Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 5:47:14 AM EDT
I've seen plenty war movies depicting elements of the U.S Army, Navy, and Marine Corps, but I have not seen a SINGLE war movie depicting the Air Force.

What is ARFCOM's recommendation for a good war movie about the USAF?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't recall ever seeing a movie depicting the efforts and support that the United States Air Force brings to a conflict.  

USAF '79-'83
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
paper cuts can be too brutal for the big screen...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Not war,but Stategic Air Command,and Bombers B-52 were good. Like to see Flight From Ashiya brought to DVD too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've seen plenty war movies depicting elements of the U.S Army, Navy, and Marine Corps, but I have not seen a SINGLE war movie depicting the Air Force.

Jet Pilot with John Wayne is about all I can remember.  Anything older will be USAAF.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

"Fighter pilots make movies.  Bomber pilots make history."

That's why.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
paper cuts can be too brutal for the big screen...

Everybody can't be a grenade slinging, tunnel rat sniper like you were in the war. Somebody has to keep the bolts turned and the equipment in the air to drop steel on the bad guys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Dude.

Stargate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's why.  

Not many movies to choose from, but I thought Memphis Belle was pretty decent.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Strategic Air Command, starring Jimmy Stewart (who, in fact, retired from the Air Force Reserve as a Brigadier General.)

Twelve O'clock High, starring Gregory Peck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Bat 21.

Vietnam.  On-the-ground evasion, search and rescue, close air support, forward air-control.  Based on a real incident.

Edited to add FAC
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Iron Eagle. hahahahaha.

(lame movies)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah, and Dr Strangelove.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why.  

Not many movies to choose from, but I thought Memphis Belle was pretty decent.

But, that's the problem.
It is still an Army (Army Air Forces) movie.
If the OP is looking for a true USAF movie, it will be difficult because Korea and Vietnam didn't see a lot of air combat/bomber movies.

How about 'BAT 21"?
Pretty good flick and, like almost every movie of the '80s, it has Gene Hackman in it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the movie FIRE FOX starring Clint Eastwood was about a former Vietnam F4 Phantom pilot lured out of retirement to steal a top secret Soviet fighter aircraft

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top