Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2001 8:05:24 AM EDT
Am trying to find some links to buy a flash suppressor for my Colt AR-15, I promis to wait a couple of days and read repies before I rush out and buy one. Not like I did with the AR, 9 hours and 16 minutes, as I was reminded of, just had to have one NOW! and they seem to be moving very fast these days! But I am a very happy fello with my purchase! Just ordered an OKO and forward mount, thank's again, Norm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, Bushmaster would be your best bet, although there are a LOT of places that sell flash suppressors. Check out the links on the INFORMATION tab on the top of your screen.

Hope that this helps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#2]
DUH...

BTW, congrats on your new purchase! [beer]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to jump to an assumption here, and presume you got a post-ban AR. If so you do not want to buy a "flash suppressor" because that would be naughty.

If that is what you have, then give Wilson Combat a look. They sell a "muzzle brake" that looks just like an M-16 birdcage "flash suppressor" but is not. They have a letter from the BATF that says "yes, this is a muzzle brake, not a flash suppressor".

If you want to skate around the letter of the law Kurts Kustom has a muzzle brake that looks the same, but he does not have the same blessings note from the Federales.

And yes, Bushmaster has some other options, but they are loud (the AK brake) or ugly (Y-comp).

I like the look of my Bushmaster M4gery with the Wilson Combat brake.

madkiwi
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Good point, MadKiwi.  Wilson has the approval letter while Kurt (as well as GSE) apparently does not.  I got my first AR with a Wilson brake for that very reason.    

Is this BATF approval letter a "nice to have" or a "must have?"   I'm going to assume the other brkaes meet the specs for brakes and not flash supprossors.  Are they legal without their own letter?

Inquiring minds want to know.    
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm learning fast, but still dumb in a lot of areas. My AR is a new post ban, I don"t like what I here about brakes because of the noise factor, so Wilson has one that does'nt make it louder, but is legal? Just like the look, don't want the extra noise, thanks again, Norm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Flash suppressors on post bans are illegal.
Besides they can't even be attcahed to post
ban barrels.

If you have to have one get a pre-ban.
Math is simple spend around $500 more for
pre-ban or $200,000 PLUS 10 years in the
Federal Pen. being a love toy for some gay
felon named Bubba for making a illegal assualt
weapon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, am looking into a brake from Wilson, at the range have to wear ear protection anyway. See, you guys are teaching me. Thats why I'm asking, no Bubba's for me, dick's are for chick's Thank's for the info! Norm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm learning fast, but still dumb in a lot of areas. My AR is a new post ban, I don"t like what I here about brakes because of the noise factor, so Wilson has one that does'nt make it louder, but is legal? Just like the look, don't want the extra noise, thanks again, Norm.
View Quote

I am like you and don't like the brakes, too loud. So my upper is enroute to Kurt's right now for a legal Fake flash suppressor which he makes larger than a 22mm suppressor to satisfy the law. I just wanted something on the end of the barrel for looks. Check out pics of the fake brakes at:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=964387&Auth=false
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top