Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2001 1:03:44 PM EDT
I just got a summons for jury duty at the house I use to live in. The thing is that I have since moved from that old address to a new address in a different county. So does that make for an excuse to not have to go?

I dont know much about the laws for this so any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You are excused from the old location. You usually have to send the form back with reasons why you can not serve. You will likely get a notice from your new location.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to get all misty on ya, but...

Seems to me serving jury duty is a REAL way you could fight the terrorists.

Remember, what makes US better than them, in a measurable way, is our legal system. Rule of law, and all that crap.

By serving jury duty, you actually help ensure our system goes on just like before those freaks attacked us.

Not meanin' to preach, just think about it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Make that call!

I know a lot of people hate jury duty, but I found it absolutely fascinating.

If you get the chance to serve, take it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Make that call!

I know a lot of people hate jury duty, but I found it absolutely fascinating.

If you get the chance to serve, take it.
View Quote

I agree. I could have gotten out easy but i wanted to do it. Use it learn how our government works.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
OT: I served on jury once, and we convicted a cracked dealer, and put him away for life. It was his 3rd strike.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
God bless America where you have the opportunity to be judged by you peers, rather then be stoned to death by someone in the ruling government for some infraction without a trial.
Serve if you can. It's a duty, honor, and privilege.
SK
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
 Come on man , do your duty .
My wife got her summons lat week . I convinced her to go . It is the right thing to do .
 We love all the advantages of living on our great society but seems like we don't want to put up with the responsibilities that go along with it .
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Four easy, no-nonsense words:
"I hate colored people".  Then you walk on home.
Nobody in their right mind would have a damned bigot in the jury.

On second thought, seeing as how you're sexual "chocolate", you might want to substitute another racial term where applicable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell 'em you'd make a terrific juror 'cause you can spot guilty people just like that.

George Carlin
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, you have to go and do your civic duty.  If you don't want to participate, go there and act like an idiot, they will excuse you early.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
"[b]Ask about jury nullification[/b]"

Instant ticket home and they won't think your a racist. Personally though I agree w/ all who say "Do your duty"

Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Mr Wilson, you are exactly correct.  SC think about all the people you've seen on juries. Maybe you never have, but Im at the Courthouse weekly at least, sometimes daily. (Actually at about 12 in a 4 county area,  but they are all the same. Rural only slightly better). Most juries poorly reflect the juror pool.

There are good juries, but Im sorry to say that a good many are not. Primarily because decent, intelligent, hard working people are selfish and see it as a chore to avoid. It is a duty to relish, as many have said.

You probably have a valid reason to avoid serving, just inform the court. Actually, you may be ineligible if you no longer reside in that court's jurisdiction. If you dont want to serve in general, would be easier if you didnt vote. Most jurisdictions pull jurors from the registered voter pool.

Luck
Alac
Poor laws weaken those necessary.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I got my first jury call 4 months after I turned 18. As for them pulling my name from regestering to vote, I didn't register to vote untill 19. Guess I'm just lucky.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Must be one of those jurisdictions that pull from tax records or other sources. Most pull from voter registrations as they are (supposedly) vetted. Less cost involved if you know addresses are valid.

If anyone thinks jury duty is inconvenient, ask a reservist/national guard member how they are doing. I can give a week.

Luck
Alac

MOLON LABE
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always had a kind of conflict on this.  If I find myself in court, being tried by a jury of my "peers", how can they be my peers if they are not smart enough to get out of jury duty?

But seriously, think about it.  If you ever find youself on the wrong side of the jury rail, don't you want someone like YOU on the panel?

Tell them that you've moved and are happy to serve in your new home county.

I actually got called when I was in US Navy boot camp.  I would have, at that time, been very happy to go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If anyone thinks jury duty is inconvenient, ask a reservist/national guard member how they are doing. I can give a week.

View Quote

AMEN!!!
BTW, even though you probably don't have to go this time, check out [url]www.fija.org[/url]
Juries are the LAST bastion of freedom in this country!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"[b]Ask about jury nullification[/b]"

Instant ticket home and they won't think your a racist. Personally though I agree w/ all who say "Do your duty"

Mike
View Quote

[url]http://www.fija.org/torf.pdf[/url]
Here's the basic FIJA brochure.  If you decide to serve, read it to learn about your rights and responsibilities as a juror.  If you don't want to serve, print it out, take it to court, and wave it at the judge -- he'll throw your ass out of his court so fast it'll make your head spin.

Either way, join and contribute -- help to spread the message.
[url]http://www.fija.org/torf.pdf[/url]
[url]http://www.fija.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends if its for local or Federal. Last time I served it was for 2 months in Federal. Got to see some real scumbags...helped put some people in Federal Prison where they belong too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
say you are biased
View Quote

Yup, it's the only way to fly.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Go. Do your duty. Convict (unless it's the rare case of a person exercising his/her second amendment right in a legitimate way getting railroaded, in which case, acquit)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top