Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 10:17:36 AM EDT
The little wigger brat next door like to bang on the tank with
whatever he gets his hands on. Rocks, bricks, sticks etc.
As long as he does not smack the valve I won't be sent into orbit right?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember a story where that happened and it wasnt good. Archived by now I think
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I thought you meant having sex on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Next time he is near it, shoot the tank with a .308.

I would advise telling him not to do that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Rig up a nice M80 or something similar (no, you can't buy them, but they're simple to make)  to a model rocket launcher and hide it behind the tank.  When the fucker is out there being a retard, set that thing off! He probably wont fuck around with that anymore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If he hits it just right, you won't have to worry about him anymore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Throw a pickaxe over the fence & see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#7]
How big of a tank?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Darwin at Work

Do NOT Disturb
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.  You can probably sell the video to one of those TV shows.

"When idiots attack"
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If he hits it just right, you won't have to worry about him anymore.

Excellent.
This little shit lives part time with his grandmother so sometimes she tells him stop and other times she does not.
The sleeved and pierced parents yell at him but with no results.
I've got to get out of this nieghbor hood
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Nah, they are made of ASTM A516-70 steel and can survive anything that doesn't dent them...now the weldolets and valves could be damaged BUT these are usually under the bonnet and further protected.

About the only damage would be to the paint.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#13]
It might not combust/explode in the traditional sense, but if weakened/ruptured/pierced and it's under a lot of pressure, I don't think the results would be good. It could just shoot propane out in a strong jet (most likely the case).
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a thought, but i have seen the end result of some goober cutting a propane tank with a grinder before making sure it was cleaned out first.

Have you got one by chance?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
The tank is approx 25 yards from my back door.
I can honestly say if it blows up I would not care. Stupid hurts.
I'm just wondering if I am within range
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably not much to worry about.  But if you want it to stop him from banging around on the tank, give him a cordless drill, some carbide tipped bits, and a few road flares...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Is the tank a 330 or 500 gal. Usually have covers that be secured on with a padlock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Dangerous? No.

Annoying? Yes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the tank a 330 or 500 gal. Usually have covers that be secured on with a padlock.

Tank has a hinged cover with no padlock.
330 gal. tank.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I've wondered this as well. We have a 110? gallon tank at the back of the house for our faux fireplace and have always been worried about my redneck neighbor missing the squirrel with his .22 and sending my family into orbit. Do these things go big when they go?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've wondered this as well. We have a 110? gallon tank at the back of the house for our faux fireplace and have always been worried about my redneck neighbor missing the squirrel with his .22 and sending my family into orbit. Do these things go big when they go?
I would think that you could shoot at the thing all day long with a .22 and not end up with anything more than a lead-covered propane tank and sore fingers from loading 10/22 magazines.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tank has a hinged cover with no padlock.
330 gal. tank.

OK, The cover should also have a clasp to fit over a loop welded to the tank so that a padlock can be used to protect the valves and gauge, the lil wigger brat can damage these items so it is best to contact your gasman to help you out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#24]
We have a old "ball" tank (I think it's around a hundred gallons) that we use for a target gong.  You'd be amazed what rounds  that thing can resist.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would think that you could shoot at the thing all day long with a .22 and not end up with anything more than a lead-covered propane tank and sore fingers from loading 10/22 magazines.

It all depends on the material thickness...which of course is dependent on the diameter of the tank.  

If you search, you will find the ASME VIII Div 1 nameplate.  It should have the material thickness on it.  If it is over 1/4", it is doubtful a .22 LR will penetrate or even dent it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#26]
What is a wigger?

Blake
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#27]
The only time I've seen propane tanks blow is when they are on fire.  They can blow flames along time, but once the tank get's low....KABOOM
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What is a wigger?

Blake

Senator "KKK" Byrd can tell you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got a hammer in my heart, pounding out your name!!!

Quick, name the artist...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#30]
older tanks are essentially indestructable

newer tanks, however, at approximately .145" thickness are more susceptible to projectiles and whatnot

if the tanks are actually ever punctured or leak there is 0 danger unless there is a source of ignition nearby and even then propane is very touchy about when it will burn.  if the concentration of gas to air is too high or too low it still won't do shit

if by some miracle the tank is compromised and it lights you've still got lots of time to GTFO.  they have pressure relief valves and will essentially vent themselves off when they get hot.  if they're off by themselves there is little chance they will ever get hot enough to explode

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

newer tanks, however, at approximately .145" thickness are more susceptible to projectiles and whatnot

if the tanks are actually ever punctured or leak there is 0 danger unless there is a source of ignition nearby and even then propane is very touchy about when it will burn.  if the concentration of gas to air is too high or too low it still won't do shit

if by some miracle the tank is compromised and it lights you've still got lots of time to GTFO.  they have pressure relief valves and will essentially vent themselves off when they get hot.  if they're off by themselves there is little chance they will ever get hot enough to explode

www.cjcfpd.org/propane_training/IMAGE022.JPG

Our resident Hank Hill hath spoken.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The only time I've seen propane tanks blow is when they are on fire.  They can blow flames along time, but once the tank get's low....KABOOM

if the pressure relief valve works correctly then once the pressure becomes low enough the spring should set the seal again and prohibit flames from actually entering the tank and causing an explosion, but that is possible
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The bummer part is that if the windowlicker does manage to let the gas out, propane is heavier than air and will settle in low areas-basements, crawlspaces, ditches and the like. While the tank itself might not go, a large quantity of gas in your basement would be a bad thing when your water heater lights...

Fun experiment-set a 20 gallon tank in a low spot. Put lit flares at the far edges of the low spot. Crack the valve (or shoot the tank) and run like hell. When the gas levels hit the right mix, you'll be rewarded with a large WHUUUMP and fireball. If you're close enough, you'll feel the blast.

GT
Perform experiments at your own risk. Preferably in someone else's yard while drinking heavily.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#34]
and waste a perfectly good cylinder?!?!?!  never!

i always liked getting a water bottle, putting about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom, sealing it off and throwing in a bonfire, small scale fireball that never fails to get someones attention..........

liquid proane is also quite good for cooling off hot beer
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if the pressure relief valve works correctly then once the pressure becomes low enough the spring should set the seal again and prohibit flames from actually entering the tank and causing an explosion, but that is possible

There isn't enough oxygen in any propane container to support combustion.  

The pressure relief valves are sized to prevent an explosion in all but the most severe conditions.  If the vessel is full and the overpressure valve trips, the contents will boil, reducing the metal temperature from autorefrigeration of the contents.  But when the tank empties, there is less cooling and the metal temp can rise to over 800 F where it loses 70% of its strength...not the old school tanks made before 1999 (code revision in ASME VIII Div 1) with their 1.5 factor of safety against yield had a better chance of surviving.  But newer tanks will probably break at the longseam (with hemi heads) or along the head seam (2:1 elipticals).
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our resident Hank Hill hath spoken.

Classic!

...and I appreciate Hank's insight. I feel better about having this thing near the house now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#37]
You have a BB gun, right?

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i always liked getting a water bottle, putting about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom, sealing it off and throwing in a bonfire, small scale fireball that never fails to get someones attention..........

At a shoot I was at, there was a full tank that got wrapped with about 15 sticks of dynamite. Propane and dynamite are impressive!

15 sticks? That seems a bit excessive....  What, was that all they had?

EDITED
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
My friend shot a hole in a full propane tank with a 7mm 08.

Skunk hunting at night with a spotlight.

It didn't blow up.  Thank Jesus.  I don't recommend testing this for yourself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At a shoot I was at, there was a full tank that got wrapped with about 15 sticks of dynamite. Propane and dynamite are impressive!

15 sticks? That seems a bit excessive....  What, was that all they had?

EDITED

Nah-over the course of the shoot (3 days) they go through about 2500 sticks...
We also fly about 30 aircraft, and the shooters burn up around 2.5 million rounds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't worry you have insurance, he does not have insurance, and everything can be replaced minus one numbskull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top