Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2001 5:12:03 AM EDT
I am looking for some input on how easily some of the other small guys carry.  I'm 5'6" 140lbs, and havent carried before; but am planning on starting.  I'm wondering what carry position have you found works best (IWB, small of back, etc); and what you carry.  Do you have to go with a sub-compact to remain covert, or can you get away with a regular compact (P99, USP compact, etc).  Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry full size (sig p220) in a horizontal shoulder rig from Galco.  I am a bit larger than you, but you could probably carry the same way with a compact auto, like a sig p245 in a Galco horizontal shoulder rig.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 6'4" 260 lbs, but I love my Kahr P9. Its light as a feather.

Its a 9mm DAO polymer frame 7+1 work of art. I got big fat (but short) fingers, and this thing grips beautifully. Its compact, but yet still good size.

I like the hi-ride holsters. The IWB holsters leave the firearm pointing at some vital body parts, and leaves me with an uncomfortable feel. Irrational, I know, but there you have it....
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the itty bitty Glocks. I also like the SOB carry, but it has a couple shortcomings, first is if you fall on yer back you might injure your spine. Second is it is hard to keep an eye on it, in other words if someone knows your carring sob it aint too hard to get your pistol.
Mexican carry and a fullsize HK 40 is another I tend to do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Mexican carry?  Havent't heard that term before.  What exactly is that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Carrying "mexican" is having the piece tucked into your waistband, under your stomach. I too carry like this for quick trips to get milk, etc... BUT, it is not very secure and you really have to mind yourself lest the 'lil critter escape.

B
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
In some states carrying in your waistband is illegal even with a carry permit.  Many states, such as GA, PA, and FL (I have permits from all three) specify it must be in a holster.  It doesn't say what kind, so it can be ankle, ITB, or anything as long as there is a holster.  The way one DA in GA put it was that they wanted to avoid the gangbanger look.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm 5'9" and weigh about 155lbs.  I carry a Taurus PT-111, IWB.  try [url]www.actiondirect.com[/url] they have some holsters that work well for small persons.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
CIB, clicked on your link, got some bank.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Mexican carry is anywhere but not in a holster. I carry just behind the hip, in the pants and cinch the belt tight. It`s a fast way to carry if(like stated above ) you are just running to the store. Also is more invisible in my opinion. Smooth sides are a real concerne, thus the glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top