Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 6:47:32 AM EDT
Hi all.

I've heard great things about the Spyderco Sharpmaker on the knife forums. I have most other sharpeners and systems (lots of Smith stuff), except I don't have the Sharpmaker or the Lasky systems yet.

I want a system that does very well at sharpening very thin, high-angle blades (like my Kershaw Ken Onion designs). Does anyone out there use the Sharpmaker and how would you rate it when compared to the other systems? Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
this one is supposed to be the best.  It better be for the price.  I have never used the Sharpmaker myself, but I have heard good things about it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll admit that my sharpmaker was a negotiated item in my divorce; the ex loved it for kitchen knives. I let her have it and I'm buying another one.

It was one of a very few things that we argued over when dividing property. I guess that says something about us both being idiots and/or the sharpener being good enough to mention.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]
tag for more info

I would like to know if there is a (relatively) portable system that one can take out into the field.   I have the Sharpmaker and cannot get a good edge using it.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
this one is supposed to be the best.  It better be for the price.  I have never used the Sharpmaker myself, but I have heard good things about it.

Wow... looks like a nice system. But geez... it'd BETTER be able to nail a great edge for that kind of money. I'd go for the $200 Apex if I KNEW it'd do great every time, but not the Pro system for any reason. $500? Wow...

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Lansky system, but really don't use it much.

My preference is 3 grades of bench stones, followed by stropping on a leather razor strop or a piece of glass.  For fine show-off edges, I'll go all the way to that razor edge.  For utility edges, I like to keep it a little rougher and use those micro-serrations to an advanatage.

It's still sometimes fun to see how close it can come to scalpel-sharp, though.

I just don't seem to be able to keep a consistent angle when I use my diamond files and stones. I look at the edge and can see a rolled or curved edge, rather than a perfectly straight one (like a chisel). So I'm obviously not keeping it at the same angle with every pass. So that's why I think I need something like the Lansky system to help me. I've never tried stropping, but have read about it. I guess I never thought I had an edge worth stropping... LOL.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Use the Lansky to get an idea of HOW to sharpen, and then just use a stone to sharpen. It is a skill, and somewhat tough to learn without a mentor (which the Lansky essentially becomes).

Learn that skill, and keep it quiet. If anyone finds out, you will have a line of people wanting you to sharpen EVERYTHING.

Good info man. Perhaps I'll get the Lansky and try going that route.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for more info

I would like to know if there is a (relatively) portable system that one can take out into the field.   I have the Sharpmaker and cannot get a good edge using it.  

I don't know about the Sharpmaker but the Lansky comes in a nice little plastic box and you would only have it to carry.  There are two pedestals available--the plastic one ($5) does NOT fit in the box, but the aluminum one ($10) does.  

When I was hunting in a "deer camp" with other guys I always had to sharpen everyone's knife the night before opening day.  

+1 on the Lansky.

I have it and have been able to put razor edges on blades from the beginning.

I heard so much good stuff about the Sharpmaker that I asked for it for my b-day and my wife got me one. Unfortunately, I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe I'm just not very good at it, but I have a hard time keeping a consistent edge on it. The Lansky seems to make it idiot proof, while the Sharpmaker requires you to hold the knife at a perfect perpendicular angle in two planes.

After trying to get good edges with the sharpmaker I got frustrated and went back to the Lansky. I will admit that I did not watch the video that came with the sharpmaker (but I did read the directions...shhh! ).

Maybe the video can give me some insights into what I'm doing wrong, but it seems pretty self intuitive to me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just don't seem to be able to keep a consistent angle when I use my diamond files and stones.

Yeah I'm in the same boat.  I mean I can't even get a good edge using a Sharpmaker, where the only "skill" required is to hold a knife straight up and down while passing them on the stones.  

I'll have to look into the Lansky ... sounds like a truly idiot proof method and relatively portable.  Believe me, if anybody can get a Lansky (or other so-called "foolproof" method) to screw up, it'll be me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]
sharpmaker....man I had a bald left arm after I got it...I sharpened every knife in the house...and the wife loves being able to slice through stuff in the kitchen...she got it for me on my birthday....I had a lansky...no comparison in my honest opinion...but I need a set of the diamond stones for some reshaping I want to do....

cheaper than dirt had them for $49
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the lansky..then once you are comfy with that, move up to stones.

I use Japanese water stones on all the Chef's knives in my pro kit. I can shave my arm hair off no problem after a bit of work on the edges.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the Lansky also.  I was taught to use a stone, or a steel, so I don't use the Lansky much.  The times I have, it really worked well.  The only thing I don't know for sure is how you could use it on a knife that doesn't have a flat surface on it....or a double edged knife.  That is where the edge pro is supposed to be better.  YMMV.

eta: I noticed on really big knives the angle on the Lansky kinda got outa whack towards the tip of the blade....meaning the bevel got way wider than down towards the hilt.  Could have been operator error.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#14]
man that one hell of a sharpner
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I use stones.  I've tried other stuff, but can't get anywhere near the same results as sharpening by hand on a good stone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#16]
IM sent Red_Label
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top