Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2007 1:09:14 PM EDT

anyone going this year?  heading up there for the first time and trying to figure out how much money to take.  i know the answer...as much as i can.  just trying to decide how much of my junk i need to sell and pool some cash together.  was thinking it would be a good place to pick up ammo and ak parts kits.

let me know what i should expect.

Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Never been but from what I have gathered over the years it is definitely a must see event. It looks like you will need to bring as much cash as you can afford to spend. Lots of parts, ammo, heck everything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
boots and a jacket that holler gets cold!!and muddy! as far as money goes it all depends on what you want ,a $50,000 ma duce 50 cal machine gun to a 2.00 hotdog.have fun and get there EARLY!
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]

how big is the actually vendor, dealer, table, part?

Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
DON'T forget hearing protection, and don't expect to find many deals on ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I will be there.Bring all the money you can.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]

how much to rent a flamethrower?

Link Posted: 9/30/2007 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i think 50.00, my kid wanted to try it i said no!
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

HUGE!! have plenty of time it will take a while.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

bigger than average, a lot of class 3 stuff
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Plan on making it part of our 5 year anniversary getaway.

He's got it heart set on a BAR.    Hope he's used to disappointment.  

a vendor last year had 4, the CHEAPEST one was 65,000!!! or all 4 for 230,000!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
damn thats a little steap to pull the trigger on a flamethrower.  will take a fat wallet with me.

GO TO THE LOWER RANGE AND RENT A MACHINE GUN! talk about dropping bucks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
It's gonna be cold. Bring lots of cash and your own beer. The local beer place is very expensive.

Also firewood.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
The ammo is gone, I bet many AK kits will no longer have barrels.  You waited too long to go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's gonna be cold. Bring lots of cash and your own beer. The local beer place is very expensive.

Also firewood.

it was 82 degrees here today,  

up to 86 later this week.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
You need to plan on going EARLY on friday to get the best deals, but stay through the night shoot on saturday evening. The NS is a MUST see. Be sure and get a good spot to see the night shoot early. Well before dark. It gets crowded early.

Have fun. I was gonna go, but airfare pricing fucked me over.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I went this spring and it was $200.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
awsome place to go
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Someday I will attend one of those.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
You will never forget the Saturday night shoot, the day shoots are short spurts compared to the firepower unleashed, you cannot hear yourself think, they bang tannerite, probably gasoline, to see a school bus just become a charred wreck is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The best way to describe Knob Creek is it's woodstock for gun nuts! You can not possibly bring enough money with you. It is very easy to spend a few thousand bucks in no time. Parts kits are getting more scarce due to the import ban. The show is larger than most gun shows and you will see more ammo for sale than you could dream of. Get there early Friday morning if you want to shop. Vendors do their shopping Thursday before the public can attend, so the good finds are gone before Friday. Be prepared for the weather, bring hearing protection, and plan to walk a lot. $50 will let you shoot a few rounds through an MG at the lower range. I will take a ride on Red Horse Aviation's helicopter for $70 as I plan to attend. We are having Mardeani's bachelor party there and will meet at the gate Saturday. I will be the one with the pink crocs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#21]
This will be my 4th trip down. I plan on taking about $10k with me. The gun and flame rentals aren't really worth it IMO, way overrated. Spend the money on the helo ride, When a friend and I went and it was a cool ride, low and fast.....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I first went to Knob Creek in the fall of 1988. Back then there wasn't a big crowd behind the firing line for the night shoot. You could pretty much stand directly behind the fence anywhere you wanted to see the guns shoot. No pole barn; they had military tents set up for vendors to put their tables and you could camp free of charge anywhere in the front parking lot on the right. 7.62x39 was $100 a case. Malasian 5.56 was $140 for a case. .50 BMG was 75 cents a round, and a .50 BMG sold for $5000. 1918 Browning belt loaders sold for $65. Boy, I wish we still had prices like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#23]
i wont make it this time. i went to the day and night shoots but will plan on staying all day and night next time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Vendors do their shopping Thursday before the public can attend, so the good finds are gone before FridAY."

this burns my ass! you make he trip, pays yer money,stand in line and get treated like second class citizens. so some vender gets the "deals" and turns around,jacks up the price to nail you!

'

'
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:
"Vendors do their shopping Thursday before the public can attend, so the good finds are gone before FridAY."

this burns my ass! you make he trip, pays yer money,stand in line and get treated like second class citizens. so some vender gets the "deals" and turns around,jacks up the price to nail you!

Can you get into the area with out a vendor badge just hang out Thursday and watch as these guys show up ?

I have never been but would like to some day.

'

'
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Since I'm moving to Kentucky this week, I plan on going to the MGS.

Here's a question, how do us arfcommers recognize one another. Secret handshakes or something?

I'm looking forward to going. Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Since I'm moving to Kentucky this week, I plan on going to the MGS.

Here's a question, how do us arfcommers recognize one another. Secret handshakes or something?

I'm looking forward to going. Sounds like fun.

Where are you moving to in Kentucky?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't answer for you, but can only give my own experience.
I have only been there once. Last Year.
I am into black guns, suppressors, exotic weapons. I go to "normal" gun shows but don't see a whole lot that I am interested in. I can go to a pretty decent local gun show with a thousand bucks in my pocket, buy a couple books or something and go home.

The machine gun shooting there did very little for me. I don't really give a shit about machineguns. I own a machinegun and never shoot it. We have local machinegun matches and I don't go to them.
However, the flea market was another story. I very nearly lost control of myself. I am not trying to be funny here. I wanted to buy damn near everything I saw. I spent $1500 before I walked past the first dozen tables I think. One of the only things that kept me from going absolutely crazy was the thought of carrying the stuff around and trying to get it back to my car.
I went through every table in the flea market in minute detail. I watched about 1/2 hour of shooting and left. I bought some of the coolest stuff I own there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I am into black guns, suppressors, exotic weapons. I go to "normal" gun shows but don't see a whole lot that I am interested in. I can go to a pretty decent local gun show with a thousand bucks in my pocket, buy a couple books or something and go home.

The machine gun shooting there did very little for me. I don't really give a shit about machineguns. I own a machinegun and never shoot it. We have local machinegun matches and I don't go to them.
However, the flea market was another story. I very nearly lost control of myself. I am not trying to be funny here. I wanted to buy damn near everything I saw. I spent $1500 before I walked past the first dozen tables I think. One of the only things that kept me from going absolutely crazy was the thought of carrying the stuff around and trying to get it back to my car.
I went through every table in the flea market in minute detail. I watched about 1/2 hour of shooting and left. I bought some of the coolest stuff I own there.

What did you buy?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

what machine gun do you own that evidentally hate since you "dont really give a shit" about them?

any interest in getting rid of it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I am going to make it up there this time, never been before. Probally wont be there till saturady morning so maybe I can still get the deals I am searching for. I will be there solo so if anyone wants to chat with me look for the white guy in a woodland camo boonie and LBV, and an AR on my shoulder..... Probally a rather common site but still say hello too me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Me and some buddies are driving up from Florida. I've been twice before, it's definitely worth the trip. As for money, bring all you can spare. There's always something neat to buy. I bought a 37mm launcher last year, and everytime I go shooting my friends beg me to let them shoot my "grenade launcher".
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I went last spring and it was overwhelming. The pole barn is HUGE!

We took our time and walked the pole barn and horseshoe twice. That took about six hours to do.

Bring alot of money. You will see parts, ammo, and accessories there that you can't find anywhere else.

I saw quite a few C&R transferrable MG's but they were not cheap.

I took $600 dollars and could kick myself for bringing so little money with me.

People there in April were buying ammo like it was going out of style. There was a constant convoy of mules ferrying ammo to peoples trucks in the parking lot.

For gun enthusiasts, Knob Creek is Heaven.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I am going for the first time in about 4 years.  The brother in law will be with me as well as our wives.  1st trip to the creek for Mrs. Kyreb.

I plan to wear a ARFCOM shirt of some sort.  Say howdy if you see me.

Brother in law is looking for fodder for his new Barret M82.  Hope he finds some. I'll just be looking period.

Weather is supposed to be in the upper 60s and sunny.  Sounds really good to me.

We will be tailgating before the night shoot.  Probably down in the lower parking lot.  Seems we always end up down there by the creek somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'd say it's about as large as an average gun show, but the quality and variety tend to be higher.  You don't get 129 tables of Fudds selling beat-up old single-shot shotguns and bolt-action deer rifles and 21 tables of other stuff (including the beanie-baby vendors).  Lots of manufacturers showing off their latest wares, along with plenty of dealers catering to BRD victims.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top