you can use modern rifle (shotgun primers etc.), nearly everything out there is more than adequate, providing you can put the bullet where it counts.  

Sights are where it it at for accuracy.  Even in my crappy .45 caliber, I was able to keep groups under 2" with the REAL at Mach 2.  Yeah, I used a bit more than 120 grains ;)...closer to 2300 FPS.  Has to go up to wheelweights as leading was a problem.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Was thinking about just the standard Thompson Encore 5886 50 cal 209x50 magnum, stainless with composite stock - purchased from Walmart

Whatcha think?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get a Whitworth. Anything capable of taking out a Union general at 1200 yards has GOT to be good.

I have a buddy who hunts with a Whitworth replica.  The hexagonal bullet is a bitch to load.

I was looking at a new smoke pole at Cabela's today.  I will probably go with a .45 cal flintlock.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Tracker, I have that muzzleloader in the bottom of your picture. I bought it for $25 from a dealer since I got tired of loading it up and setting it up in the displays at gunshows. Going to use Pyrodex powder and some Maxi-hunters in it and see how she does.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to take a whitetail with a very large calibur blackpowder pistol .69+

Anyone know of one ? Kit or finished. It needs to have some sort of sights.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Knight.

Austin & Halleck

Austin & Halleck is out of business.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey Tracker, I have that muzzleloader in the bottom of your picture. I bought it for $25 from a dealer since I got tired of loading it up and setting it up in the displays at gunshows. Going to use Pyrodex powder and some Maxi-hunters in it and see how she does.

I bought it for $16.00 from Walmart , and were selling it and one more like it. One had no ramrod and this one came with out a wedge . I called the factory and they sent one out for free. I shoot cronicals and round ball out of it.

It's light and short to carry in the field hunting , does have a bit more recoil because of the weight , accuracy is acceptable in it
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Was thinking about just the standard Thompson Encore 5886 50 cal 209x50 magnum, stainless with composite stock - purchased from Walmart

Whatcha think?

That would make a fine muzzleloader. I use a T/C Omega.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Great idea for a thread.  I'm looking as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Was thinking about just the standard Thompson Encore 5886 50 cal 209x50 magnum, stainless with composite stock - purchased from Walmart hatcha

That will certainly do well for you. You will like it. The trigger is a bit rough, but nothing that can't be fixed or tolerated. I wish they had a set trigger option.

Shockwave 250gr over 120gr Pyrodex works good in mine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thompson/Center Omega 50

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thompson Center Triumph is the correct answer for your price range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Knight DISC Extreme!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top