Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2007 5:15:50 AM EDT
Linky

There’s change at the top in the race for the Republican Presidential nomination.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson earning support from 28% of Likely Republican Primary Voters. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani attracts support from 27%. While Thompson’s one-point edge is statistically insignificant, it is the first time all year that anybody but Giuliani has been on top in Rasmussen Reports polling. A week ago, Thompson and Giuliani were tied at 24%.

It remains an open question as to how Thompson will hold up once he actually enters the campaign and has to compete directly with other candidates. To date, he retains the allure of the new kid in town while GOP voters already know the things they don’t like about the others. Still, Thompson’s rise to the top provides a telling measure of how the other GOP hopefuls have failed to capture the imagination of the party they hope to lead.

Once again this week, Arizona Senator John McCain and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney are tied for a distant third. This week, both men attract 10% support. Last week, they were both at the 11% level of support. For McCain, this is a continuation of a downward trend. For Romney, it reflects a fairly steady position. Romney is doing well in selected state polls but has been unable to gain much traction and expand his support nationwide.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee and Kansas Senator Sam Brownback are each the top choice for 2% of the likely voters.

The combined total for five other candidates in the race is just under 3%. Those candidates are Congressman Ron Paul, Congressman Tom Tancredo, former Governor Tommy Thompson, Congressman Duncan Hunter, and former Governor Jim Gilmore. Eighteen percent (18%) say they’re not sure how they will vote.

This is the first Rasmussen Reports poll to exclude former House Speaker Newt Gingrich as a candidate. Gingrich earned 7% support in last week’s polling but has recently made statements indicating he is not likely to enter the 2008 race as candidate.

Rasmussen Reports releases updated polling data on the Democrat Nomination Process every Monday and on the Republican contest every Tuesday. Results for the Generic Congressional Ballot are updated monthly.

First poll to report Thompson in the lead...and he hasn't even entered yet. Talk about grassroots
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Fred, I have check in hand for when you announce.

CMOS

PS - I already have my Fred Thompson 2008 window sticker.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fred, I have check in hand for when you announce.

CMOS

PS - I already have my Fred Thompson 2008 window sticker.  

Jumped the gun (pun intended !) and already made my first donation.

T
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]

It remains an open question as to how Thompson will hold up once he actually enters the campaign and has to compete directly with other candidates. To date, he retains the allure of the new kid in town while GOP voters already know the things they don’t like about the others.

And there you have it - It's Fred's contest to lose.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
He seems like a pretty slick dude.

I don't see any Ron-Paulisms or Howard-Deanisms in his future.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He is slick in a good way..

Not slick like Obama or Clinton..
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is slick in a good way..

Not slick like Obama or Clinton..

I agree. His approach to interaction, especially with the camera, is very straightforward. His lines don't seem rehearsed. The Michael Moore response is a pretty good example of this. That acting career hopefully will pay off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Looking at the "Percentage points of support earned divided by campaign dollars spent" ratio, Fred is looking pretty sharp right now.

One guy hasn't spent a dime, and the other is blowing through money like Clinton at FatHookerfest.

Nice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Lest we forget polls mean fuckall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top