Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 7:29:25 PM EDT
Seeking G3 purchasing advice?

I have a FMP receiver and an H&K parts kit. Jim G. will put it together this winter for me.
This is going to be my “good gun”.

I also have a HK contact rifle, made in Portugal and stamped as such (along with import stamp) which I bought from SOG. This is going to be my “range gun”.

Now the question is do I need another G3? Or should I buy another rifle altogether?
And if yes, should I buy a CETME (with stainless steel receiver) or a Springfield SAR-8 (with aluminum receiver)? The SAR-8 cost double than the CETME costs.

What do you suggest?
Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I also have a HK contact rifle, made in Portugal and stamped as such (along with import stamp) which I bought from SOG. This is going to be my “range gun”.
FRIZ
View Quote

Hate to burst your bubble kid, but the only thing MADE IN PORTUGAL on your SOG guns is the receiver. The rest is a crap kit built at Century Arms.

Your FMP receiver was ALSO made in Portugal but you did it the right way with a REAL H&K kit, hopefully NEW, built by Jim who is the best in the business.

SOG really bothered me with their BLATANT misleading advertising on that gun and it is really a pice of crap. Maybe half a step above the other Century Arms G3s that suck. If you are lucky you have a decent bore and internals and it will shoot straight. This is ONLY a beater gun.

But since you have a REAL ONe, I would suggest moving onto a FAL. I'm assuming you already have an AR.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Second the FAL.  DSA's are great, especially their Stg-58 "kit guns".  

Or, you could go straight for an FNC.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased an SA SAR-8 2 yrs. ago. Had a failure to cycle problem that I corrected myself- the extractor spring was too stiff and the rollers wouldn't move from the bolt. Should have sent it back and bitched but I like to repair things. Anyway it shoots well. Have a 6x24x50 scope and shoot 1 hole groups at 100M. even w/the horrible trigger pull- am going to get that remedied by Wilsons
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for your advice.
I have already a DSA Stg-58 "kit guns".
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming you already have a AR15 and AK47(74 is better), put the money into ammo, extra mags and accessories. There is a storm on the horizon.

If you must purchase another gun and the other bases are covered I would go with a M1A next.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The only G3 advice I can give is buy a G3 and a CETME or else the G3 will be sad and alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top