Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2007 6:32:39 PM EDT
How much does a piece of land out in the middle of nowhere go for?  Preferably in the mountains or at least within sight of them.  How much should I expect to spend.  I hear that Crystal Meth has wiped out almost an entire generation in Montana, is the place emptying out?  How will that affect land values?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How much does a piece of land out in the middle of nowhere go for?  Preferably in the mountains or at least within sight of them.  How much should I expect to spend.  I hear that Crystal Meth has wiped out almost an entire generation in Montana, is the place emptying out?  How will that affect land values?

I dunno about those places, but I know you can get acreage in Idaho, 17 acres wooded with a creek for 20k.  You should expect Montana and Wyoming to be even less.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno about those places, but I know you can get acreage in Idaho, 17 acres wooded with a creek for 20k.  You should expect Montana and Wyoming to be even less.  

-Ben

Really?!?!  What part of Idaho?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Really?!?!  What part of Idaho?

Orofino.

Edited for spelling.

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck spinning rims.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Fuck spinning rims.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck spinning rims.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Not Orofino, but close and still pretty cheap land here.

I'm still looking, when I found that deal I mentioned before it was 8 months ago.  There are still great ones, but it takes a lot of looking.

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of Montana acerage has gotten real expensive in the last few years as outsiders buy up ranches.

www.realtor.com Look up Kalispell or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't believe it when they say it will cost only a couple hundred dollars to bring electic power in.

I know some body who bought that line and the power company gave him a price of over $10,000.  He kept it for a while and then sold it.  Telling the new owner that it will cost only a couple hundred dollars to bring power in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't believe it when they say it will cost only a couple hundred dollars to bring electic power in.

I know some body who bought that line and the power company gave him a price of over $10,000.  He kept it for a while and then sold it.  Telling the new owner that it will cost only a couple hundred dollars to bring power in.

Yeah, it actually is often comparable (as far as cost goes) to go with your own power supply and stay off the grid.

-Ben
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stay the fuck out of my state.  No joke.  

Telling a fellow ARFCOMer that won't stop the legions of rich Californians who are responsible for screwing up your state from moving there.

Know who your enemy is, and all that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Land up here is getting pretty expensive. I'm in a small town in SW Montana and land around here is around $15,000 per acre and up, depending upon whether you are in irrigated ground or close to a river or stream. Two years ago it was half that or less.

Which town exactly?  

Twin Bridges
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the Epic of Gilgamesh and then the Odyssey for 7 hours today.  Don't do this to me man, I am freaking out here!!!!

-Ben

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VqFPNS8w

Quoted:

I wish I was the .gov so I could eminent domain your land and build a movie theater.

Movie theaters can be useful. The Gov only takes land away to put in useless shit or save an animal.

You fail as a government land grabber. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Oh yeah. Drink some water. Your body needs that shit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I know where 640 acres avaiable for $350K  (Section 9 with 2 wells, power  and septic and 640 acres @ $350,000 )

Look at East Fork Ranch @  Ranchmartinc.com

I am related to the owner

Would this be remote enough for you? Yes this hill is on the land..

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The people who are jacking up the land prices out there arrest them!
The people who are buying land up there to flip it to make a profit arrest them!

Any outsiders must LIVE in MT for a minimum for 5 years before they can buy land.No outside sales...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You got it all wrong, you tell them it sucks there. Thats what we do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Wyoming land is NOT cheaper.  Have you heard of the energy boom?  A shortage of housing is a crisis in nearly every part of the state.  Land and house prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

Two years ago the going rate to bring electicity in was $26,000 per mile.  Make sure it is close!  A friend just brought power in to his land and it was $14,000.  And the only reason he even got land to buy was a coworker (a rancher) sold him some.  I am in NE Wyoming and there is almost nothing for sale around here.

And in Wyoming, you need to figure out where you are going to get water.  Drilling a well is expensive (most of the rigs are drilling for oil, not water) and there are waiting lists going out a year and a half to two years.  In the meantime, you will be hauling water.  

Think about it and make sure this is where you want to be.  It is not an easy life but it is very rewarding.  Wyoming is an open carry state and very gun friendly.  The people are great and if you love the great outdoors, there is no place better.  

Come for a visit first and check things out.  Plenty of jobs, lots with great pay.  Finding a place to live though could be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
When going West look for WATER

Land's not worth much without it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Land up here is getting pretty expensive. I'm in a small town in SW Montana and land around here is around $15,000 per acre and up, depending upon whether you are in irrigated ground or close to a river or stream. Two years ago it was half that or less.

are you f'in kidding

i can still get very rural land here(MO) for $700-1000 per acre
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Where?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a big diffrence...in our case, we'd be lieing if we said that!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#23]
BillofRights:
In missouri, at least 50+ miles south of I-44 and 50+ miles west of I-55 over to West Plains. I see land for sale in that price range all the time, typically b/w Rolla, Poplar Bluff and West Plains. I have family all over southern MO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Wyoming land is NOT cheaper.  Have you heard of the energy boom?  A shortage of housing is a crisis in nearly every part of the state.  Land and house prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

Two years ago the going rate to bring electicity in was $26,000 per mile.  Make sure it is close!  A friend just brought power in to his land and it was $14,000.  And the only reason he even got land to buy was a coworker (a rancher) sold him some.  I am in NE Wyoming and there is almost nothing for sale around here.

And in Wyoming, you need to figure out where you are going to get water.  Drilling a well is expensive (most of the rigs are drilling for oil, not water) and there are waiting lists going out a year and a half to two years.  In the meantime, you will be hauling water.  

Think about it andake sure this is where you want to be.  It is not an easy life but it is very rewarding.  Wyoming is an open carry state and very gun friendly.  The people are great and if you love the great outdoors, there is no place better.  

Come for a visit first and check things out.  Plenty of jobs, lots with great pay.  Finding a place to live though could be a problem.

+1 cheyenne isalmost as much as denver metro to buy/live the oil/gas boom (resurgence) has made rural land in wyo/co and other western states to costly to live.
yes there's speed (old timer talking) but how do you think those (some) roughnecks do 18+ per day  if you look hard and make friends with some locals yo umight find it somewhat cheap. HOWEVER th ewater and power issue will almost triple your investment.
i'd stay where you are and consider putting your money into water rights
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Land is getting pricey. I am a former Kalispell resident.
Beware of the Californication that has invaded.
If you got the bucks try west on Rt 2 past Olney near the Yak country.
Nothing but trees and grizzlies
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Theres quite a bit of land in Texas going for 200-300 an acre.  Can you guess where?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Your little statement is majorly stupid!

Don't worry the hordes of DU'ers will continue to roll in and running for office to make things more like home
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but your state is in my top 3 for places to retire in 6 years. I can't get out of NY fast enough!!!

roger that, 12 yrs for me. MO is ok but not good enough.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#29]
The problem is that 10-15 years from now, when some of us hope to retire, the low cost per acre places may well be very different from where they are now. Too soon to tell.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The problem is that 10-15 years from now, when some of us hope to retire, the low cost per acre places may well be very different from where they are now. Too soon to tell.

Most of the low-cost-per-acre places are also a bit too far out from civilization to retire to...

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where?

Not anywhere near any major source of employment.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where?

Not anywhere near any major source of employment.  

true, but i'm talking about a weekend retreat or retirement homestead. or if you own a business, that is portable, then location/employment would be a non-issue. when my business partner retires, i will be moving my busness to a more rural setting. for me personally, the more remote the better
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#33]
There's lots of wooded land in Michigan, and people are fleeing that state in droves.  You can probably score some land there pretty cheaply.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Thats all right, you old timers all retire now and pay to get electric and water there and when I retire in about 25-years I will watch for your kids to sell the place cheap because they don't want to live away from the big city

I would love to come and visit, but if I had a choice of places to live there are some really great areas in Utah that I could be quite happy as well.  Too bad I will never be ble to retire
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why not let ARFCOMmers buy MT land instead of the usual CA liberals?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
From what I read about some cheap parts of WY:

High plains are windy - really windy.
Rocky so drilling can be a PITA and sometimes water is REALLY deep.
Not much soil so trees (and associated wildlife) are few and any serious amount of farming out of the picture.
It's these areas where acreage is really inexpensive.
Don't build on top of the mountain because of the view.  Build down in the valley, facing I believe south.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Tag.

We're on the way....fire up the grill.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
BillofRights:
In missouri, at least 50+ miles south of I-44 and 50+ miles west of I-55 over to West Plains. I see land for sale in that price range all the time, typically b/w Rolla, Poplar Bluff and West Plains. I have family all over southern MO.

Thanks, I used to look out that way all the time back when I lived there.  Glad to see it hasn't gone up too much.  Still saving my pennies.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#39]
For the time being, my in-laws are down in southwestern MO, so I want to avoid them if possible.  I lived in Springfield for a while, had a blast.  I was thinking about northern Arkansas as a possibility too.  What's with the Lil John lyrics?  And to the guy who told me to stay the fuck out of his state, listen closely...  THIS IS AMERICA!!!  I WILL GO WHEREVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE!  Kiss my ass and polish my nuts.  That is all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

grew up in north ga.. we always sed they shudda shown deliverance more up north more...now around here an acre of decent land is 250,000k .. thats raw undeveloped land..

git up in dem woods boy!

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Wyoming is desparate for workers.  We have more jobs than people.  

The state has been actively recruiting around the country (mostly north so they won't panic at the though of winter), especially in Michigan.  Even in the small town that i live by, there are several new people that have come form Michigan.

Lots of these jobs are for pretty good wages.  Starting wages at the two big mines (surface, not underground) just west of here is around $40,000.  Welders are scarce and can make six figures in the Casper area.

Any construction skills will get you top dollar in the population centers; Casper, Gillette, etc.

The down side is that you will have a really hard time finding any place to live and what you find will be very expensive.  

Define "very expensive". A cheap house around me is $350-375k. I'll be looking to spend around $450k.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top