Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 3:22:03 PM EDT
CableCARD - a little credit card sized device that slips into a slot in the back of the TV set - it replaces a separate cable box, only $1.50/mo. and 1 remote control - you get all the pay channels but presently cannot order pay-per-view since it's a one way tuner.

I have 3 sets now which have that technology, but it is evolving and the CATV providers hate it and have chased the manufacturers away from it - at least until the 2-way standard can be agreed upon and implemented.

Anyone in the business know where I can get a 32"-37" LCD w/CableCARD these days?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sharp LC-37D7U 37" Aquos is Cablecard ready.

I'm looking to spend $1000 or less - are we in the ballpark and do they still sell them?

THANK YOU

That Sharp is going to cost a bit more than I'd like to spend - it may be my only choice unless someone else knows of another make/model.

Gloftoe - do you know from experience if that set is any good?  I have 3 Pioneers Plasmas now - this would be my 1st LCD and I'm clueless...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've emailed my contact at TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) to see if he knows - CableCard and TVGOS go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
my flat panels have it too, but you can not receive true HD channels unfortunately, therefore you need the extra receiver
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
my flat panels have it too, but you can not receive true HD channels unfortunately, therefore you need the extra receiver

My Plasmas have integrated HD tuners so I do get true HD via CableCARD - but that is an excellent point to check if I find something that even has CableCARD.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Plasmas have integrated HD tuners so I do get true HD via CableCARD - but that is an excellent point to check if I find something that even has CableCARD.  Thanks.

really? damn i need to recheck that again. my cable provider - insight cable offers cablecards, but they said i won't receive HD channels on my Sony 1080p without the set-top receiver.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

really? damn i need to recheck that again. my cable provider - insight cable offers cablecards, but they said i won't receive HD channels on my Sony 1080p without the set-top receiver.

That would be a good reason to bump this discussion and veer off topic, because that sounds more like a limitation of their transmission equipment than a limitation of CableCARD.

The cable companies love to lease you the setop box, just like the phone company used to lease you phones.  The phone that cost the phone company $85 brought in 35 times that cost over the years.  Recurring revenue is a wonderful thing if you are on the right end of it.

ETA: A CableCARD costs me $1.50 per month - lots less than a setop box - and I'd bet that same card cost the CATV company about $8.50.  I still get HBO, Showtime, and all the other channels that a setop box offers - I just can't pay-per-view as the technology is one-way.  Ordering a movie requires two-way communication, and the original CableCARDS are only one-way devices.
Top Top