BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2007 5:31:57 PM EDT
I started at 225 pounds , I lost 10 pounds easily but now for the past 3 weeks
I have stayed at 215.

I am thinkig of ordering the NutriSystem food plan.

Has anyone ever tried this?
It's $355.00 for 28 days.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
3 weeks is hardly a try.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
What have you been doing/trying to lose weight?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Do something and sweat your ass off. Burn more calories then you take in. Increase your metabolism.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Just give up....
Have you tried.......

Smaller portions
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
3 weeks is hardly a try.

It's more like 5 weeks , but the last 3weeks I can't lose a pound.

and doing everything the same.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I am on Weight Watchers.  Or I was.  $165 for 16 wks I think.  I lost 52 pounds during the 16 wks.  I am still trying to stick to the plan.  It is pretty easy, and I have already changed alot of my bad habits. It truely takes a lifestyle change.  I am losing an average of 1-2 lbs per week now.  Working out 3x per week.  Hope to have lost 100 by November.

My boss was on it too and he lost 106 lbs in 32 wks.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
3 things may have happened.

You didnt cut enough calories.
You cut too many calories.
You cheat too much.

Which one?

I lost 55 lbs in about a year without killin myself.

ETA: Fuck a bunch of $355/mo
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Jogging twice a week and the gym 3 times a week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of exercise are you doing?  Are you running?  Running ought to make the pounds melt away.

You posted too quick.  How far are your typical runs?  If you can't run far you might try biking until your legs are in good enough shape.  Thats what I did.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
... It cannot just be a time-dimensional goal, it must be a lifestyle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You cheat too much.

Which one?

This is what I ate today , two pieces of chicken , two slices of cantaloupe , 2 apples 1 banana , for dinner a sirloin steak a salad and corn.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What kind of exercise are you doing?  Are you running?  Running ought to make the pounds melt away.

You posted too quick.  How far are your typical runs?  If you can't run far you might try biking until your legs are in good enough shape.  Thats what I did.

Bill3508

2 to 3 miles
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just eating right wont do it. Cardio and diet isnt enoph either. Weight training, cardio, and diet are all needed for good results in weight loss and body transformation.

I would not waste my money on expensive, useless diet products. You know whats healthy and whats not so just make the right choices. Dont forget water helps weight loss and helps you feel full so you eat less.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not remotely sufficient.

You have to cut the carbohydrates down, cut the portions down, and spread the carbs out over the day.

But, my advice is to see a nutritionist, and then follow the advice and training.  I peeled off 40 pounds last year by paying attention to what I was eating.  I also have strong motivation: fear of diabetes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Shit--I messed up my back and in the subsequent year and 3 surgeries, I've dropped 40 lbs sitting on the couch on the morphine diet. Personally, I'd rather go to the gym....
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes.  Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
How old are you?  I've found with age it becomes more difficult to keep weight off(DUH).
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cheat too much.

Which one?

This is what I ate today , two pieces of chicken , two slices of cantaloupe , 2 apples 1 banana , for dinner a sirloin steak a salad and corn.

See man, you're lookin at roughly 1500 calories depending on portion size, salad dressing, the way the chicken was cooked ect.

If you have extra weight to lose, I am assuming you are over 200lbs?

With a man that size, exercising 3-4 times a week, I would suggest at least 2000 cals a day.

If you WERE eating 5000, maybe only cut to 4000.
If you cut too far, your body will freak out and start storing calories.

Whatcha weigh right now?
How much do you wanna weigh?

ETA: Thats 2000 spread over 5 even sized meal a day, BTW.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
join the nearest boxing gym.

your ass will be fit in 30 days
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

and DO NOT DO THAT VERY LOW CALORIE DIET!!!

Those things will KILL your metabolism. When you stop you'll pack on fat faster than ever because

1) Your metabolism slowed way down as you basically starved yourself on the diet
and
2) A large % of the weight you lost on the very low cal diet will have been muscle, so now you have less muscle burning energy. A few months after you quit eating their prepackaged crap you'll be  right back up to where you started, except you'll be more fat and less muscle at the same weight. It will suck.

Suggest looking into something called the "anabolic diet". Read here for more info than you need:
http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=658379

Go slow, just make a change that you can stick to for life, not some expensive prepackaged stuff, and let it adjust your weight slowly over time. It's the safest way to do it and the only one that will stick.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How old are you?  I've found with age it becomes more difficult to keep weight off(DUH).

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cheat too much.

Which one?

Ditch the banana and corn... high in carbs, very high.

i lost 11 lbs in 12 days by working double shifts, running with a 35lbs ruck 3xs a week and eating only fat and SMALL amounts of carbs.

Sweat is the key, vomit is the key. If you are not sweating like a pig and didnt puke at least once everytime you work out.... your not trying hard enough.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill3508

2 to 3 miles

I might change that some and try doing like 1 mile or so 4 times a week.  Even late at night, which right now is close to the only way unless you get up early.  Definately cut back on carbs and drink lots of water.  No gatorade or powerade or anyting like that.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#24]
figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, lower that by 250 or however much weight you want to lose per week, 1-2 pounds is the safest. Workout to burn more calories. Eat smaller meals every 3 hours or so to keep metabolism flowing well, make sure to eat healthy carbs and protein, and also good fats. drink lots of water (like a gallon a day)

try to incorporate some strength training.

commit to it to change your way of eating/training for the rest of your life. do not think of it as a diet where you will lose weight and think you can go back to eating shitty.

good luck (i'm in the middle of working hard myself, its not easy at first but you will get used to it)
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the tips guys.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been on the Atkin's Diet... I was at 255, I'm down to 225 in only 4 weeks or so. I have another 15 (or preferably more) to lose before I can enlist in the Marines.

Eat more meals a day, but smaller portions. Try to eat only what you can fit in your hand (or a little more, I have big hands ). Probably 6 or more meals a day, but at smaller portions and you should be good to go.

Stay away from carbs and sugars. Stay strictly to proteins. Then after about 2 weeks or so, gradually start to put a little bit of carbs in. Not a whole lot, but a little.

ETA: Remember, diet and exercise go hand in hand. If you're looking to lose weight, then stick to cardio until you're down to your desired weight, and then start putting on muscle. If you try to lift weights, but lose weight at the same time, it's pretty much going to be a stale-mate.

Cardio's the key, along with the diet. If your body has become tolerant or adjusted to your eating and workout routines, then you need to mix it up. "Shock" your body so it won't get use to your eating and exercise routines.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#27]
how big is that sirloin steak?
A single portion of beef, chicken, pork is the size of a deck of cards.
Most people eat way more than that.
How is the steak and chicken prepped.
What kind of dressing on the salad, butter on the corn?
Regular dressing can turn a salad into 1200 calories
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cheat too much.

Which one?

See man, you're lookin at roughly 1500 calories depending on portion size, salad dressing, the way the chicken was cooked ect.

With a man that size, exercising 3-4 times a week, I would suggest at least 2000 cals a day.

Whatcha weigh right now?

+1.

And you need to spread the food out. You should be eating 4-6 times per day. 2-300 calories, or maybe more, depending on how much you eat now to mantain your weight. You don't want to cut more than 1-1.5 pounds worth per week from your diet, if you want to do this healthy. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, BTW.

Get up, have some water, eat about 100 cals, go walking/jogging. Eat about 200 more cals when you get back and settle down a little. Snag a multivitamin with this if you think you might not be getting enough. Then eat 2-300 cals (or a bit more, depending on daily totals) every two to three hours, as you get hungry, throughout the day. No food the hour before bed if you can help it. Kill the water like you were dying of thirst. If you're not pissing near to clear every 30-45 minutes, you're not getting enough. You stand to drop several pounds of water weight alone just by  hydrating yourself properly. (Your body retains water when you don't get enough.)

You'll be surprised just how damned hungry you get on a regular basis, and how quickly you start burning away excess calories by doing this. This is because you're getting your metabolism working.

Also, be careful of cardio exercise. Cardio is great for the heart, but not so great for losing a lot of weight. You want to stay just below the cardio range, as burning fat is an aerobic process. When you get to where you're no longer taking in enough air to burn fat, your body will begin synthesizing protein for energy. IE, breaking down muscle tissue. This is why hardcore runners are neither hugely muscular, nor fat. Their metabolism is keyed in such a way so as to preclude building either.

Also, muscle burns calories. Just by existing, much less being used. Putting on muscle is your friend, and is also the reason why you should be looking at INCHES lost, as well as POUNDS. You will not, however, put on muscle using a reduced calorie diet. You cannot build muscle from negative intake. If you're going to set aside a day per week for hardcore lifting/building, make sure you gear up for that day with surplus protein (and other food) intake, and not worry about meeting your weight loss calorie goals.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I lost 45 pounds on berzerker76's DONT EAT SO FU#$ING MUCH!!! Plan.   Its simple take everything that you like eating and look at it closely and realize that its poisoning you.  Cut out (((EVERYTHING!!))) with High Fructose Corn Syrup; barbecue sauce, Ranch Dressing, cokes, cookies, pizza, hamburgers, fries, hot dogs.   Eat more salad with vinegar dressing, mushrooms, carrots, beans(rinsed), fruit.  eat 2 healthy snacks between your 3 main meals a day to keep your metabolism up.  try to not go more than three hours without eating something healthy.   Drink Water, lots and lots of water.
And run!!!!! run like the wind a couple times a week.... No bulking up just run

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#30]
BTW, my post on why the super low cal diets are a bad idea is because I did exactly that.

Started over weight, lost like 60 lbs on nutrisystem, stopped eating the replacement meals, put it right back on, and felt worse than I started it. I feel like a broken down old man at 30. So I've been reading about this crap for a few weeks now and that diet outlined on the link I gave is the one that seems most doable to me and was suggested to me by a weightlifter friend of mine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cheat too much.

Which one?

Whatcha weigh right now?

ETA: Thats 2000 spread over 5 even sized meal a day, BTW.

Right now I'm 215 pounds , I would like to get to 185 .

Thats is the weight I always felt the most comfortable

I was doing this with eating only twice a day, I will spread it out more.

What about the powerbars I see for sale ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cheat too much.

Which one?

Whatcha weigh right now?

+1.

And you need to spread the food out. You should be eating 4-6 times per day. 2-300 calories, or maybe more, depending on how much you eat now to mantain your weight. You don't want to cut more than 1-1.5 pounds worth per week from your diet, if you want to do this healthy. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, BTW.

Get up, have some water, eat about 100 cals, go walking/jogging. Eat about 200 more cals when you get back and settle down a little. Snag a multivitamin with this if you think you might not be getting enough. Then eat 2-300 cals (or a bit more, depending on daily totals) every two to three hours, as you get hungry, throughout the day. No food the hour before bed if you can help it. Kill the water like you were dying of thirst. If you're not pissing near to clear every 30-45 minutes, you're not getting enough. You stand to drop several pounds of water weight alone just by  hydrating yourself properly. (Your body retains water when you don't get enough.)

You'll be surprised just how damned hungry you get on a regular basis, and how quickly you start burning away excess calories by doing this. This is because you're getting your metabolism working.

Also, be careful of cardio exercise. Cardio is great for the heart, but not so great for losing a lot of weight. You want to stay just below the cardio range, as burning fat is an aerobic process. When you get to where you're no longer taking in enough air to burn fat, your body will begin synthesizing protein for energy. IE, breaking down muscle tissue. This is why hardcore runners are neither hugely muscular, nor fat. Their metabolism is keyed in such a way so as to preclude building either.

Also, muscle burns calories. Just by existing, much less being used. Putting on muscle is your friend, and is also the reason why you should be looking at INCHES lost, as well as POUNDS. You will not, however, put on muscle using a reduced calorie diet. You cannot build muscle from negative intake. If you're going to set aside a day per week for hardcore lifting/building, make sure you gear up for that day with surplus protein (and other food) intake, and not worry about meeting your weight loss calorie goals.

Whew...

Saved me alot of typing.
Perfect.

I also suggest going to a local gym and chatting with a dietician.
They will correct alot of myths that get spread around.
Difference between good and bad carbs ect.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

throw in some swimming to this equation. also any soda or junk food, cut it.
oh, and keep up the good work. you can reach your desired weight, it just takes lots of work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Probaly still too much if you did very little moving.  go walk for 1 hour and drink 2 liters of water.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Your body hit the wall. You need to do more.

If you change your diet and eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal every morning you will loose weight, but you wont loose weight forever.

Do the following.

1. Dont eat more than 1 cup of oatmeal and 2 eggs each morning.

2. Do not eat fast food more than 1 time a week, the fast food you eat can be no more than 1 value meal biggie size it, do whatever you want.

3. Do not drink beer or drink carbonated beverages. Do not drink juices that contain high fructose corn syrup.

4. For dinner you grill one of the following...

Fish, Lean Beef, Steak, Chicken, or Bison

You eat two non-starch vegtables. Desert is 1 piece of fruit. (watermelon, etc) You must eat chicken with corn at least twice a week (its an amino acid thing)

That is all you eat.

5. For snacks you can have, pretzels, 1 tuna kit, un-adultered nuts, or fruit. ETA: You can also have bison, lean ground beef, or chicken for a snack. Big snacks with hearty protiens and calories your body can use. Pretzels are the only junk you will eat.

You can not eat the following: chips, more than 2 slices of bread at a time, items with high fructose corn syrup as one of the first 3 ingredients. No ice cream, anything that says little debbie on it, no biscuits cinnamon rolls, potatoes.

If you do these things you WILL loose weight. If you cheat or think that you can continue to consume the ammount of high fructose corn syrup you will fail.

A diet isnt something that you go on. A diet is something that defines the way you eat. A diet is for life, it can only be adjusted. Incorporate each of these things into your habits over the next month and you will notice a drastic change. Then you will hit another wall in 10-30 pounds and if you want to loose more you will have to take even more steps (next we cut hormones out of your diet).

You cannot live on the nutrisystems diet. It is alot of dehydrated food and too much sodium. What will you do after 1 month of nutrisystems? 10 out of 10 people go back to eating the same shit that caused them to get on the plan. You learn nothing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 weeks is hardly a try.

It's more like 5 weeks , but the last 3weeks I can't lose a pound.

and doing everything the same.

Do something different.

It is easy to say I know. (I am overweight myself)

Eat less, sweat more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

What did you drink?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Consult a Nutritionist ASAP. It will be cheaper in the long run than all that overpriced, pre-packaged crap.

You also have to realize that at some point, your weight will stop going down(or even up a hair) and your body fat will start dropping as you build muscle. When you build it to a certin point, weight starts to come off. Repeat.

It might take you a year or two to get back in shape. Keep this in mind-the faster you lose it, the faster it can come back.(most of the time) If you lose it slow but steady, it means that you are adjusting your whole lifestyle-not doing a fad diet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I know someone who did the nutri -crap and though she lost weight, she gained it all back plus some when she stopped eating that crap and she didn't bother to learn to just eat healthy and keep up with exercise.

I have been going through a similar frustration myself. I have cut my beer consumption down more than half, I always eat healthy and I have been trying to exercise at least 3 times a week and walk my dog anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes every night, I quit smoking, barely drink coffee anymore, don't eat sweets every and I always drink a ton of water and my frickn weight has not budged at all.

I used to work out 6 days a week, as I was a personal trainer at our local YMCA. For the life of me I can't get back there. I never ate meat then, lots of pasta, that worked for me. I am trying to not eat meat so much anymore which is hard cause my husband is a massive carnivore lol but reading your story and everyone's suggestions is helping me kick it up a notch too, good luck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#40]
tag for home

give up beer?  noooooooooo

how's whiskey instead?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#41]
How to loose weight:

A) wait until it is 95dF+, drink water when necessary
B) drive to home despot and buy 10 bags of manure, 5 bags of compost and 10 bags of mulch.
C) back at home pick a 15*15 foot section of yard.
D) take shovel and dig down 6 inches actoss entire 15*15 sq-ft area
E) Add manure to 1"
F) add compost to 1"
G) rake level
H) take shovel and turn manure and compost into soil
I) Cover with mulch
J) you are done for the day--take shower and rest. Take a day off and repeat.

I lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks on this "diet" -- and by the way, you can eat anything and everything you want including candy, cakes, and ice cream on this "diet".
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#42]

It works.  It's balanced.  It's healthy.

Glycemic Index.  Low carbs. Lots of SMALL meals.

Add exercise to that and you're off.

I started Phase I a bit over 2 weeks ago and dropped 10 pounds.  Phase II is easier and I expect 2-4 pounds a week on the average.

I've done Weight Watchers.  South Beach is very, very similar except that WW costs $10/week.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Keep in mind that the more weight you lose, the more you have to cut back on the food you're eating to keep losing weight.  The amount of food you eat naturally supports a certain body weight.  If you eat more, your body will put on weight until an equilibrium is reached.  If you eat less, the same happens.  When you stop losing weight, you need to eat less.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have stayed at 215.

3 weeks is nothing.

The bottom line is this: If you burn more calories than you take in, it is physically impossible for you to do anything *but* lose weight.

The key is more activity and exercise and a proper diet, not fad diets.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#45]
As told to me by a dietician:  Always eat breakfast.  Start your metabolism.  Your system will try to conserve calories, starve, if you do not start the day right.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you doing trying to loose weight, you should be out picking out your tombstone and casket. Just Kidding

Try running 4 times a week and quit drinking beer.  Even the low carb beer will pack on the weight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
and didnt puke at least once everytime you work out.... your not trying hard enough.

You are bringing back memories....

Stairs, always running the fucking stairs got me to puke.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probaly still too much if you did very little moving.  go walk for 1 hour and drink 2 liters of water.

Wow.

Maybe you don't realize that a lot of overweight people 200lbs plus are going to have a basal metabolism of 3-5000 calories per day? That's their basal metabolism. What their body consumes in an average day just to stay alive. For a lot of out of shape people, the bulk of that day consists of sitting on their ass.

That's 3-5000 calories just to maintain their current size doing NOTHING.

The 12-1300 calories he has listed very likely has shut his metabolism of

We have no idea in the world what his portion sizes were.

Chicken breast x 2  = 500 calories
2 apples = 130 calories
1 bannana  = 200 calories
1 steak = 500 calories
1 salad and corn = wtf knows? Could be another 500 calories for all I know.
All the things he ate that he didn't list: Could be up to another 500 calories.
All the things he drank that he didn't list (milk? soda? juice?): Could be another 500 calories, unless the OP drank nothing but water all day.

Total almost 3000 calories on a "diet".  I've dealt with a lot of people trying to lose weight, and so far 0% of them have been able to give me a correct "what I ate today" list on the first try.  The ones who say they have a salad for lunch but the back of their car is filled with McDonald's wrappers are the worst, otherwise most people don't realize snacks count.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The bottom line is this: If you burn more calories than you take in, it is physically impossible for you to do anything *but* lose weight.

How do you explain all the fat people in concentration camps??
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I have stayed at 215.

Diet is a portion of it.  What do you do for exercise? Bicycling is a fun and a good start. Jogging/running is an acquired taste.  As a former track guy, i'm still trying to get used to it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top