Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 6:34:30 PM EDT

My Plt Sgt wants me to find a FAST and CHEAP way to clean the area of the chamber where the locking lugs lock up.

I'm talking white glove nazi armorer clean.

I know it's going overboard, but I have to do it. I was thinking about either break or carb cleaner. Which would be better?
Or is there something better?

This needs to leave the finish on the outside of the rifle untouched.

I'm sure that there are sprays out there made to do this, but keep in mind I'll be using it on a shit ton of rifles, and buying it myself, so I want it to be cheap.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

ETA: Carb cleaner is too harsh.  Brake cleaner dries without leaving a residue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Break Cleaner, although when I was in we used carb cleaner
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Carburator cleaner often leaves a slight residue, non clorinated brake cleaner is your best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Dental kit, Q tips and breakfree

Get to it.

Can of GunScrubber would help. Just a few drops of CLP on a  barbers brush over the entire weapon after you are done then hit it with a rag. The finish will be tits.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always had the best results with carb cleaner...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
both are good, just dont get it on plastic.

The major difference between carb and brake clean is that carb cleaner wont burn out your O2 sensors on your car.

There is a spray on gun cleaner that is plastic safe. I dont remember what its called but it comes in a yellow can.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Try to find a "gun specific" solvent\degreaser instead of using carb cleaner
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought at one time somebody was making a cotton/felt "patch" (thicker than a normal patch) that was shaped like the bolt face.  I think they were called cleaning stars, or something similar.  I've never used them, but they looked like they would work as advertised.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Powder blast works well
www.break-free.com/products/products_powderblastcleaner.asp?catalog=civil

Doesn't seem to work quite as well as brake cleaner though, and IMO smells worse for longer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I thought at one time somebody was making a cotton/felt "patch" (thicker than a normal patch) that was shaped like the bolt face.  I think they were called cleaning stars, or something similar.  I've never used them, but they looked like they would work as advertised.

CJ Weapons sells them.  I believe they're called Chamber-Maid patches.

I've never tried them myself, but if you Google for them you can find them being sold online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top