Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 5:16:09 PM EDT
Alright, here is my situation.

1. Early 30s with 6 years of experience in my current profession (pharmaceutical industry, education in a physical science).
2. Making a good salary and I have been able to save approximately 4 years worth of salary (after tax).
3. My current career path is quite limited.  Without a PhD, I'll be stuck in the lab without much opportunity to advance (which is quite discouraging considering I'll be working for another 20-25 years).
4. I'm single and without children.

Right now I'm stuck with my current company for another year and few months or else I'd have to pay back a lot of $$$ I received in benefits.  If I want to make some major changes, I need to start the process now.

My current options:

A) Get a PhD, which is at the bottom of my list.  I'd have to go back to school for another 4-6 years and I'd never make back the salary I'd lose during those years.  My opportunity for advancement would be better, but job prospects are actually worse.
B) Suck it up and keep going.  Keep saving as much money as possible and retire in my mid-40s.  The money is good, but a man cannot live on $$$ alone.  I need a challenge and job I actually want to get up in the morning for.
C) Get an MBA.  A lot of my co-workers are doing this.  It would cost me $50K, since I'd need to get one at a top school.  The plus is that it would only take 20 months.  A lot of opportunities would open up.  However, it's a big investment for something I can't say I'd like more than what I do now.
D) Do a 180 and do something really out there.  I posted a topic a month ago about becoming a pilot.  That's just one of the many options I've considered.  I've got enough money saved that I could get the training I need without having to take out loans.  Also, I could afford to take a hit in pay for a few years because my retirement savings are ahead of schedule.

So my question is, what would you guys do in my situation?  I'm not looking for someone to tell me "do this profession".  I'm just looking for opinions on what factors I should be considering.

I feel that I'm quite fortunate to be in the financial situation I am, at a relatively young age with no one to look out for but me.  I'd hate to look back 5 years from now, possibly married with kids and say "Dam, I should have done XXXXXX".

RF
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Man Whore.

Hmmm.... does that come with health insurance?

RF
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Independent Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

B. You are light years ahead of most adults I know with just your education alone. But do what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man Whore.

Hmmm.... does that come with health insurance?

RF

No, but the life expectancy is so low that it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Suck it up, bank the $.

Retire early, but open (or buy) a business for yourself at "retirement" time. Something you love, but not something you have to kill yourself for the first 10 years to make a success of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
What is wrong with your current position? Is it pay? Is it your location? Is the work not exciting? If the pay and location is good for you and you are happy with your lifestyle why change. If you want to be a pilot ( I am) just fly for fun on your own. It would be way to much trouble, and basically gambling yor future to switch to aviation. If you need more excitement, join the Guard, and you could fly for them. If your 9-5 grind isn't appealing, there are lot's of things you can do to make it better. I guess I just don't see what isn't making you happy if the pay and lifestyle is good and the work is fairly easy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is wrong with your current position? Is it pay? Is it your location? Is the work not exciting? If the pay and location is good for you and you are happy with your lifestyle why change. If you want to be a pilot ( I am) just fly for fun on your own. It would be way to much trouble, and basically gambling yor future to switch to aviation. If you need more excitement, join the Guard, and you could fly for them. If your 9-5 grind isn't appealing, there are lot's of things you can do to make it better. I guess I just don't see what isn't making you happy if the pay and lifestyle is good and the work is fairly easy.

The pay is not a problem, the job is.  It has no upward mobility.  From what I've seen around me, I'd be lucky to get two more promotions in the next 25 years of my career.  My personality is such that I need something to strive for.  Money alone won't cut it.

Care to comment on flying for the national guard?  What kind of age restrictions are there?  Can I guarentee a pilot position?

RF
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
There are more than a few pilots who would love to change positions with you, if that were possible.   Grass is always greener I guess.  

My advice.  Figure out the one thing that you have to do in life.  Then do it.

Not many people have the opportunity that you have right now.  Do it fast, because your window of opportunity will be fleeting.

btw- I don't fly for the Guard, but those positions are highly coveted.  You need to have some serious inside connections to score one.  The Pilot career in general is more competitive than you can imagine.    If you have a bunch of money and reasonably good health, you have some options open, but getting the .Mil to pay for it is not a reasonable hope, imho.  You can just imagine how many people are trying for that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the Navy, not a pilot in the guard. I'm sure with Guard is looking for people. I don't know what the exact process to get in but you'd have to take some sort of written test but the big kicker is the medical exam. Gotta have good eyesight. Flying is certainly a challenge. You never stop learning.
I recommend the guard because you could keep your well paying, hopefully somewhat secure day job, and get your excitement fix in the guard. If you tried to learn to fly on your own it would cost big $$$. Like a new Acura $$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top