Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 11:07:38 AM EDT
DPMS offers to cryo treat you barrell for like 60 bucks. suposed to make it more accurate. has any one done this. any one know for a fact that it works. dose it f*** up the chrome?

www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=90&ObjectGroup_ID=1263&CATID=494
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#1]
i wouldnt do it to a chrome barrel,but not for fear of messing it up. a chrome barrel isnt as inherently accurate to begin with so its kind of like trying to make a polo pony pull the ox cart. most match barrels will show some improvement with this process. and i think most match rifle makers do cryo their barrels after final machine work on them..pat
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anybody know the exact proceedure for doing this? I have a unique job that allows me to have thousands (yes thousands) of gallons of this stuff at my disposal. I've always wanted to try it on a few of my AR's, but didn't know the proceedure. Please email direct if possible, or post if not!

Thanks!
Chopperdave
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
(cut rifling) Kreiger does it.  Lilja (button rifle) doesn't.  Kevin Thomas from Sierra says that Moly is bunk too.... and Sierra sells Moly bullets!  [:)]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Chopperdave: I assume you are talking about liquid nitrogen and you are thinking of dunking your AR barrels in it. If you do may be creating a dangerous situation. I am only putting two and two together here but for the following reasons I'd advise aagainst screwing around with it.

I heard of a small engine manufacturer that decided to cryo treat its connecting rods. They blithely dunked these rods and guess what happened. They started to fail at a much higher rate than before. It turns out that when you change the temperature of a metal rapidly, due to thermal contraction/expansion you are changing the size of the outer layers of the metal in relation to the inner areas of the entire mass of metal, first shrinking when you dunk it, then expanding when it is exposed to room temperature again. This creates microscopic stress fractures which weaken the metal and create points of failure. In an engine, you get a broken con rod. In a rifle, I think you'd you get a kaboom. A big one.

True cryo treatment is a careful process of changing the temperature at a very slow rate to give the metal parts plenty of time to transfer heat energy out and back in so all areas of the metal mass remain at the smallest temperature variance possible. I believe the rate of change is somewhere around a degree an hour, give or take. IIRC, it takes days just to cool the part down, then keep it cold while the cold does its magic to the crystal sructure of the metal, then again slowly warm it.

I'd be careful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top