Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/2/2007 2:59:57 PM EDT
I couldn't be happier. Wow! What a deal.

$675 from CDNN. Ask for Jerry. He said that he would pick me out a nice one, and boy did he.

Note: My P7 came in factory box with cleaning brush, trigger lock, manual and one magazine.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a noob at H&K weaponology but is this one of those pistols that you have to pull a latch at the bottom of the magazine well to release the mag?

ETA: Looks sexy. Nice find.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, she's a beauty!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quick question - other than nostalgia, is there a reason why I should buy this weapon?

It's an incredibly reliable, well made, & well designed handgun that is unique in how it functions. It is also extremely compact and slim for a 9mm handgun that holds 8+1. It has one of the best triggers of any semi-auto pistol and it's very accurate due to it's fixed barrel design. At $675 it's a steal, considering that they sold for around $1500 when HK stopped production in 2005. The only real negative is the frame tends to heat up quickly when fired rapidly due to it's gas locking mechanism design. Also, the European mag release may not be desirable in a combat handgun, but at less than 1/2 the price of the P7 M8, I can live with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's an incredibly reliable, well made, & well designed handgun that is unique in how it functions. It is also extremely compact and slim for a 9mm handgun that holds 8+1. It has one of the best triggers of any semi-auto pistol and it's very accurate due to it's fixed barrel design. At $675 it's a steal, considering that they sold for around $1500 when HK stopped production in 2005. The only real negative is the frame tends to heat up quickly when fired rapidly due to it's gas locking mechanism design. Also, the European mag release may not be desirable in a combat handgun, but at less than 1/2 the price of the P7 M8, I can live with it.

Thanks...I will have to look in to it. I don't mind the Euro mag release or the no drop free mags thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you tell MR. TEKAGY that you were going to count to 3 and that there would not be a 4?  

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks...I will have to look in to it. I don't mind the Euro mag release or the no drop free mags thing.

BTW, they have Grade B which I think at about $589 $599. All come in the factory box with the manual and gas chamber cleaning brush. You can purchase up to two spare mags with each gun ($39 each).
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, they have Grade B which I think it about $599. All come in the factory box with the manual and no gas chamber cleaning brush. You can purchase up to two spare mags with each gun ($39 each).

At least, in my experience. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, they have Grade B which I think it about $599. All come in the factory box with the manual and no gas chamber cleaning brush. You can purchase up to two spare mags with each gun ($39 each).

At least, in my experience. YMMV

Mine came with a trigger lock also. The cleaning bush is new and encased in a tube. Did you get an A or B grade? Maybe only the A grades come with the brush??
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh.  I bought an brand spanky new P7M13 back in the early '90s for about the same price.  It even came with 3-13 round magazines.

I ran each mag twice, cleaned it up, and threw it in the back of the safe.  

I wonder what it's worth today?
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got my Grade B from CDNN today, awesome

And to the 87GN dude,

Why are you comparing a 380 auto subcompact against a 9mm compact weapon that has one of the most ingenious cocking systems ever created?
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I was just finger-fucking mine.... I'm glad I got it, and I hope there will still be some around in 6-8 months, when I might be able to afford another one.

They'd make good carry guns.  They're not uber light, and they're really not TOO thin.  Maybe a hair thinner than a Glock 19.  However, they'd conceal well.  They are STUPID accurate.  With the squeeze cocking mechanism, it can be operated ambidextrously.  Reputation has them being VERY reliable, as well.  

I'd recommend getting one, even if you sit on it for years... once they dry up, they will go up in price!
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]
At the rate they are going, they wil not last long.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Apples to oranges.

I yield to your obviously superior firearms knowledge, master.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
At the rate they are going, they wil not last long.  

Realistically, does anyone have a guess at a time frame for these drying up? More importantly, will Grade A's still be available in 2-3 months?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 3:47:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice looking P7 Strat , wish I would have bought one when they came out.

Thank you Sir.

It's not too late. CDNN Sports has about 300 grade A's and 1000 Grade B's left. You have to call, they do not list them on their webpage.

800-588-9500

www.cdnninvestments.com/
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Meh.  I bought an brand spanky new P7M13 back in the early '90s for about the same price.  It even came with 3-13 round magazines.

I ran each mag twice, cleaned it up, and threw it in the back of the safe.  

If it's mint, $2000 for a blued and $2500 for factory nickel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Jebus!

I can come up with about 5 solid reasons not to buy one of those, not the least of which is the fact that it would represent most of my rent $$$.

Yet I am almost completely unable to resist!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Jebus!

I can come up with about 5 solid reasons not to buy one of those, not the least of which is the fact that it would represent most of my rent $$$.

Yet I am almost completely unable to resist!!!

In terms of value, I just don't think there is a better firearm deal out there right now. Plus, I think you'll save on the sales tax if your not in Texas.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apples to oranges.

I yield to your obviously superior firearms knowledge, master.

ahahaha
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]
If you keep shooting it long enough your hands will get so burnt they stop hurting because you cant feel it anymore. Then you can shoot all you want for the rest of the day! :D
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quick question - other than nostalgia, is there a reason why I should buy this weapon?

Nostalgia is probably the wrong term.....

Novelty is probably more appropriate.

The P7 series of weapons was one of the most innovative handguns ever designed. They were expensive and thusly didn't find their way into many US police agency holsters, but the organizations that did use them were very happy with them.

The New Jersey State Police issued the P7 weapons for quite some time and seemed very happy with them.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:50:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Are you kidding?  

Only because it's considered to be the finest and most accurate 9mm on the planet.

Shoot one and you'll get one.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ETA:  don't the P7's usually run in the $1200+ range?

P7M8s and P7M13s do.

The PSPs and P7s are much cheaper primarily because the ones you find in the US are retired German police weapons.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm sorely tempted with this.

It's especially bad that I'm saving for a high-end 1911, and don't have enough money for that yet, but enough to purchase one of these. I can feel it burning a hole in my pocket as I sit here.

The temptation is indeed quite strong. I've always wanted a P7 series pistol. I would prefer a P7M8, but a standard P7 is good too.

I just have this thing for unique firearms and these are some of the most unique handguns ever produced.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There are a number of people who will give you a testicle for it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

On top of what others posted, the squeeze cocking design allows you to carry locked and loaded.  When you draw the pistol and tighten your grip, the striker cocks and makes the pistol ready to fire.  The trigger is a light and crisp single action.  Release your grip, and the weapon decocks and is rendered safe.  The trigger is disconnected and cannot fire the pistol.

The chamber is fluted for reliable extraction.  The 4" barrel sits low on the hand and as a result the recoil is easily managed.

I haven't gotten used to the Euro mag release yet, but it's actually not too bad.  After prolonged shooting it gets hot like others have stated, but these are among the few drawbacks of the PSP.

Time is running out, if you're on the fence now, I'd jump in.  If you don't like it, you could always sell it later when the supply dwindles and the demand jumps.  You'd easily get your money back.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a noob at H&K weaponology but is this one of those pistols that you have to pull a latch at the bottom of the magazine well to release the mag?

Yes...this particular P7 model (PSP) has a European magazine release. These are German Police trade-ins, traded into HK, and then imported by HK. The P7 M8 has the Browning style mag release, but those sell for around $1400+.

Just out of curiosity, did the German Police switch to something else, or just newer P7's?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]
One note about the P7 PSP mag release; It's not a typical European mag release where the mag release hooks over the bottom of the mag floor-plate and the button must be pushed away from the mag floor-plate. With the P7, you squeeze the mag release button toward the magazine. By placing the index finger over the front lip on the mag floor-plate and then squeezing the mag release toward the mag with your thumb, results in a natural 1-step motion that doesn't require any fumbling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes...this particular P7 model (PSP) has a European magazine release. These are German Police trade-ins, traded into HK, and then imported by HK. The P7 M8 has the Browning style mag release, but those sell for around $1400+.

Just out of curiosity, did the German Police switch to something else, or just newer P7's?

Carl Walther GmBH of Germany has secured a contract to supply P99 DAO pistols to the Nordrhein-Westfalen German Police force. The contract for 41,000 pistols, valued at $16 million, represents the largest order to date for Walther's P99 DAO 9mm.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I know which one I would want...

Thanks for the heads up and a big +1 for Jerry

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#32]
How do you perform a silent decock?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How do you perform a silent decock?

Pull the slide back about 1/2 inch, and then slowly release the grip, then slowly lower the slide. It's not silent but it's much quieter than just releasing the grip.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Any consensus on the best ammo (Personal defense) for this? something like 147 Speer GD's?

Did I read somewhere that +P is a no-no for this model?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought a bunch of Federal Tactical HST 147 gr ammo.  It pentrates more than the +P+ stuff does anyways.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I really want one, but Massachusetts will not allow it.

In a few more years I will be out of this hell-on-earth.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice gun at a very nice price.  Congrats on the find.

-MEI
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Any consensus on the best ammo (Personal defense) for this? something like 147 Speer GD's?

I use 147 grain Gold Dots or 147 gr Winchester Ranger SXT.

HK doesn't recommend +P ammo.  I think it has more to do with the fluted chamber than anything else as these pistols are over-engineered and durable.

ETA: I'm not an expert by any means though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I really want one, but Massachusetts will not allow it.

In a few more years I will be out of this hell-on-earth.

Really? I thought you could get a permit to purchase a handgun in Mass.?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The manual makes these three notes on ammo:

1. Do not use non-jacketed lead bullets because it may foul the gas chamber (jacketed hollow-points are noted to be OK).
2. Do not use bullets weighing less than 100 grains
3. Do no use ammo specifically loaded for sub machineguns (no mention of +P being allowed or not*).

*Is +P the same as sub machinegun ammo?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On top of what others posted, the squeeze cocking design allows you to carry locked and loaded.  When you draw the pistol and tighten your grip, the striker cocks and makes the pistol ready to fire.  The trigger is a light and crisp single action.  Release your grip, and the weapon decocks and is rendered safe.  The trigger is disconnected and cannot fire the pistol.

The chamber is fluted for reliable extraction.  The 4" barrel sits low on the hand and as a result the recoil is easily managed.

I haven't gotten used to the Euro mag release yet, but it's actually not too bad.  After prolonged shooting it gets hot like others have stated, but these are among the few drawbacks of the PSP.

Time is running out, if you're on the fence now, I'd jump in.  If you don't like it, you could always sell it later when the supply dwindles and the demand jumps.  You'd easily get your money back.

I remember an article in a gun magazine about 20 years ago.  They made a couple safety PSA's regarding the squeeze cocker.

1)  If you have the trigger pulled and the cocking lever isn't squeezed=no bang
    If you keep the trigger pulled and then squeeze the lever=bang.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The manual makes these three notes on ammo:

1. Do not use non-jacketed lead bullets because it may foul the gas chamber (jacketed hollow-points are noted to be OK).
2. Do not use bullets weighing less than 100 grains
3. Do no use ammo specifically loaded for sub machineguns (no mention of +P being allowed or not*).

*Is +P the same as sub machinegun ammo?

Yes, generally the +P stuff is for subguns.

Here is the ruling right from HK regarding +P and P7s.

"For the P7M8/M13 the maximum is 147grain. We do not recommend the use of +p ammo in the P7 Pistols."

I pulled out a case of IMI "9mm H.V. Carbine 115FMJ" ammo that I bought 20 years ago and have never fired a round. It says right on the every box; "FOR USE IN CARBINES AND SUBMACHINE GUNS ONLY. NOT FOR USE IN PISTOLS".  These rounds are all marked with a black tip to signify for submachine gun use only.

Here's a warning from the BATF on some 9mm sub machinegun ammo that might be encountered. Based on this and the above IMI warning, I would say that 9mm "submachine gun" ammo would likely be loaded hotter than 9mm +P ammo.

9 X 19 MM Warning

Austrian ammunition maker Hirtenberger AG has put the word out concerning a quantity of its 9x19 mm ammunition that is "unique for use in any handgun." According to a November 7 BATF Industry News release. "The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns...This ammunition should not be fired." The ammunition was produced for the British Ministry of Defense from 1990 through 1992 for use in submachine guns "under adverse conditions" [likely extreme cold] and carries the "L7A1" designation. While BATF is unaware of this ammunition being imported into the U.S., the maker advises that up to 12 million rounds were sold recently on the world surplus market.

The ammunition covered by this warning can be identified by the following headstamps:

12 o’clock position: HP

3 o’clock position: 90, 91, or 92

6 o’clock position: L7A1

9 o’clock position: a cross within a circle

For additional information contact BATF at (202) 927-8320.

Source: BATF Bulletin, November 7, 1996

American Rifleman, January 1997; page 6

IAA Journal, Jan./Feb. 1997; page 4
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the heads up, placed an order for one grade A and one grade B. Also order an extra mag for each.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Goddamnit fucker I didnt need to buy another gun this month.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Waiting on my Grade B. Will give a review when it gets here hopefully next week.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Goddamnit fucker I didnt need to buy another gun this month.

Oh, is that why you IM'd be about this then? To pass on poverty?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I just got back home from finger-fucking one of these at the Gun Gallery in Jacksonville. I must admit, it feels good. I can see why they are prized. I don't think I'd ever CCW one, but I'm seriously thinking about buying a couple to stick in the back of the safe for years down the road. Might be nice to have.

I'd like to hear more about the possibility of attaining replacement parts, if necessary. I've read on the H&KPro forum that these guns have some "problem" parts that require replacement somewhat regularly. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I find it hard to believe, but I have to ask.

20 years with one of mine and never needed to replace anything.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I just got back home from finger-fucking one of these at the Gun Gallery in Jacksonville. I must admit, it feels good. I can see why they are prized. I don't think I'd ever CCW one, but I'm seriously thinking about buying a couple to stick in the back of the safe for years down the road. Might be nice to have.

I'd like to hear more about the possibility of attaining replacement parts, if necessary. I've read on the H&KPro forum that these guns have some "problem" parts that require replacement somewhat regularly. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I find it hard to believe, but I have to ask.

What are the "problem" parts?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top