Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 10:53:35 PM EDT
I like it when I'm the only one there.  

In fact I put headphones on and don't make eye contact with anyone when I'm "in the zone."

Weird because I'm normally a social person.  But in the gym I like to do my thing by myself.  I never have like having a workout partner either.

Same goes when running.  I HATE running with someone else.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
What is this exercise you speak of?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Internet warriors don't need no stinkin' exercise.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I ignore everyone anyways. I just do my thing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you talking about? Jim? are you gay?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I like to be alone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I like going solo too. I tried a partner for awhile and it was a PITA, too much BSing for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Alone, I hate those fags that always say they are using a machine when there not. Fuck you machine stealers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Alone. I am busy. It is called a "work out" for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
As long as I can get to my equipment when I want, I don't care.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually work out with one of my friends, but when I'm there alone, I have the iPod on and I ignore everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Same here.  I am pretty extroverted but at the gym I keep to myself.  If I end up getting to know someone I would probably spend more time talking less time working out.  I hate a crowded gym.  There is always someone hogging a machine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer having a workout partner b/c it allows for someone to spot me ... otherwise can't always work to exhaustion by myself.  I haven't had a workout partner for 7+ years.    So now I just go by myself and slap on the Sansa mp3 player to drown out the incessant chatter from the other members.

For running, I also prefer to have someone there.  You can draft off them and save your energy.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Alone in the gym, run with others.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I prefer having a workout partner b/c it allows for someone to spot me ... otherwise can't always work to exhaustion by myself.    
That is why I like the Smith Machine or dumbbells.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#16]
My best workouts were always when I was full of hate and anti-social sentiment. Never liked people. Then I started getting old, fat and happy. People's mere existence didn't bother me as much, but my workouts weren't what they used to be. So really, the best scenario was for there to be a lot of people there, bugging the shit out of me and making me want to start flicking 5's at them like bludgeoning frisbees. But nope, nowadays I just have to blue-collar my way through a workout rather than hate my way through it, so the best scenario is for fewer people to be around so I don't have to wait for anything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Alone, then i can take my shirt off & pull faces 'n' stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#19]
My very good friend owns the gym I started going to , he gave me a key and the alarm code. He said go when ever you like. He knows some times I work odd hours.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
As long as I can get to my equipment when I want, I don't care.

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer having a workout partner b/c it allows for someone to spot me ... otherwise can't always work to exhaustion by myself.    

That is why I like the Smith Machine or dumbbells.

I hear ya ... unfortunately my gym only has one Smith machine.  So getting time on it is not always easy, even though I work out at night.  And I pay $75/mo for this gym ....
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My best workouts were always when I was full of hate and anti-social sentiment. Never liked people. Then I started getting old, fat and happy. People's mere existence didn't bother me as much, but my workouts weren't what they used to be. So really, the best scenario was for there to be a lot of people there, bugging the shit out of me and making me want to start flicking 5's at them like bludgeoning frisbees. But nope, nowadays I just have to blue-collar my way through a workout rather than hate my way through it, so the best scenario is for fewer people to be around so I don't have to wait for anything.

Interesting.  

Actually I know what you mean.  I've hated myself through a couple of good workouts too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Sharing the gym with a few pretty ladies always makes working out seem to go faster.

It also provides motivation to keep up the pace while running!

John
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Opposite for me... I'm normally not a social person at all but workout partners help keep me motivated in the gym, I workout more with a partner than without.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I like working out alone and I go when the gym is less crowded so I get in do what I have to and leave I waiting for machines or free weights.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I like going with a partner, someone to BS with in between sets or to kind of push me harder.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I like to be alone when I'm working out but I like to look at the toned girls on the way in and the way out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I like it when I'm the only one there.  

In fact I put headphones on and don't make eye contact with anyone when I'm "in the zone."

I prefer being by myself.

I have headphones on and I'm usually wearing my Oakleys.

Why wear the Oakleys? Because I know they won't get stolen when they are on my face.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#29]
alone when I went to a gym.  I'd listen to the radio and do my thing.  If people were there that I knew I'd talk to them for a bit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I like to be alone when I'm working out but I like to look at the toned girls on the way in and the way out.

The flirty girls in the tight clothes are nothing but pains....

They show up in packs and end up hanging around a group of machines and spend more time chatting than doing reps. It annoys the hell out of me...especially since they are campus girls (I get free access to the campus gym now that I'm back in school for my second go-round...) and have the annoying proclivity to misuse the word "like" every other breath.

I actually timed them one time, and in one minute a girl misused the word "like" 42 times.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Alone in the gym, run with others.

+1, I can push myself under weight much more easily than I can running.

I don't mind if I have to switch sets up while someone's using the power rack or something, but if you're going to be using it, please god learn how to squat properly, and learn how to go atleast to parallel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#32]
It depends really.

My heavy lifting days I have to have a partner and we usually have a group of 3 of us and rotate lifting and spotting.

On my light lifting days I sometimes go alone and put on the ipod.  It has more to do with scheduling gym time though.  Sometimes I go in real late to the gym, sometimes early.

As too running, my knees start to hurt anymore from that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I like working out with a partner, but only if it is someone I know who has the ability to challange me. I push myself harder that way, and I can go to the max because I have a spotter.

If I cant work out with someone I know, I would rather work out alone. I dont know about you guys, but I always feel like I have this uneasy tension in the room towards other people I dont know when I work out.... maybe its the testasterone

Oh, and my BIGGEST gym pet peve... the people who think they are the workout expert and give everyone thier unwarranted workout advice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The flirty girls in the tight clothes are nothing but pains....

I didn't say I like to work out with them, I said I like to look at them before and after my workout
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I like there to be lots of babes around so they can enjoy the honor of gazing at my six-pack and bulging guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Turn in your man card  Looking at sex behinds is one of the perks of being at the gym.

I'm on a college campus.

Half naked girls are all I see when I'm going to classes or the gym.

I posted a while back that I can tell you the panty preference of the school simply by trying to get from point A to point B because the clothes look like they were made to cover the anatomy of 8 year olds and don't really get the job done of covering 19 year old women. Just walking up the stairs in one of the teaching buildings will position a chick's rear end about 4 inches from your face....

It just doesn't do much for me. I've been too old to ogle the 19 year olds for quite some time now. When I look at them I don't think they are hot babes....(the lingo should give you some idea of just how old I am...)...I'm more inclined to look at them with a sense of pity because apparently their families were too poor to buy the rest of that skirt.

You should see the campus when the first really good hot sunny day comes after winter....the place is absolutely lousy with what I assume are destitute young women who would be completely nude if not for stumbling upon a supply of colorful eyepatches that they cleverly use to cover the naughtiest bits of their anatomy....and that just barely....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You should see the campus when the first really good hot sunny day comes after winter....the place is absolutely lousy with what I assume are destitute young women who would be completely nude if not for stumbling upon a supply of colorful eyepatches that they cleverly use to cover the naughtiest bits of their anatomy....and that just barely....
I live within 6 miles of the Virginia Tech campus, first warm day of spring  is one of my favorite days.  I call it "the first day of sports bra weather"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top