Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 10:37:18 PM EDT
I've seen some Eagle Arms AR-15's for sale lately and am curious as to the quality of the guns. Are they milspec or mix n match guns like Colt? They seem to be priced right. Anybody that has one feel free to clue me in and share the features on these firearms including twist rates.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
A preban Eagle Arms 16" "shorty" I used to have was cool.

Excellent fit and function on mine.  Color match was perfect.

Not sure if milspec, but what's mix n match?

Paid $1,000.00.

1/9 twist on the 16".

My favorite out of all the AR variants.

Overall, nice quality.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Different size fire control parts, some with bayo lug and some with not, some with raised mag fence and some not, different size front take down pins (and not push pin), etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Different size fire control parts, some with bayo lug and some with not, some with raised mag fence and some not, different size front take down pins (and not push pin), etc. etc.
View Quote

My configuration had metal telescoping stock, bayonet lug, heavy barrel(older Eagle's had skinny barrels), A2 flash hider, two equal size push pins, fenced mag release, forward assist, didn't notice anything peculiar about the fire control parts or the bolt.

However, I did notice one other notable company that had thrown FN parts into the mix.  Next time you have to try harder to file "FN" off boys...

Give me a "[size=6]D[/size=6]"...

Give me a "[size=6]P[/size=6]"...

Give me a "[size=6]M[/size=6]"...

Give me a "[size=6]?[/size=6]"...

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Getsome,
Eagle Arms became Armalite some time in the early 90's. I have a pre ban 16in flattop carbine from Eagle. Great Gun all mill spec. But i also believe that ArmaLite has started selling "Eagle Arms" new stripped post ban lowers for the "do it your self" guys. So look one over real good and check the #'s if someones claiming it's pre ban.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
[size=5]Eagle Arms = Armalite[/size=5]
Eagle arms is the same company that is now calling themselves Armalite. They bought the name Armalite.
Smart move, alot of folks think they are the original AR15 builder.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Eagle arms is the same company that is now calling themselves Armalite. They bought the name Armalite.
View Quote
And most folks know that it is not the same company.  I have 3 original ArmaLites (from when the company was in Costa Mesa), and the quality on the 'NEW' ArmaLite is at least equal, if not better.  Colt and others have gone through several owners as well.  

Eagle Arms prebans and postbans are great rifles.  The prebans are pricey as are most prebans.  Be sure to check the serial number.  It it says 'Eagle Arms div of Armalite' and says Geneseo, IL, it is a postban with some exceptions, that being a damaged preban Eagle Arms lower that was replaced by ArmaLite/Eagle Arms with the SAME serial number as the replaced lower.  The prebans will usually say 'Eagle Arms' and will be from Coal Valley, IL.  A factory assemble postban Eagle Arms will have a while eagle stamped on front of the mag well, as do all ArmaLites.  Some of the prebans that they released recently have the white stamp as well.  These were assembled before the ban and released later, as recently as 8 months ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Eagle Arms and Armalite are now one in the same.  The difference is that an Eagle Arms gun may not have been built by Eagle Arms.  While you can buy either an Armalite or an Eagle Arms AR-15 as a complete gun, you can not buy an Armalite stripped lower receiver.  If you have an Armalite it left the factory as a full gun.  You can buy Eagle Arms stripped lowers, so you could possible have a parts gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Carl, read the post just above yours on how to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, whatever happened to the AR-180?
Haven't heard anything about it in a while.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BTW, whatever happened to the AR-180?
Haven't heard anything about it in a while.
View Quote

The AR180B is currently on hold.  They had a vendor substitute material for the cam pin guide.  He used substandard material that was different from what they specified.  They are destroying all the uppers made with this material and are starting over.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
m15a2 owned it since 11-98 luv it never any probs shoots very well.would recomend it.paid 700 out the door at that time.gotta remember i live in the prk.(45 in taxes and 17-20 for dros).I thought that was a steal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
And most folks know that it is not the same company.  I have 3 original ArmaLites (from when the company was in Costa Mesa), and the quality on the 'NEW' ArmaLite is at least equal, if not better.  Colt and others have gone through several owners as well.  

Eagle Arms prebans and postbans are great rifles.  The prebans are pricey as are most prebans.  Be sure to check the serial number.  It it says 'Eagle Arms div of Armalite' and says Geneseo, IL, it is a postban with some exceptions, that being a damaged preban Eagle Arms lower that was replaced by ArmaLite/Eagle Arms with the SAME serial number as the replaced lower.  The prebans will usually say 'Eagle Arms' and will be from Coal Valley, IL.  A factory assemble postban Eagle Arms will have a while eagle stamped on front of the mag well, as do all ArmaLites.  Some of the prebans that they released recently have the white stamp as well.  These were assembled before the ban and released later, as recently as 8 months ago.
View Quote

Hey, I'm not knockin' them. Both Springfield Armory and Armalite took an old name.
Both are quality firearms makers.
(Hmm, both in Geneseo IL too.)
Tell us about your original Costa Mesa armalites.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey, I'm not knockin' them. Both Springfield Armory and Armalite took an old name.
Both are quality firearms makers.
(Hmm, both in Geneseo IL too.)
Tell us about your original Costa Mesa armalites.
View Quote

They are AR180's, one made in Costa Mesa, one made by Howa in Japan, and one made by Sterling in England.  The quality on the Sterling is not quite as good as the other two, but it is by no means any slouch.  The Howa was not sold to me as NIB NBF, but upon taking it apart, I'll be damned if I can tell it's ever been fired.  The Costa Mesa one was very close, but perhaps had a few rounds through it, but not many, if at all.  The Sterling has been Black T'ed by Birdsong and it is the shooter and the other 2 sit in the back of the safe.  The Sterling is extremely accurate and it is a 1/12 twist.  Never hiccups.  Awaiting the 180B, which is on hold right now by ArmaLite, due to a vendor substituting sub par material in a cam pin guide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top