Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2001 11:43:45 AM EDT
I am buying my first ar and i am unsure as to which barrel length to get,16" or 20". pro's and con's??
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You cant go wrong with either.  
I got a 16 inch. A little bit lighter.
Whatever feels right in your hands, if what you should pick.
Or if you start saying in the middle of the gun store, "this is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine!"[;)]
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you plan on doing with your new AR?

What ranges do you plan to shoot?

What type of ammo do you plan on shooting?

What kind of accuracy do you want to get out of your rifle?

Is the price a big factor?

Lots of questions, but, there are lots of factors involved. You can almost go bottom of the barrel, and buy a throw-away rifle, or, you can go with a top-of-the-line AR. Most folks find themselves somewhere in the middle.

Shop around, and get the best deal on exactly the rifle that you want.

16" will be more for a close range(0 to 300 yds), rounds on target rifle. Easy to move in close quarters, lighter.

20" will gain you some accuracy(, and allow for longer shotspoint targets well past 500 yds)

Another beauty of the AR is that you can buy another upper to add to your system. So, you can buy a 20" upper now, and add a 16" later, depending on what you decide to do.

Lew
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
the only advantage to a longer barrel is more velocity for longer range shooting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]Bushmaster Dissipator[/b]:

Shorter bbl. with longer sight radius.
Perfect.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
my wife keeps telling me that sized doesn't matter....
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top