Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2001 11:21:12 AM EDT
Ever think it's sad what America values the most? I'm talking about 250 million for a guy who can smack a baseball, or 186 million for a guy who can dunk a basketball. 20 million for a guy who acts in a lousy movie, or 500,000 an episode for a totally talentless sitcom.

To me, it reaks of softness and weak priorities. I know, I know, it's just the way things are here. And I also realize I am pointing out the obvious. I just think that these overpaid periferal distractions are not what makes out country great, not even close. It couldn't be more clear what the over commercialization of our country has created. A class of people, who without any worldclass talent make more money than many who work 10 times as hard, and actually contribute to our nations greater good.

Believe me, I'm a major sports fan and I have my favorite teams and athletes like most of you. There's plenty of great actors too, I just think that when someone who does so little, and gets paid so much, shows a somewhat sad set of priorities.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What does America value the most? Sad to say that it's Money-Money and more Money. Remember the golden rule!
Those with the gold make the rules. [:|]
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
M4 wrote...What do you think?

I think you are 100% correct.  I also know a large group of us like firearms a lot more than baseball and basketball.

Kinda sad if you ask me.  People today have very simple minds.  They sit and rot in front of the idiot on TV making 1,000,000 a game for what?

Link Posted: 1/22/2001 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It's worse than that. What do most of these overpaid, spoiled, "professional" people do with the money? They buy drugs and hire people to shoot their pregnant girlfriends to avoid paying child support!
I put value on those who help others, and who live decent moral lives, regardless of their incomes. I surely don't make that kind of money, but I know I'm a better person than most of those so called "professionals".
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it's just Americans or just today.  I think it happens to all societies once they achieve a certain level of "civilazation".  There are all those people who parralel the US with Rome, and it's hard not to see it as true.  Once you are no longer trying to eek out an existence, and have idle time, you have to do something.  If there isn't something for the mindless mob to do, then the mob gets restless and that's not good for those in charge.  

Wars are great to distract the mob, but they cost alot, and the mob loses interest in them quickly unless they truly preceive a danger to themselves.  The other option are games, like the gladiators, or sports, etc. today.  That holds peoples' interest for much longer, and it costs less.  The invention of the TV is a godsend for mob control.  Now the mob has something to occupy it's time, and those in charge can deliver their message as the mob watches it.  The ultimate in control.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Total agreement from me M4. It's a shame.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that people today's prorities are all screwed up. As far as the overpaid athletes, that is no one's fault but the fans. If no one watched it or went to it, it would plunge. But as long as everyone is sports crazy, buys the products, pays ridiculous prices for tickets, etc., it will only get worse. I can honestly say that I dont watch ANY ball games, read Sports section, or watch any sports programs. I could not even tell you who is in the Super Bowl. It just doesnt excite me any in the least, I'm sorry, it never has. I would much rather spend a day at the range than a day at any football game, I dont care if it is a national championship w/seats on the 50 yard line.

Link Posted: 1/22/2001 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What does a teacher who has a daily influence on our children make?  How does that compare to a sports hero?

Name the MVP from the 1973 superbowl.  Name a teacher that made an impression on you.  Which is easier to remember?
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I've all but given up on football and baseball.  Never did care for basketball.   College athletes are getting as bad as the pros and because there is so much money involved, they're getting away with more and more.  I keep my nine-year-old so busy, with hunting, shooting, fishing and Taekwondo he doesn't have time to pick a sports "hero."  Televised sports, excluding NASCAR :) could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't miss 'em.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
What does a teacher who has a daily influence on our children make?  How does that compare to a sports hero?

Name the MVP from the 1973 superbowl.  Name a teacher that made an impression on you.  Which is easier to remember?
View Quote

DAMN good point!! It couldn't have been better stated. You just got me to thinking about my HS history teacher. Great man, rest his soul. When he passed, the entire alumni was at his funeral.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were up to me, I'd give the BIG money to the paramedic that brings me back to life. Or the history teacher who had a class that was so interesting, I couldn't wait to go and was aggrivated at the bell ringing at the end. I'd give the BIG money to the victims of corporate Americas bottom line when calculating "expected loses" and releasing a faulty tire. And no, spilling hot coffee all over yourself wouldn't get you 2.8 million dollars....it wouldn't get you a nickle.

You know, about 10 years ago the Texas Rangers ENTIRE franchise was sold for $250,000,000.00. That's now what Alex Rodriguez is getting paid as their shortstop in 2001.
Believe me, I don't expect things to change, but after such constant bombardment and total saturation of this glutiny, don't hold it against me for feeling a little sick every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
M4, You are absolutely right! Mistaken1, believe it or not, I remember Mrs. Bishop, my 10th grade Civics teacher. She's the only one who didn't bore the sh*t out of me. As the saying goes, I got wiser with age (I hope). Now, F*ck pro or college sports, I want to see what's on TLC, DISCOVERY, A&E, or my personal favorite, The HISTORY Channel. Now THAT'S entertainment!
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It goes back to supply and demand.  I am (or was) a volunteer EMT.  The paramedics who I worked with were pulling in about $25,000 per year.

The paramedic who saves your life is "worth" more 20 Michael Jordons combined.  

Unfortunantly it is a buyers market for paramedics but a sellers market for basketball stars.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Let's open season on lawyers and maybe things will change.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I sort of agree with M4, except in the case of certain athletes. For instance, considering the risks many of those foolball players take, they are probably making a fair salary. Say you start in HS, play in college and get drafted into the NFL. You play for a few years and you're just starting to make some good money. Your entire life is devoted to the sport -- it's all you know. All it takes is one major injury and you're out of the game for good. Most of us will never make the big bucks like those guys do, but we don't take the same risks either. As we age, we generally make more money. As they age, they make less (unless they're superstars). As long as the market can bear it, what the hell?

mattja
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I sort of agree with M4, except in the case of certain athletes. For instance, considering the risks many of those foolball players take, they are probably making a fair salary. Say you start in HS, play in college and get drafted into the NFL. You play for a few years and you're just starting to make some good money. Your entire life is devoted to the sport -- it's all you know. All it takes is one major injury and you're out of the game for good. Most of us will never make the big bucks like those guys do, but we don't take the same risks either. As we age, we generally make more money. As they age, they make less (unless they're superstars). As long as the market can bear it, what the hell?

mattja
View Quote

My point is that they're taking those risks only for themselves. There are a ton of other people who sacrifice and take risks that help us all, and they don't make squat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Too bad it's not freedom.Have a lot of immigrants from all parts of the globe working under me.As their boss like to find out a little about them.When asked why they chose to come to America,they all say freedom.Some of the crap these people went through in their home country would flabbergast you.Most Americans don't have a clue how well off they really are.Everything is taken for granted and prioraties are all screwed up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 2:40:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Well said M4, most of us could take 1-2 million bucks and live pretty good for the rest of our lives and then you see some MF on TV complaining he only makes 10 mil a year.  That pisses me off.

[pissed]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't knock money.  Money buys health, security and education for your family.  True, it can't buy morals, but what should the alternative be?  Would you prefer that the government provide you with all of life's neccessities?  Not me.  Making and exchanging legal tender for goods and services is what keeps us free.

With Pro sports, the money is being made.  The question is: How do you divide it up?  Should the players all make about a half-mil a year, and the owners a Billion?  The average Pro-football career is only about 4 years long.  Most of these retirees are disabled.

Sports figures don't "need" to make 100 Million, just like you don't "need" to own an Ar-15.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Who don't need an AR-15? The way this country is going, A good rifle is the one thing I will ALWAYS have.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Money of course! People in this country sell their souls for it! I work with Juveniles who sold and are addicted to drugs at a delinquent facility , and everytime i ask a new group it's the same story "easy money, you get addicted to the money more than anything else!".It becomes worth more than the lives of other people!look at all the people who would sold out their heritage and beliefs to vote for al Gore just because there was a good economy,and their wallets were full!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top