Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2001 3:36:36 PM EDT
I was talking to some people the other day, and a topic came up about some blue envelopes coming through the mail to various people. It turns out that once opened, these blue envelopes contain a flat sponge and when the sponge comes in contact with your skin, a virus is put into your skin. The virus is apparently very deadly and has already taken several lives.  If you recieve a blue envelope, PLEASE DO NOT OPEN, TURN INTO AUTHORITY'S AND TELL THEM ABOUT THE VIRUS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I got that warning via email about two years ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Shall I add this one to the list????

1. Big companies don't do business via chain letters and
there are no computer programs that track how many
times an e-mail is forwarded, let alone by whom.  Bill
Gates is not giving you $1000, Disney is not giving you a
free vacation, and Nokia is not giving away free cell
phones to those who email the most messages. There
also is no baby food company issuing class action checks
to emailers.

2. Proctor and Gamble is not part of a satanic cult or
scheme, and its logo is not satanic.

3. MTV will not give you backstage passes if you forward
something to the most people.

4. The Gap is not giving away free clothes. You can relax;
there is no need to pass it on "just in case it's true."

5. There is no kidney theft ring in New Orleans.  No one is
waking up in a bathtub full of ice, even if a friend of a
friend swears it happened to their cousin. If you are hell
bent on believing the kidney theft ring stories, see
http://urbanlegends.tqn.com/library/weekly/aa062997.htm  
And I quote "The National Kidney Foundation has
repeatedly issued requests for actual victims of organ
thieves to come forward and tell their stories." None have.
That's "none" as in "zero." Not even your friend's cousin.

6. Neiman Marcus doesn't really sell a $200 cookie recipe.
And even if they do, we all have it. And even if you don't,
you can get a copy at
http://www.bl.net/forwards/cookie.html
Then, if you make the recipe, and decide the cookies are
that awesome, feel free to pass the recipe on.

7. If the latest NASA rocket disaster(s) DID contain
plutonium that spread radioactive particulates over the
eastern seaboard, do you REALLY think this information
would reach the public via an AOL chain letter?

8. There is no "Good Times" or "It Takes Guts To Say
Jesus" or any number of other similar supposed viruses.
In fact, you should never, ever, ever forward any email
containing any virus warning unless you first confirm it
at an actual site of an actual company that actually
deals with actual viruses. AOL, for example, is not in the
antivirus business. (Some would say AOL itself is a virus,
but that's another story.) The fact that someone says "AOL
confirmed the existence of this virus!" is MEANINGLESS!!!
Try http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html  And
even if the virus IS real, don't forward the warning. We
don't care; we keep our antivirus scanner up to date, and
know better than to open unknown file attachments.

9. There is no gang initiation plot to murder any motorist
who flashes headlights at another car driving at night with
out lights.

10. If you still absolutely MUST forward that 10th-
generation message from a friend, at least have the
decency to trim the eight miles of headers showing
everyone else who's received it over the last 6 months.
It sure wouldn't hurt to get rid of all the ">" that begin
each line either.  Besides, if it has gone around that many
times we've probably already seen it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#4]
11. Craig Shergold (or Sherwood, or Sherman, etc.) in
England is not dying of cancer or anything else at this
time and would like everyone to stop sending him their
business cards.  He apparently is no longer a "little boy"
either.

12. The "Make a Wish" foundation is a real organization
doing fine work, but they have had to establish a special
toll free hot line in response to the large number of
Internet hoaxes using their good name and reputation.
It is distracting them from the important work they do.
Also, the American Cancer Society does not give 3 cents
for each person you forward e-mail to. They ask for you to
*donate* money, they don't *give* it; and, besides, how
could they know how many e-mails you sent out? Sheesh.

13. If you are one of those insufferable idiots who forwards
anything that promises something bad will happen "if you
don't forward it" to X people or within X timeframe, then
something bad *will* happen to *you* if I ever meet you in
a dark alley.

14. Women really are suffering in Afghanistan, but
forwarding an e-mail won't help their cause in the least. If
you want to help, contact your local legislative
representative, or get in touch with Amnesty International
or the Red Cross.

15. As a general rule, e-mail "signatures" and "From:" lines
are easily faked and mean nothing.

16. KFC really does use real chickens with feathers and
beaks and feet and everything. No, they really do. Why did
they change their name? In this health conscious world,
what was KFC's name? Kentucky FRIED Chicken. FRIED
is not healthy. So with the help of a focus group, they
changed the name to KFC. It's short, doesn't offend dieters
and it's easy to remember.

17. Another thing, just because someone said in a
message, four generations back, that "we checked it out
and it's legit," or "we know a lawyer who says it must be
true or [Disney/Nokia/AOL/Microsoft/etc.] will be sued!"
does not actually make it true.

PS: There is no bill pending before Congress that will
allow the Post Office to charge you for sending email.

Bottom Line...

Composing e-mail or posting something on the Net is as
easy as writing on the walls of a public rest room, and
about as likely a source of truth.  Don't automatically
believe anything...  ASSUME it's false, unless there is real
proof (and not just someone's unverified claim) that it's
true.

Now copy, paste, and send this to everyone you know or
the virus this message just covertly put on your hard drive
will open up your CD-ROM tray and reach out and slap you
upside the head!!!

Here endeth the lesson.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
PH119,

Bravo!! :-)
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Would someone PLEASE mail a blue envelope to my ex!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
[i]Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt our program of dance music to bring you a special bulletin from the Intercontinental Radio News. At twenty minutes before eight, central time, Professor Farrell of the Mount Jennings Observatory, Chicago, Illinois, reports observing several explosions of incandescent gas, occurring at regular intervals on the planet Mars. The spectroscope indicates the gas to be hydrogen and moving towards the earth with enormous velocity. Professor Pierson of the Observatory at Princeton confirms Farrell's observation, and describes the phenomenon as (quote) like a jet of blue flame shot from a gun (unquote). We now return you to the music of Ramón Raquello, playing for you in the Meridian Room of the Park Plaza Hotel, situated in downtown New York. [/i]

Oh wait...sorry....wrong year. My bad.

Barracuda
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://hoaxinfo.com/badmail.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
This one is so lame that GovtThug didnt even jump in on it!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
ph119 here's another perspective on spammers, you may have seen it before, still it's pretty good.  Sorry, can't post it here the language is a little stiff, under "Our Thoughts on Spammers".[url]http://www.ernieshouseofwhoopass.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, tc6969, I was busy with something else. I'll try to keep on top of this stuff.

[(:)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
What about that story about the general and the radio host that someone posts here every month?  That [i]has[/i] to be true, right?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shall I add this one to the list????

View Quote

That list was terrific.  LOL.

Jay
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was talking to some people the other day, and a topic came up about some blue envelopes coming through the mail to various people. It turns out that once opened, these blue envelopes contain a flat sponge and when the sponge comes in contact with your skin, a virus is put into your skin. The virus is apparently very deadly and has already taken several lives.  If you recieve a blue envelope, PLEASE DO NOT OPEN, TURN INTO AUTHORITY'S AND TELL THEM ABOUT THE VIRUS.
View Quote

Apparently this just reached Tennessee. In another couple of years it might make to to Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Aww man, you missed so many!  How about the look out for aids needles in movie theaters chain email?  Or the people that e-mail a huge warning about every new virus that comes out.  Usually talking about how many billions its cost businesses already.  (Usually they send 10-20 updates a day since there is an unlimited number of viruses out there and the best damn thing to prevent them is to block the spam e-mail!)

And its amazing how many FBI.GOV's or WHITEHOUSE.GOV's are in the from lines.  Isn't it a felony to impersonate those entities?

I get to much important e-mail to waste time reading all the crap they send around.  And most everything has been floating around the net since before the world-wide-web(HTML) was invented.  I got most of the chain letters I get today back when "gopher" and "archie" were the methods of finding things on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Come'on Mikie, please tell me you are joking.  No one is this stupid.  If you are stupid, please do not post here again, it pains us to read this crap.  I just got back from Tennessee, and you are just confirming the clichés.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
It's true, I tell you... I opened the blue valu-save monthly coupon envelope and I'm dead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#19]
It was a hoax. After this came out somebody sent a bunch of blue envelopes with sponges out to Miami, Orlando, etc. It really scared some people and the FBI had to investigate it. They sent men in those bio space suits to check it out and had to quarantine a few areas just in case. It was a general waste of the government's time and money.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]"YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY WON ONE MILLION DOLLARS!"[/b]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
BTW, I have an SMTP Server. I have everything I need to send fraudelant e-mail supposedly from some other person. Hell I have a certificate server I can even digitally sign them with false identities. Don't believe it came from where it says.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, as far as classic hoaxes:

We are from the government and we are here to help you.

Removing guns from private citizens will make us all safer.

Need I go on?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Source, please.
View Quote

It looks like urban legend to me and the "hoax boards" support that.  However since you asked, here is one source that I have seen:

http://www.apb.com/newscenter/breakingnews/2001/09/01/story_biowar.html

From APB.com
_____ Are we already facing Bio Wars of 21st century ?: Deadly information : Warning - Do Not Open Blue Envelopes in your U.S. Mail. This is from Schwab corporate headquarters-so it's no joke. Very scary. Be careful Just when you thought you were safe, now we have the following to deal with. It definitely is a serious threat to our lives and health. This is an alert about a virus in the original sense of the word. One that affects your body, not your hard drive. There have been 23 confirmed cases of people attacked by the Klingerman Virus, a virus that arrives in your real mailbox, not your e-mail in box. Someone has been mailing large blue envelopes, seemingly at random, to people inside the US. On the front of the envelope in bold black letters is printed, "A gift for you from the Klingerman Foundation." When the envelopes are opened, there is a small sponge sealed in plastic. This sponge carries what has come to be known as the Klingerman Virus, as public health officials state this is a strain of virus they have not previously encountered. When asked for comment, Florida police Sergeant Stetson said, "We are working with the CDC and the USPS, but have so far been unable to track down the origins of these letters. The return addresses have all been different, and we are certain a remailing service is being used, making our jobs that much more difficult." Those who have come in contact with the Klingerman Virus have been hospitalized with severe dysentery. So far seven of the twenty- three victims have died. There is no legitimate Klingerman Foundation mailing unsolicited gifts. If you receive an oversized blue envelope in the mail marked "A gift from the Klingerman foundation". DO NOT open it. Place it in a strong plastic bag or container and call the police immediately. The "Gift" is one you definitely do not want to open. For more information, please contact : Mrs. Sandra Dee McNair-Boyd Social Work Secretary Yale New Haven Hospital Department of Social Work 203-688-2256 Ellen Handwerger ADcentives unlimited 6 Cornell Drive Hartsdale, NY 10530 e-mail

© Copyright 2001 APB Online, Inc. All rights reserved.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#25]
The latest NASA rocket disaster(s) DID contain plutonium that spread radioactive particulates over the eastern seaboard, do you REALLY think this information would reach the public via an AOL chain letter?
View Quote

This DID happen but it was back in the '50s.
The ammount of plotinium is measurable in the body.
It took 1 orbit to totally burn up in the atmosphere and EVERY living thing on this planet has it in them now because if it.
THIS was said on a TLC or NOVA show about space and NASA.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
... Today in my mail, along with the ususal bills, I received a dark blue envelop. It measured 8.5" X 11.0".
Before I sat at my comp uter I opennnned it.
No probbbblem! Funny thing though, it too, haddddd a sponge in it. Slighhhhhtly mois    te and a bit pu ~(   nge T.
I threwwwwklqx-  it a;/?0** way as soon as EYE read th%$#mpc  threa DDDDDDD,
I'm FINE 7^><^L e

reallllllyqv  &)0     fu gker#

& 7  s***hit            terets

-& SHYT

()()( -- FUUUU
-(*torets&*$^     d@@

..CG((((~~D_+xxx  

... help

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I found a-Lert, in my mail box today. Couldn't get a bead on him though.[;D][pistol]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I found a-Lert, in my mail box today. Couldn't get a bead on him though.[;D][pistol]
View Quote

Damned Lerts are small and fast.  Use a shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#29]
t'ndid I dna G&P rof dekrow I ,yeH
.tihs cinataS yna ees

[devil]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
ph119,

That #9 hoax was broadcast over NLETS(National Law Enforcment Telecomunications System) back in the early 1990's.  I was on duty when the information report printed out on the system, just one of those things I happened to remember.

Steven
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
2,4,5 trioxin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I just noticed my computer has put up some kind of new buttons on the AR15.com screen! Should I worry about that too?

Hey if you all read the letter it quoted SGT. STETSON. Hell man, his family makes the hats that made Cowboys what they are! I can't believe he'd lie about a thing like "blue envelopes". They even got a quote from John Travolta's girl in the movie "Grease", you know, Sandra Dee! Now I DARE you to call HER a liar! And I'll bet you all missed the connection with the "Klingerman" foundation. Don't you realize that's some ultra-secret foundation propped up by the U.S. ARMY? DUH! Does CORPORAL KLINGER mean anything to you?????????
If no one else is connecting the dots, I can see why this country is going down the tubes![NI]

Psssssst! [i]Don't act like you're really reading this![/i]...ooklay at the ostpay omfray artifexay. reeeeead it backwa.....oops, I mean, eadray it ackwardsbay! [i]satanic messages! [}:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#33]
[size=3][red][b]*** ALERT ***[/size=3][/red][/b]

... get your protection from this insidious virus here!

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/klingerman_hoax.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#34]
"OUCH".....Damn hard drive..........[BD]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#35]
The whole BLUE envelope thing is fake.  Duh!  Everybody knows that the virus is in a RED envelope! [shock]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone who thinks this is legit should seriously go play in traffic.  This is not the first time this rumor has circulated, and given the mental anemia of the American public it probably won't be the last.  Why people keep believing in them is certainly a testament to something bad.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[i]Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt our program of dance music to bring you a special bulletin from the Intercontinental Radio News. At twenty minutes before eight, central time, Professor Farrell of the Mount Jennings Observatory, Chicago, Illinois, reports observing several explosions of incandescent gas, occurring at regular intervals on the planet Mars. The spectroscope indicates the gas to be hydrogen and moving towards the earth with enormous velocity. Professor Pierson of the Observatory at Princeton confirms Farrell's observation, and describes the phenomenon as (quote) like a jet of blue flame shot from a gun (unquote). We now return you to the music of Ramón Raquello, playing for you in the Meridian Room of the Park Plaza Hotel, situated in downtown New York. [/i]

Oh wait...sorry....wrong year. My bad.

Barracuda
View Quote

Heh, I actually found the .mp3 of War Of The Worlds and like to play it around Halloween.  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The whole BLUE envelope thing is fake.  Duh!  Everybody knows that the virus is in a RED envelope! [shock]
View Quote

Actually it's the envelopes with Ed McMahon on them that you should be afraid of!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#39]
... Meanwhile back at the ranch, your local terrorist faction is busily destroying their stock of cheap blue envelopes, and their A-team is almost back at the hideout with their new stash of yellow ones ... [stick]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#40]
OK!

But this realy is true.

For years people would flush there pot seeds down the toilet....
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#41]
No! It Dihydrogen Monoxide!

[url]http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a really scary blue envelope in the mail this week.  It was the bill from my dentist. [BD]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#43]
FatMan This is the scariest part:

Research conducted by award-winning U.S. scientist Nathan Zohner concluded that roughly 86 percent of the population supports a ban on dihydrogen monoxide.
View Quote

A similar study conducted by U.S. researchers Patrick K. McCluskey and Matthew Kulick also found that nearly 90 percent of the citizens participating in their study were willing to sign a petition to support an outright ban on the use of Dihydrogen Monoxide in the United States.
View Quote

Umm, we are doomed.

BTW, If you know anybody who wants some Dihydrogen Monoxide, I'll sell it to them for my low price of $1/Gram or my bulk price of $1,000/Kilo. I'll take trades of Pre-Ban AR-15s for 2 Kilos of Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Orders of more than 100 Grams will be delivered in Escambia (FL & AL), Santa Rosa (FL), Baldwin (AL), or Mobile (AL) Counties.

Orders of more than 2 Kilos will be delivered anywhere in in the Southeast United States

Orders of more than 10 Kilos will be delivered anywhere in the United States.

Orders of more than 100 Kilos will be delivered anywhere in the USA, Canada, Bahamas, Carribien, Europe, Japan, or Australia.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a list to send them to!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Sorry it took so long to get back. I was just curious to see how many people have gotten this stupid email. Several friends of mine were talkin about gettin it and it finally got around to me a while back. Trust me, everything about it is totally fake except for the part about us talking about it. I did get quite a few replies though.

AR4Mikie
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Anthrax

FYI: http://www.msnbc.com/news/638169.asp?pne=msn&cp1=1#BODY
      Newsweek magazine reported on its Web site Monday that the office received a “weird love letter to Jennifer Lopez” a week before the Sept. 11 attacks. Inside was what was described as a “soapy, powdery substance” and a Star of David charm. The letter was handled by both Stevens and Blanco, according to unidentified workers cited by Newsweek.

^

Strange Warning [b]Coincidence ?[/b]

Aluminum Hats Anyone.

^
[size=1]Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL
Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.[/size=1][url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
[size=1]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY  Implant Micro-chip[/size=1][url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/da/tech.htm[/url]  

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR

FIXED BAYONETS

VX

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
This hoax is so wide spread that we are responding to 911 calls about it. One lady even wanted me to have the bomb squad come out.

I try not to laugh in front of them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Life imitating art.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#50]
"Take a letter Maria and send it to my wife" ..."Put it in a blue envelope and I'll start a new life......."

Ok Ok so i can't sing worth a shi_ and it's an old song
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top