Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 9:53:24 PM EDT
I would have to say that I love this rifle. It is absolutely a joy too shoot! I'm still working with the sighting (good out too 200-300 yds.) with open sights. I'm sure I will be able to do better. However I can't see this being an ideal combat weapon. Sure it packs a punch and is accurate. But I was doing some rapid fire drills with it and well lets just say accuracy suffered. I think in full auto it would be even worse? I see where the AR is better in that regard. Still love the thing though, my .02
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The Cartridge 7.62 NATO is just too powerful to be used in a select fire weapon.

The M14 is a WONDERFUL rifle..it feels good in the hands, inspires confidence, has good ergonomics, can hit your target a long ways off, and the round has enough PUNCH to get through a lot of COVER and nail the guy on the other side.

It is truly a Riflemans Rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Basically the M-14 was the right rifle at the wrong time.  It was obsolescent when it was introduced.  The time and money put into its development was a waste as far as the military is concerned.  

However, this is one example of government waste that I don’t mind since we civilians got a really great rifle out of it.  This should happen more often!
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
ed-

You have made a prety good assessment of the M1A rifle, IMO.

I love mine too, if I EVER get it back from the guy working on it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
IF? I could only keep one. It would probably be the M1A.
Sigh.........
Only one? Sniff, sniff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top