Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 5:34:21 PM EDT
I need a shared/virtual dedicated server to run Windows Media Server for my streaming projects (my free provider and the 15 concurrent connection limit ain't cutting it). I can get all this set up, as long as I've got a Win2k3 server handy on a fat pipe. Enter GoDaddy. They've got one for 36.98/mo, and it includes 500GB/mo transfer.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

EDIT: Clarification time.

It seems like GoDaddy sucks. Fine and dandy. Pay close attention to my requirements:

1. I need to run (pay attention) WINDOWS MEDIA SERVER on WINDOWS 2003 SERVER.

2. There are two ways to do this:

2a. (preferred) A hosting company that allows (pay attention) me to log in AS ADMINISTRATOR OVER RDP. I *need* to be able to do WHATEVER I WANT with the box. I don't care if it's a virtual server, or a dedicated server. I need to be able to do this. If I feel like installing a bit torrent client because I'm bored, I should be able to.

2b. (secondary) I will settle for a provider that does not allows Administrator logins over RDP, *if* they offer Windows Media Server *and* they're dirt cheap.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
*pleads the fifth regarding spokesmodels*
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Great service.

When I signed up, I got a handjob from the GoDaddy girl.

Of course, you had to have the discount code.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know, but I've got three words for the Godaddy Superbowl chick...........

Giggidy giggidy goo

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Great service.

When I signed up, I got a handjob from the GoDaddy girl.

Of course, you had to have the discound code.

I WANT THAT CODE!!!1!1
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to know too. I currently only use them as a registrar for my domains. Which I like them better than Network Solutions and the piece of shit Names4ever/Aplus.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Leverguns is my main website. They ran Go Daddy and got hacked. They are still not 100%.  It seems Go Daddy is not that secure. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 Leverguns is my main website. They ran Go Daddy and got hacked. They are still not 100%.  It seems Go Daddy is not that secure. YMMV

Website hacking is less a function of the provider, and more a function of the guy responsible for the site.

If his forum software got hacked, it ain't Go Daddy's fault. They give you root/administrator privileges on the box - security is up to you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a hell of a time setting up an online t-shirt store when I was hosted with them.  Reason?  Because I was using a store that was not theirs (that's what I was told anyways).

I ended up having to put it up elsewhere.

They are decent if you have a simple website and to register your domain.  Other than that, buyer beware.

Eric  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Netfirms for my site.

- 250 GB Disk Space
- 2,000 GB Monthly Transfer
- 500 E-mail Accounts
- 2 Free Domain Names
- E-commerce Shopping Cart
- WordPress Business Blog
- PHP, MySQL
- 24/7 Customer Support

9.95/mo
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not use them.  They are notorious for not only taking down sites when they get complaints, but also not releasing your domain for you to move to another provider.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would not use them.  They are notorious for not only taking down sites when they get complaints, but also not releasing your domain for you to move to another provider.

Who, Netfirms or Godaddy?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

- 250 GB Disk Space
- 500 E-mail Accounts
- 2 Free Domain Names
- PHP, MySQL
- 24/7 Customer Support

9.95/mo

Whoah! Sounds good, but two questions:

1. Windows or Linux (and is Windows available?)
2. Do they give you root/Administrator (as the case may be) to your virtual server?

Basically, can you SSH or RDP in and do whatever you want?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
They have different features depending on which plan you choose.  You can use SSH.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

- 250 GB Disk Space
- 500 E-mail Accounts
- 2 Free Domain Names
- PHP, MySQL
- 24/7 Customer Support

9.95/mo

How much of that 2 TB transfer do you use?

SubnetMask, you should check this forum out.

www.webhostingtalk.com/
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They have different features depending on which plan you choose.  You can use SSH.

Hmmm.. The price is right, but they're not flexible enough. All of the features they offer are things I can implement on my own. I just need (in the case of Windows) the ability to log in as Administrator via RDP. I need to be able to install whatever I want, how I want.

I just called them, and they won't do what I need. I need a Windows 2003 virtual dedicated server (meaning, I don't mind sharing the hardware, but I need to be able to log in as Administrator and manage my virtual "server" as I see fit). They won't do that.

I'd be willing to give that up, if they offered Windows Media Server (something I can setup myself, but whatever), but they don't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Their site design and mish mash of management tools sucks goat rod, but their service has been perfect for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.. The price is right, but they're not flexible enough. All of the features they offer are things I can implement on my own. I just need (in the case of Windows) the ability to log in as Administrator via RDP. I need to be able to install whatever I want, how I want.

I just called them, and they won't do what I need. I need a Windows 2003 virtual dedicated server (meaning, I don't mind sharing the hardware, but I need to be able to log in as Administrator and manage my virtual "server" as I see fit). They won't do that.

I'd be willing to give that up, if they offered Windows Media Server (something I can setup myself, but whatever), but they don't.

I've rarely seen a setup like that, and it is annoying.  Usually they give you some non-intuitive lame ass web based tool.

I'd love to find a .NET host with a true RDP admin login.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Their site design and mish mash of management tools sucks goat rod, but their service has been perfect for me.

Well, fuck their management tools. Can you log into your virtual server as Administrator over RDP?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I know that chick has a nice rack.

That is all I know about godaddy.com.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've rarely seen a setup like that, and it is annoying.  Usually they give you some non-intuitive lame ass web based tool.

I'd love to find a .NET host with a true RDP admin login.

You don't even need a ".NET host". You need somebody who will give you an Administrator login over RDP. If they'll give you that, you can "roll your own", so to speak. That's what I'm really after.

I don't mind sharing the physical server (for my needs at the moment), but I need a virtual server all my own (ala VMWare GSX or similar). I've found a bunch of providers that will do this (more than I can research), but I'm looking for specific recommendations.

Surely, I'm not THE first guy to ask this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I was spoiled by my last host, he gave me whatever I wanted even SSH access. I use go daddy now cause they're cheap and reliable enough for my needs (photo/ file hosting and an extremely low traffic website).
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was spoiled by my last host, he gave me whatever I wanted even SSH access. I use go daddy now cause they're cheap and reliable enough for my needs (photo/ file hosting and an extremely low traffic website).

Who did you use before, how much did he charge you, and will he take on another Windows customer?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I like hostgator.com, great service and good pricing
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I like hostgator.com, great service and good pricing

Looking...

(They better offer Administrator RDP logins...)

EDIT: They don't
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#25]
nodaddy.com/

I used to use godaddy for domains. I personally had no problems. However, they have decided to begin removing domains for content (even alledged spam). This is unacceptable that some doofus can complain that they got spam from you without proof and have your domain yanked. Its also retarded to have someone complain that you are hosting content they don't like and have your site shutdown.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Clarification time.

It seems like GoDaddy sucks. Fine and dandy. Pay close attention to my requirements:

1. I need to run (pay attention) WINDOWS MEDIA SERVER on WINDOWS 2003 SERVER.

2. There are two ways to do this:

2a. (preferred) A hosting company that allows (pay attention) me to log in AS ADMINISTRATOR OVER RDP. I *need* to be able to do WHATEVER I WANT with the box. I don't care if it's a virtual server, or a dedicated server. I need to be able to do this. If I feel like installing a bit torrent client because I'm bored, I should be able to.

2b. (secondary) I will settle for a provider that does not allows Administrator logins over RDP, *if* they offer Windows Media Server *and* they're dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]
IM sent
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
IM sent

IM sent back. Call me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who did you use before, how much did he charge you, and will he take on another Windows customer?

It was a buddy who was renting a server, and the only reason I stopped using him is because he was done doing the whole server thing due to money issues.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you checked out 1 & 1 hosting? They have a VPS package with 1200gb transfer for $39
a month.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Subnet, I have a dedicated Windows 2003 server at GoDaddy for my sites.  I have an administrator login and access it via RDP.  I can install and run whatever I want on it.  It's been trouble-free since I started using it over a year ago.

I've installed SQL Server Express, MySql, php, perl, Ruby, Azuerus and probably some other stuff that I don't remember.  

IM me if you have any questions.

IM with phone number inbound...
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who, Netfirms or Godaddy?

GoDaddy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top