Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2001 4:13:11 PM EDT
thought I'd get more feedback here
& promote the other site [:D]

[url]http://handguns.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?action=modify&id=686[/url]
Quoted:
When I was young & stupid I bought .40 sigma[:(]. But the only good thing about that was Someone wanted to trade me a Mod. 19 .357[:D] for it. It didn't take me long to agree.
View Quote

You know I've often wondered what was so bad about the 9mm & 40cal Sigma pistols??

Aren't these basicly Glock clones?

I remember when these first came out there was talk of a lawsuit or somthing.

BUT if the design is essentially the same what where the problems??

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets see, one of our local LEO's bought 4 for the dept. All the sights came loose and or fell off. Triggers are crap, the guns are just junk period!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W got sued by Glock for patent violations when the pistol came out.  The design of the Sigma differs in someplaces but the operating system is the same.  The Sigma is usuaslly viewed as bad reverse engineering embrassment.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one for about a month. 50 rounds after I got it  it  went back to the factory .It was sticking the primer on the side and would not fire all the time.Also the triger pull was very very very very very long and hard.I would never owne another sigma..... Dont waste your money buy a glock or h/k .
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It was striking the primer .sorry
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Sigma 9mm - I shoot better with it than my Glock or Beretta.  It has never jammed or misfed ever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe it's just the .40 caliber Sigmas that have problems.  My .40 Sigma does seem to jam alot.  I used it in a USPSA local match once, and during the last string it jammed so much that I just stopped.  It made no sense to try to continue.  However, at the last match that I attended, another shooter used a Sigma in 9mm, and he had no problems.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Our Dept. was issued S&W 40C's a few years ago. S&W was the low bidder, obviously. They were a significant improvement over the weapon that they replaced. We also tested the Glock.40. I liked the trigger pull on the Glock better. The Glock was marginally more accurate, but not enough to make a difference in most situations. The first lot of weapons we received were fine. Very few malfunctions, but no night sights. The second order we placed included the night sights. I noticed that all orders received after the initial order had a few other differences. The extractor has been redesigned and the slide is slightly different. The internals appear the same. these later weapons seem to malfunction at a significantly greater rate than the earlier ones, mostly failure to feed and stovepipes. I don't see that much difference in design and think it may be due to a reduction in quality control. We have also had at least 2, that I know of, crack the rear corner of the frame. These appeared to remain able to function but were replaced.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a week late on this, but I have some useful input.  I've had a Sigma for several years, but *always* had problems with it stove-piping.  Well, a couple of weeks back I finally got around to taking it to a gunsmith.  He took some Black Hills ammo, walked to the back room, and fired 30 rounds straight without a malfunction.  I took it to the range tonight and put an entire malfunction-free box through it.  I feel A LOT better knowing that it just needs good ammo.  

It's quite accurate, btw.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have three .40 Sigmas.  An SW40C that needed nothing done to it out of the box; an SW40VE with matte black Roguard on the slide that needed to have the feed ramp polished to make it 100% reliable over the last 500 rounds and became my carry gun, replacing the 40C; and an SW40G that hasn't been fired yet, but has had the feedramp polished as a pre-emptive measure.  The barrel is all black, inside and out.  The black finish has been removed from the chamber.  It seemed like a good idea.  Off to the range Saturday for a couple of hundred rounds of initial breakin.  All have Trijicon Night Sights.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a S&W Sigma in 9mm.  Extremely hard trigger pull.  I wrote S&W.  They said pack it up and send it back.  I sold it before I sent it back for cheap.  Told the new owner to send it in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Sigma 9mm - I shoot better with it than my Glock or Beretta.  It has never jammed or misfed ever.
View Quote

Sounds like you got the "ONE".[:D]
View Quote
I have a 40 and have never had a problem I asked this the other day I also said GLOCKS ARE OVER RATED AND OVER PRICED PERIOD!! [):)]pg
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a SW40F and it was without doubt the WORST piece of JUNK I have ever owned!  When I bought it new from the factory the gun had very strange tooling marks in the barrel...  which S&W told me would go away with use...  They never did....

AND the stupid frame on the gun split lengthwise starting below the muzzle towards the pistol grip.  The split was close to an inch back towards the grip....

I was pissed and complained vigorously to S&W who simply replaced the gun with another New S&W Sigme 40F.  I sold the second gun UNFIRED at a significant loss and I haven't bought another S&W product since!  Burn me once... shame on YOU... Burn me twice.... shame on me!

I have two Glocks Now (G-17 and G-21) and both are MUCH better weapons.  I am paying more and hence I have the right to expect more.  Buy the cheapest... get junk IMHO!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#15]
The happiest day in my safe was the day the STIGMA left the shelf.
SW40V It shot 9"groups at 12 feet. As close to a single shot pistol as a semi auto can be.
Spent more time getting repaired than in my safe. after the last "Life Time Warranty" work on it they finally replaced the barrel with a new design that had a vent hole at the breech end. I dumped 50 rounds thru it to see if it at least functioned and quickly sold it. At that point I didnt care how it shot, I would never trust it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
icemanokc, are you saying that the slide on your Sigma hits the primer?  That sounds like a dangerous problem.  It could fire (way) out of battery.z

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#18]
They tried to be PC.
They tried to replace the P7 with the sigma.
[url]http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/smith_wesson2.htm[/url]

Oh, and check out the S&W
link at the bottom LOL!!

"S&W - We Are the ATF"
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm glad to know I'm not the only person to have problems with a sigma.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#20]
After S&W's caving to the Justice Dept, I could never own a S&W product again.  Screw 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top