Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 9:32:01 AM EDT
Ran in to something called an M1 Carbine enforcer.  Short little pistol M1.  The receiver was actually stamped enforcer which threw me for a curve as I thought all of these things were more or less home-made jobs.  Anyway, the stock is in excellent condition and the metal is all nice, asking $1000, pretty steep, but is that what its worth?
Chew
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw one at Gun Show 3 weeks ago in Texas. They wanted $300 for it. You'll have to go back through some old Shooters Bibles or something to see if they were manufactured that way. The one at Gun Show sure looked good. First time I've seen the Universal M1 Carbine in 3 different configurations. I have one which has all wood furniture. Saw two that had perforated (mabye after market) hand guards. The one that interested me most though was one that was apparently a Mil-Spec copy. Saw one at a Pawn Shop in Mint condition for $200.00 near the Gun Show also.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Made by Universal back in the sixties.  Don't know how common they were, tho I have seen a few around.  Universal carbines were not generally very well thought of.  Universal made a number of modfications to the original design to either (a) improve it or (b) make it cheaper to produce, depending on your point of view.  My only experience was with a friend's Universal M-1 many years ago.  Thing literally wore out after a couple of thousand rounds.  Steel was too soft as best we could tell.

A $1000 for a Universal Enforcer sounds crazy to me.  Don't have Blue Book with me at the moment but I can't see paying even half that for it.  I'd pass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My Standard Catalog of Firearms, 4th edition, lists Universal Enforcer carbines in excellent condition as worth $250.  That sounds low.  However, $1000 sounds way, way too high.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Gun traders guide 275
orian blue book   200
they are cool looking like someone took a saw after a m1 but I always thought that if I was to get one that is exactly what everyone else would think.
Gary
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
This gun is one of the most common platforms that people use to unintentionally violate the 1934 National Firearms Act.

It is legally a pistol, and many people get the "bright" idea to put a paratrooper stock on it, since it will fit a Universal with a little fitting.  Viola, instant unregistered SBR.  I've seen this one with my own eyes...  Many are not aware of the 16 inch minimum barrel length rule.  

That being said, you could do it if you did the paperwork, because it is my understanding that you can legally make a pistol into a rifle, but not a rifle into a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]
They are junk, plain and simple. I've never seen one that didn't FTF/FTE on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Used mainly for police use.  I should know... I had one pointed at me by a very scared cop.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
They were $90 in 1972. They are supposed to be a serious collectors item today, but I dont think I would pay more than $200 or so. It still just a Universal carbine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me say that I want one R-E-A-L-L-Y  bad-
but a grand is a fucking obscenity. More like $400 is the going rate when they pop up.

As soon as I find one for $300-$350, i'm gunna buy it.
It has it's virtues... I like the concept.
But it is absolutley positivley worth no where near $1000
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the help.
Chew
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine has never failed to fire or properly eject. I use USGI Magazines. It came with a 5 round metal one. One of the Universal's at the Gun Show had a "Plastic" 5 round magazine (had Universal's name on it). I've seen a Universal that was solid rust at a Gun Show earlier this year for $300.00. It sold in about 3 hours. I've never seen this many Universals at one time at a Gun Show. The one at the Pawn Shop is in excellent to mint shape for $200.00.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Junk.  I'd only buy it if the seller threw in a decent used car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top