User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2007 9:25:17 AM EDT
If you do, you should find this interesting, and how it plays out:

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266366,00.html

This site is actually trying to do something about it:

www.savenetradio.org

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Under the new system that requires payments for each song streamed to each listener and does away with the old percentage-based formula for small companies, he would have been on the hook for about $600,000 in royalties last year.

Something doesn't seem kosher here.
I'm sure radio stations don't pay per listener. There is no way to know how many people are tuned in.

This is just typical RIAA BS. They need to be crushed under RICO like the mob.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
How can they tell how many people are listening?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Heh, two net radio's I listen to avoid this.

One is basically a promotion tool for bands in it's genre. They send in songs to get played. I've bought plenty of records/songs now from small bands (some totally independent) this way, 'cause otherwise I'd never had heard of them.

The other station, run by my EVE corp, well, good luck shutting that down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's easy with the internet. Everything you do is tracked.
It's just like how Arfcom knows there's over 3300 people online right now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree.  This is the 'man' who is trying to oust his competitors.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
This is so fucking stupid.

The RIAA and Clear Channel Broadcasting have made traditional radio so bland and repetitive that it's basically unlistenable.

And now they're going to destroy internet radio too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been watching this since the last go-around a few years ago.

This all boils down to RIAA trying to choke off anything it can't completely control or extort massive payments from.

I REALLY want to see RICO applied to these fuckers.  They are nothing more than organized crime in nice clothes with lawyers and PR droids.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARFCOM knows because of cookies, where the receiving computer (you) sends information back to ARFCOM to let it know what you want, where you're going, etc...

Streaming broadcasts are much harder to track, since they're mostly one-way communication. Imagine it like a blind deaf guy on a megaphone, and you're a person listening. That's it in a nutshell. Now have the guy with the megaphone tell you how many people are listening to him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been watching this since the last go-around a few years ago.

This all boils down to RIAA trying to choke off anything it can't completely control or extort massive payments from.

I REALLY want to see RICO applied to these fuckers.  They are nothing more than organized crime in nice clothes with lawyers and PR droids.

Are you saying mobsters don't have nice clothes, and lawyers?

I'd kill for one of them old school mob suits you see in the movies.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Doing it right now at WMGK.com. "Lola" by The Kinks.

ETA: "Peace Of Mind"/Boston
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARFCOM knows because of cookies, where the receiving computer (you) sends information back to ARFCOM to let it know what you want, where you're going, etc...

Streaming broadcasts are much harder to track, since they're mostly one-way communication. Imagine it like a blind deaf guy on a megaphone, and you're a person listening. That's it in a nutshell. Now have the guy with the megaphone tell you how many people are listening to him.

You have to join the multi-cast right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is so fucking stupid.

The RIAA and Clear Channel Broadcasting have made traditional radio so bland and repetitive that it's basically unlistenable.

And now they're going to destroy internet radio too.

+1000
Heres a good site I listen too while ARFCOMING.
For now.
Greedy bastards, wonder why CD and download sales are dropping
Thanks for the thread. I heard it last night online and was trying to remember the site after I got a chance to check it out...
ROCKABILLY RADIO
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
wow..   streaming radio is what I listen to all day long.

I do music.. news.. and talk ..

hell sometimes i watch TV here at work thru www.orb.com

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

One is basically a promotion tool for bands in it's genre. They send in songs to get played. I've bought plenty of records/songs now from small bands (some totally independent) this way, 'cause otherwise I'd never had heard of them.

Bring me the frozen corps of a RIAA big wig and I'll give you 10,000 Med. Thorium charges.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I've heard chatter here and there that some Internet stations are going to move to servers overseas and/or in Canada, where the royalty structures are different.

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bring me the frozen corps of a RIAA big wig and I'll give you 10,000 Med. Thorium charges.

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Got broadband? Stream your own music from home using WinAmp and a webbrowser.

ajaxamp.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top