Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 11:48:54 AM EDT
Got some bad news.

The store I buy my Mexican Coke from just got in a new shippment, all bottles dated/stamped 27 Feb 08 with the actual bottle being made in 2002

The sticker lable on the bottle now reads High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of Sugar

Can anyone verify they are also switching away from Sugar?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
no bueno.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My family is in Mexico right now, I will call my mom and ask her if its real sugar there give me a half hour or so.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Como si usted pueda conocer la diferencia en una prueba ciega del sabor
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry, I"m sure with increased ethanol production HFCS will become too expensive and they'll have no choice but to switch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't worry, I"m sure with increased ethanol production HFCS will become too expensive and they'll have no choice but to switch.

Yeaahhhh. But isnt sugarcane and sugar beets better sources of ethanol than corn anyway?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Como si usted pueda conocer la diferencia en una prueba ciega del sabor

I have had no problems telling them apart so far!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
theres been a few threads about this lately, everyone is finding it with HFCS now...guess the mexi coke with sugar is gone the way of american coke with sugar

guess you can still get the yellow capped kosher coke during passover tho
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeaahhhh. But isnt sugarcane and sugar beets better sources of ethanol than corn anyway?

Cane and beet surgar is better how? You're still wasting crop land as a source for fuel.
There are other sources out there that won't take away from food production. Like algae or switchgrass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
theres been a few threads about this lately, everyone is finding it with HFCS now...guess the mexi coke with sugar is gone the way of american coke with sugar

Thats really sucks. Ill still get some here and there as Coke always tastes better from a glass bottle.

I have not been able to find any Kosher Coke here during passover...ah well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought two cases of Mexican Coke from Costco. It is made with real sugar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Went by a Carneciera here in Tucson (Mexico's 3rd largest city) and their Messican Coke is now being made with HFCS.

WTF.  The almighty Coke overlords must have pulled some strings.

Seriously, it's almost like a goddamned conspiracy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#13]
HFCS is cheaper than cane sugar...and it is far easier to handle because it can be pumped.

Sure, you can try to blow granulated sugar but it won't dissolve as fast.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
HFCS is cheaper than cane sugar...and it is far easier to handle because it can be pumped.

Yes, but the Mexicans, operating in a 3rd world economy seemed fine with using the more expensive & difficult to handle REAL sugar...Until it became popular stateside.

At which point I would bet my next paycheck someone high on the Coke-Cola totem pole made a phone call & had a sit down with their Mexican counterparts and things changed.

I still think that there's something sinister up with it.  Tin foil hat be damned...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just bought two cases of Mexican Coke from Costco. It is made with real sugar.

+1

My Mexican Coke tastes just like the stuff in Puerto Vallarta. And has sugar on the label.

Anyone else think the sugar cane cola is less carbonated?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats really sucks. Ill still get some here and there as Coke always tastes better from a glass bottle.

I have not been able to find any Kosher Coke here during passover...ah well.

South Florida too?  I stocked up myself!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck it.

New Plan:  BEER!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cane and beet surgar is better how? You're still wasting crop land as a source for fuel.
There are other sources out there that won't take away from food production. Like algae or switchgrass.

Cane sugar is more efficient for fuel than corn which.

Cane Sugar is pretty cheap in Mexico, but the American goverment put high import duties on sugar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dublin Dr. Pepper is better anyway.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I get my Pepsi from Retrosoda.com.

The Mexican Pepsi labels say HFCS or Sugar.  From what I can taste, its definetly sugar.  I'm thinking they just put the HFCS or Sugar for importation purposes.  

How they get away with it since its vague I don't know. But I don't care and wouldn't turn it away if I was dealing with it at work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Take cane sugar and boil it into a syrup...then you add the flavorings and water.

Try this sometime..a basic recipe:

Take two cups sugar and 1 cup water..place in sauce pan and stir until sugar disolves.
Place on high heat...do not stir...wait for mixture to boil...boil for 30 seconds. remove from heat. Solution will be a clear, sugar syrup.

In 1 gallon pitcher add 2 cups Lemon Juice, the sugar syrup you made, and fill with cold water...stir...you now have lemonade....The sugar will NOT settle to the bottom in this recipe.

You can take sugar syrup, water, and concentrated flavorings and make all kinds of concoctions...add carbonated water...you get SODA

Purple stuff at the supermarket...flavoring, water, and sugar syrup or cornsyrup...that's all the crap is...easy to make your own using Loran Flavoring oils....if you Google around, you can find all kinds of extra strength industrial flavors used in the mass production of food products.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take cane sugar and boil it into a syrup...then you add the flavorings and water.

Try this sometime..a basic recipe:

Take two cups sugar and 1 cup water..place in sauce pan and stir until sugar disolves.
Place on high heat...do not stir...wait for mixture to boil...boil for 30 seconds. remove from heat. Solution will be a clear, sugar syrup.

In 1 gallon pitcher add 2 cups Lemon Juice, the sugar syrup you made, and fill with cold water...stir...you now have lemonade....The sugar will NOT settle to the bottom in this recipe.

You can take sugar syrup, water, and concentrated flavorings and make all kinds of concoctions...add carbonated water...you get SODA

Purple stuff at the supermarket...flavoring, water, and sugar syrup or cornsyrup...that's all the crap is...easy to make your own using Loran Flavoring oils....if you Google around, you can find all kinds of extra strength industrial flavors used in the mass production of food products.  

Believe it or not, it is cheaper to transport corn sryup than granulated sugar.  And by far cheaper than shipping cane sugar sryup.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Who cares, you shouldnt be drinking that shit anyways.

Beer and water.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Beer and water.

+1 !!!

Why the hell are you buying mexican coke anyways?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beer and water.

+1 !!!

Why the hell are you buying mexican coke anyways?

Because its the only REAL coke left...and by supporting Mexican Coke manufacturers Im hopin some o' them bastages will stay IN mexico and not come here illegally!

It seems the older stuff is still sugar, my newer stuff is labeled HFCS though it still seems pretty sweet.

To those that bought it recently labelled sugar tell me the stamped date on the neck of the bottle, its black ink about 1" below the rim.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#27]
When you titled the thread  "Mexican Coke with Sugar"...  I thought you were talking about a it being cut with sugar, not being made with it.

Oops! different product.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Any news from Mexico?

There is always Jones Co soda but I dont think they have a 'Cola' yet
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#29]
your body needs water, so drink that shit!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#31]
bingo - different bottlers.  Last I checked I could get 12 oz here with sugar, but .5 lt were hfcs.  I also so the either bottles.

Found a source for sugar dp, so not hunting mx coke as much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Last night, we went to eat a a little mexican place up the road.  Their Liter bottles of Coca-Cola were still made with sugar.  Date on the bottle was March/08.  *shrug*

Maybe there's more than one Coke bottler in Mexico, and some use sugar, some don't?

There are two major Coke bottlers in Mexico: FEMSA, and Embotelladoras ARCA.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I have been drinking the Dr. Pepper made with Cane Sugar and it is better than the other Dr. Pepper.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#34]
my pic from last week:

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
my pic from last week:

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/junk/CIMG1692.jpg

Which bottler?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my pic from last week:

Which bottler?

dunno

it's not on the bottle....it was probably on the cap

I'll research that tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#37]
This thread is yet another reminder that Castro needs to die-all that Cuban cane sugar needs to enter the U.S. commodity market.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
my pic from last week:

Which bottler?

dunno

Excellent. We may be able to solve The Mystery of the Mexican Coke Bottler Who Uses HFCS.

And they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
my pic from last week:

Which bottler?

dunno

Excellent. We may be able to solve The Mystery of the Mexican Coke Bottler Who Uses HFCS.

And they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids.

Thats the exact same type I got as well, same label and same markings
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thats the exact same type I got as well, same label and same markings

Same here.  I picked up a few at the local mexican grocery store and it tasted like ass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
my pic from last week:

Damm, that this chaps my ass.

Just don't see why Coke can't tast the same as it did in 1960?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top