Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2001 7:37:25 PM EDT
A new program called Basic Leaders Course (BLC, pronounce bolluck) is incoporating 2LTs from all branches for 9 weeks doing "infantry" training.  I just arrived here for regular IOBC (Infantry Officer Basic Course) but have talked to 2LTs and cadre members from the program.  Everybody hates it, and the standards are definitely not infantry standards.  About a week ago we went on a 4 mile regimental run (9:30 mile pace), and guess who was falling out?  Now there were some guys falling out, too, and we had some choice words for them as we passed, but what can you say to the female captain who is "policing up the fallouts?"  Infantry school will never be the same.

If you disagree, then shut and join the Infantry and find out for yourself if you can meet the standards.

[soapbox]

P.S.  I love women, just not next to me in combat.  And another thing.  I did Basic Training in 96 at Ft. Sill, all male.  It has since been integrated.  DAMN IT!  Is nothing sacred?
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Lt
The reason the Basic Leaders Course was added to the OBC experience of all incoming junior officers of your service was the failing of your commissioning programs to adequately train Lt is basic skills.  It was found that many non-infantrymen couldn’t perform to an acceptable level.  The army since it had a close working relationship with the Marine Corps at both Fort Knox and Fort Sill, found that the 6 months of TBS given all Marine Officers, tended to instill a common ethos and more import ensure all Marine Officers could fulfill duties as a rifle platoon commander.   BLC is an attempt to fix many of the short comings of the army officer Corps, however you are attempting to do it on the cheap, they are attempting to get similar results in few weeks to we get in 6 months.  Put that on top of the shorting of other OBC in order to keep the army Lt training under 26 weeks, mean in the long run you will get officers who are not only, not well train in provisional rifle skills, but those who aren’t well trained in their MOS.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Lt.

Yes, there is a sacred place in the military that has held out as the last all male club - Subs!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Rifleman , I completely agree with you . Ft. Benning should have absolutely NO women at all !

I spent three of the hardest , most grueling and rewarding life changing months there .

I did it , and proud of it , I did it on my own without any special rules to help me pass.

" FOLLOW ME "
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rifleman , I completely agree with you . Ft. Benning should have absolutely NO women at all !

I spent three of the hardest , most grueling and rewarding life changing months there .

I did it , and proud of it , I did it on my own without any special rules to help me pass.

" FOLLOW ME "
View Quote

thats right man they have no place there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lt
The reason the Basic Leaders Course was added to the OBC experience of all incoming junior officers of your service was the failing of your commissioning programs to adequately train Lt is basic skills.  It was found that many non-infantrymen couldn’t perform to an acceptable level.  The army since it had a close working relationship with the Marine Corps at both Fort Knox and Fort Sill, found that the 6 months of TBS given all Marine Officers, tended to instill a common ethos and more import ensure all Marine Officers could fulfill duties as a rifle platoon commander.   BLC is an attempt to fix many of the short comings of the army officer Corps, however you are attempting to do it on the cheap, they are attempting to get similar results in few weeks to we get in 6 months.  Put that on top of the shorting of other OBC in order to keep the army Lt training under 26 weeks, mean in the long run you will get officers who are not only, not well train in provisional rifle skills, but those who aren’t well trained in their MOS.
View Quote

You bring up good points and if we have to have women in the combat zone (I didn't say Combat Arms) they should get some field combat type training.

That said, I agree with Rifleman, that they could do it somewhere besides "The Benning School for Boys".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top