Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2007 7:19:50 PM EDT
The overview website has posted 30 cosponsors of HR 1022 having signed on over the past couple of weeks:

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR01022:@@@L&summ2=m&

Time to shoot this bill down and contact your representative - especially if they're one of the communists on the list.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
33 Cosponsors now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have and I get no reply whatsoever, I also contacted Ruth Munsons office about Illinois AWB and she would not come to the phone and had her staffer tell me that she has not made up her mind yet but will vote her conscience.

I always thought the job was to vote the constituents will, or the constitutional issues of a bill.

Make up their minds?...who the fuck do they think they are supposed to be representing?
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The overview website has posted 30 cosponsors of HR 1022 having signed on over the past couple of weeks:

Time to shoot this bill down and contact your representative - especially if they're one of the communists on the list.

how do you shoot down a bill thats not even up for review with the committy its assigned too?
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

how do you shoot down a bill thats not even up for review with the committy its assigned too? You get so many politicians to attack it that it never makes it out of judicial committee.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it's bouncing around committees now...

3/19/2007:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security

NOT a good committee to be in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems like mostly Commiefornia and Massachusetts people on this bill. Leave the rest of the country alone!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
They got their own damn bans in their state.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
It is an unconstitutional bill that i will not follow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have and I get no reply whatsoever, I also contacted Ruth Munsons office about Illinois AWB and she would not come to the phone and had her staffer tell me that she has not made up her mind yet but will vote her conscience.

I always thought the job was to vote the constituents will, or the constitutional issues of a bill.

Make up their minds?...who the fuck do they think they are supposed to be representing?

The majority of cfitizens who favor gun bans would say the rep should be representing them, the  majority. If I was a rep my view would be I'd vote the way I felt and if people didn't like it they could vote me out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

3/19/2007:

CRAP!

I thought they might try this...my guess is that they are going to wait and try to tie this into a larger "Homeland Security" type bill that is veto proof.

They aren't idiot and they put the AWB into the larger Violent Crimes Act in 1994 so they know how to play this game.

Feinstein tried to sneak an extension to the 94' AWB into a pro-Second Amendment bill ala. the stab in the back they gave us with the FOPA machine gun ban, but thank God the GOP controlled Congress shut her down.  

This is BAD NEWS, but it aint over yet. The Republicans are starting to master this standing up for themselves thing with the War so maybe they will continue to do so against BS moves like HR 1022.

Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is an unconstitutional bill that i will not follow.

That is not a great way to preserve your rights...

This just won't work...

Link Posted: 3/30/2007 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The majority of cfitizens who favor gun bans would say the rep should be representing them, the  majority. If I was a rep my view would be I'd vote the way I felt and if people didn't like it they could vote me out.

Yeah, well this isn't some vote to give kiddies free milk at school lunches this is about trying to take down a Constitutional Amendment without having to have an actual Amendment to the Constitution (like they tried to do with Flag Burning to get past the First Amendment).

These people take an oath of office to support the Constitution.    
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Would it be a waste of time writing to the subcommittee chair asking him to oppose 1022?
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
waste of time ? no

I have a new pledge for every post I make here from now on I will write/call/email my rep or a rep at the state/local/fed level
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are the Sub-commettee members:

Majority Members (Democrats)
Member Name DC Phone DC FAX Email
Robert C. Scott (D-VA) [Chairman] 202-225-8351 202-225-8354 [email protected]
Maxine Waters (D-CA) 202-225-2201 202-225-7854 http://www.house.gov/waters/IMA/issue.htm
Bill Delahunt (D-MA) 202-225-3111 202-225-5658 [email protected]
Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) 202-225-5635 202-225-6923 http://www.house.gov/nadler/emailform.shtml
Hank Johnson (D-GA) 202-225-1605 202-226-0691 http://hankjohnson.house.gov/contact.shtml
Anthony Weiner (D-NY) 202-225-6616 202-226-7253 [email protected]
Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) 202-225-3816 202-225-3317 http://www.jacksonlee.house.gov/feedback.cfm?
campaign=jacksonlee&
type=Let%27s%20Talk
Martin T. Meehan (D-MA) 202-225-3411 202-226-0771 [email protected]
Artur Davis (D-AL) 202-225-2665 202-226-9567 http://www.house.gov/arturdavis/zipauth.shtml

Minority Members (Republicans)
Member Name DC Phone DC FAX Email
J. Randy Forbes (R-VA) [Ranking Member] 202-225-6365 202-226-1170 http://randyforbes.house.gov/zipauth.htm
Louie Gohmert (R-TX) 202-225-3035 202-226-1230 http://gohmert.house.gov/contact_louie.htm
F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-WI) 202-225-5101 202-225-3190 http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/ContactForm/
Howard Coble (R-NC) 202-225-3065 202-225-8611 [email protected]
Steve Chabot (R-OH) 202-225-2216 202-225-3012 http://www.house.gov/writerep/
Dan Lungren (R-CA) 202-225-5716 202-226-1298 http://www.lungren.house.gov/feedback.shtml

Sadly all of the democrats are rabid anti-RKBA types.  Honestly, I see HR1022 making it easily out of the Judiciary committee.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I've written 7 reps, emailed around 20, made phone calls to about 10, and payed for my NRA membership renewal.

I guess I keep writing and calling till I'm even bluer in the face.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
well I have a letter ready to send. I missed the mail pickup today so I'll hit a post office on the way to my appointment later.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed my state reps and the white house regarding this issue.

Local reps said they supported citizens having semi-autos.

White House responded with a letter that didn't even address this bill?   I was really surprised.  It went something like, the Prez is addressing issues with the economy, family values etc.  In other words, you are on your own to fight this bill.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
They need to here our vioce so speak up NOW!
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Time to shoot this bill down and contact your representative +1

DONE!
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah, well this isn't some vote to give kiddies free milk at school lunches this is about trying to take down a Constitutional Amendment without having to have an actual Amendment to the Constitution (like they tried to do with Flag Burning to get past the First Amendment).

These people take an oath of office to support the Constitution.    
Your post goes to the issue that many people do not view private gun ownership as a Constitutional issue.In their minds the issuen has been settled to NOT be a Constitutionally protected activity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

3/19/2007:

This was expected. It's the same subcommittee the bill was assigned to when it was introduced in 2005.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]

The majority of cfitizens who favor gun bans would say the rep should be representing them, the majority.

Surly you jest. An elected member of the government actually responding to his constituents? Each has their personal agenda. I do believe that there are some Congress Critters out that that do actually respect the wishes of their constituents.
The ones that reperesent our area are all pro gun!

But I call and email anyway!

Link Posted: 3/30/2007 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#25]
It's growin' legs fella's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's growin' legs fella's.

Why are you surprised that the most liberal (and the biggest Brady contribution reciepents) members got on board as co-sponsors?

This was predictable.  It will make it out of the subcommittee easily.  It might even make it out of the full committee but it will proabally be buried there as that is a convient place for it to quitely go away.  It is far too radical to pass the full house, it does not stand a chance in the senate and far beyond the Feinstein Bill that Bush said he would re-authorize and nothing more radical so Bush would very likely veto it if it ever made it to his desk.  It is pure meat for the anti-gun base, not intended for general consumption.

It works like this.  The Democrats have many new House seats that are up for their first term re-election in 08.  If the Republicans field a strong presidential candidate and the dems pick a weak one like Hillary, they stand getting swept away by his coattails.  They will not stir up the hornet's nest this term because they want to solidify their gains in 08.  Most of these new seats are in conservative pro-gun districts and they will not risk them in the cradle.  They are not as stupid as we think they are, just as rotten.

However, they have to put on a show because Brady gives them money.  That lists of co-sponsors are Brady's biggest ass burglers.  1022 is the show.  Don't wear yourself out on this one.  Write and make noise but don't lose sleep over this one, it is a feint.  Prepare yourself for 08 and make sure they don't keep the House of Senate.  If they get a substantial majority and the White House, they will make their move then.

Don't play checkers when your enemy plays chess.

Your logic seems good to me, but I must profess ignorance of congressional processes.

I sincerely hope you are right.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
/\  Pretty much sums it up but be prepared for someone to come along and call HeavyMetal an idiot and a sheep.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Why do people (gun owners no less) keep downplaying this bill?

Yes, the libs propose an AWB every year.

But things have changed, they now hold the majority. All the left wing moonbats are now in charge of these committees.

They have passed one of these before and they did not even have the terrorist angle that they have now to get a bill like this to pass.

Bottom line is: THEY WANT US DISARMED! They will keep trying until they are successful. 1022 will make it and it will be attached to some homeland security bill that they know will not be vetoed.

Libs have managed to defund the war (for now), are in the process of putting together the largest tax hike in this countries history and are trying to pretty much ban all semi auto rifles.

They are libs, it is what they do...

It is like fighting terrorism. We have to win every time, they only have to be win once to hurt us.

The thread about 1022 being proposed and gaining co sponsors was a huge thread. The fact that the bill is moving along is not even a blip on the radar.

Again, I will say it. LIBS (and RINOS) want to take away your right to purchase semi auto firearms. Yes, we all have lots of guns, but (to use a liberal phrase) what about your kids??

How will it feel knowing that your collection will have to be turned into the state to be melted down into scrap metal when you die?

How will it feel knowing that your children will be denied the tools to hunt, target shoot, protect their home and most importantly, stand up to a government gone wrong?

I am new to the fight, have owned guns since I was 18 but only started paying attention to the legal and political aspects for the last year or so. But in that time, I have joined and donated money to the NRA, written letters to my representatives and introduced newbs, libs and fence sitters to the joy of firearms ownership..
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We need more backbone and less despair.  We have the advantage, are we willing to do the hard work to keep it?  The only sure way we can lose it to quit.

You happen to know an ARFcommer named RicInVegas?

Cant 1022 be "adjusted" in these committees to become less of a political threat worth voting on by democraps?
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
At least the only one from the Great State of Texas is that socalist fat cow Rep Sheila Jackson-Lee
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#33]
To call anyone on this thread a chicken little is just ignorant. Nobody thought this would happen in 1994 either... people insisted it was unconstitutional, yet it passed and remained in effect for 10 years while we did nothing. Nobody did anything in 1986 either when the ATF was given juristdiction and fully automatic rifles were banned. Now our government knows just how passive gun owners are, and know many of them will turn into sissies and do nothing if this passes, since they didn't last time. There's even more reason to be concerned this time.

For those of you hiding behind the NRA, many of them are also liberals who supported the AWB. I'd be careful who you put your faith in.

Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Who is this 'we'? Where were you hiding in 94 cuz the rest of us knew what was going on. 'We' were there and fighting it and knew what was going on, where the hell were you that you weren't aware of what the rest of us were?

I hadn't even gotten into guns or the 2nd amendment yet. I'd just turned 18 and had very liberal parents.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Come on, do you really think people would re-elect someone named dick sweat?
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
If I keep writing someone is going to put a restraining order on my ass.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I will not obey.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Now this looks like a bill I can get behind. I'd see if your congressman will become a cosponsor of this bill, as a pledge that they will not support HR1022...

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.73:
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Now this looks like a bill I can get behind. I'd see if your congressman will become a cosponsor of this bill, as a pledge that they will not support HR1022...

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.73:

bad idea. do that and you rule out any chance for a supreme court ruling. Whether we like it or not we're most likely going to need a ruling in the next year or two or there wont be any gun rights left.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That is a damn good point!  If you campaigned w/ the truth of who you are and what you stand for, then it should be no surprise you follow it.  This is the one thing about Bush I can admire.  The man does what HE thinks is right.  No need to be re-elected.  

I hate the flip flop bull shit that's going on right now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#46]
oh yeah and +1 I will not obey. To me this bill and what the supreme court rules is a fork in the road in my life as far as I'm concerned. It will determine what allegiances I have and whether or not I go into law enforcement. If I end up having to work on an oil rig then so be it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Why do people (gun owners no less) keep downplaying this bill?

Yes, the libs propose an AWB every year.

But things have changed, they now hold the majority. All the left wing moonbats are now in charge of these committees.

They have passed one of these before and they did not even have the terrorist angle that they have now to get a bill like this to pass.

Bottom line is: THEY WANT US DISARMED! They will keep trying until they are successful. 1022 will make it and it will be attached to some homeland security bill that they know will not be vetoed.

Libs have managed to defund the war (for now), are in the process of putting together the largest tax hike in this countries history and are trying to pretty much ban all semi auto rifles.

They are libs, it is what they do...

It is like fighting terrorism. We have to win every time, they only have to be win once to hurt us.

The thread about 1022 being proposed and gaining co sponsors was a huge thread. The fact that the bill is moving along is not even a blip on the radar.

Again, I will say it. LIBS (and RINOS) want to take away your right to purchase semi auto firearms. Yes, we all have lots of guns, but (to use a liberal phrase) what about your kids??

How will it feel knowing that your collection will have to be turned into the state to be melted down into scrap metal when you die?

How will it feel knowing that your children will be denied the tools to hunt, target shoot, protect their home and most importantly, stand up to a government gone wrong?

I am new to the fight, have owned guns since I was 18 but only started paying attention to the legal and political aspects for the last year or so. But in that time, I have joined and donated money to the NRA, written letters to my representatives and introduced newbs, libs and fence sitters to the joy of firearms ownership..

well said
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#49]
The thing is - a majority of Americans oppose gun bans... it's a few [poorly educated] states in the union thinking they can dictate how the other 47 states are going to live. If it were not for the left-wing liberal media distorting the truth, I think we might get a view of reality as it really is.

Who's the guy in here who used to have the tagline, "Fuck 'em, we're the ones with the guns" ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I will not obey.

You may not, but

1) you are NOT going to find many folks that will sell you any "contraband" you might need

2) you will never be able to leave your compound with your "stash"

Much better strategy is start calling your reps in .Gov and telling them its "not acceptable" this new legislation

(Actually I'm calling BS here - nobody I ever came across admitted they had no ban stuff during the ban - everybody conformed)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top