Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2001 5:42:15 AM EDT
I am looking for a new rifle for a WY trip in fall 2001.  So, sounds like a great excuse to get a new rifle, not only for the trip, but for whitetail at home!!  I am 65% sure I want the 7mm-08, but a few questions before I plop down the $$$$
CDNN has the Steyr Forester  for 499 in a bunch of calibers.  The Steyr's have a sweet trigger out of the box.  A friend has 2 that are almost the only guns he hunts with( & he owns a gunshop!)  I handload, so ammo availability is not a huge concern.
I have heard the 7mm08 is a little less recoiling than .308, and I want something "fun" to shoot.  Also, any practical difference in recoil between the two?
499 sounds like a good price. What do yall think??
I am looking at light bullets (130-150 ) so the ability of the .308 to go up to 180-200 is no big deal.  I have bigger thunderstick if heavy bullet is needed.
I want a short action. (just do)
Input greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/27/2001 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You know that I know that you know that I know everything about the .308 case family.  

7mm-08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, go do the right thing. (and have FUN)
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a job for the 7mm-08.  It is a good round, I don't think you will go wrong.  My only comment would be about ammo availability in comparison to the .308.  But like you said you reload so that is not an issue.  Have fun!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
7mm is a great choice. Big game bullet choice for the handloader is only beat by the 30 cal. but I don't believe the 30's can do what the 7mm can. I to like the '08 case.
Just for some food for thought. The 260 Rem is another excellent cartridge. For hunting the difference between 7mm08 and 260 Rem would be marginal. For varmint and target work the 260 would be the better. I know not the topic just food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Both are great cartridges.  Since you handload, the 7mm/08 would be a fine choice.  I purchased a Remington Model #7 for my son's first deer rifle and had to make the same choice.  I went for the .308 for two reason.  I did not handload at the time and wanted to be able to use cheap military surplus for him to practice and I already have an M1A in .308.  You can go to www.huntamerica.com and there is a recoil calculator on the home page.  You type in the bullet weight, the rifle weight, and the estimated velocity and it will give you the recoil.  I doubt there it more than 5 lbs difference them.  Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
In the bullet weight ranges where both cartridges overlap, the 7mm-08 will be a better cartridge ballistically. But the .308 is cheaper to shoot (and even to reload if you use FMJ). I think there is more difference between one of those cartridge's respective roundnose and spitzer boattail designs than there is between the 2 cartridges themselves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Both would be fine, with the nod going to the 7mm/08.

Keep in mind that Pronghorn shooting can easily stretch way out there yardage wise.  A flat shooting cartridge is a definate advantage for them.  If you weren't set on a short action, I'd suggest a .270.

shootr
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I own both calibers two guns each, a heavy and a lightweight.  Both calibers seem to kick about the same in like guns. I like my 7mm-08 and it's a reloader's cartridge with bullet selection, powder compatabillity, and brass out the wazoo.

But, if you travel 1,000 miles to the BFE National forest for the hunt of a lifetime and forget or lose those handloads which caliber do you think you'll be able to replace at Mildred's allnight bait, beer and bullet store?

Cong
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking for a new rifle for a WY trip in fall 2001.  So, sounds like a great excuse to get a new rifle, not only for the trip, but for whitetail at home!!  I am 65% sure I want the 7mm-08, but a few questions before I plop down the $$$$
I have heard the 7mm08 is a little less recoiling than .308, and I want something "fun" to shoot.  Also, any practical difference in recoil between the two?
View Quote

With a name like that recoil should be no problem. I will agree with CONG about the bullet availability. That is a consideration but if you get out there and lose your handloads for the 7-08 then just buy you another rifle![:D] Good excuse, huh?
Me have big thunderstick...Rem 700 LSS 300 Rem Ultra Mag. It have many recoils![;)]
Lynn [sniper]
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#9]
VC,
good point
I ALWAYS have a backup rifle (.30-06) in the truck/lodge/camp/cabin with scope and iron sights for that very reason!!!
You can get .22LR, 12 gauge, .30-30, .30-06, .38/.357, 9mm, and .45 ammo just about anywhere, so if I go to enjoy a shooting sport somewhere away from home, I always have a substitute, back-up gun in a common caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top