Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 8:38:39 AM EDT
Anyone out there ever own one of these? I am considering one as a concealed carry piece and want some input from people who have actually OWNED one. Is it good, bad, or otherwise? I don't plan on running thousands of rounds of ammo through it, just some range time to become proficient with it as I realize the plastic frame will have some limitations when it comes to longevity. Thanks

Finnbear out
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those and the only complaint is the trigger pull (12-16 lbs.). My Dad however loved it and has carried it since I gave it to him, (he has hands like bear paws).

I did shoot 100-200 rnds through it though and it seemed to like Win silver-tips ammo.

Checked into getting the trigger modified and was told [b]not possible[/b].

Mike
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one and it was the wost piece of crap I ever owned. You'll find lots of guys that dig'em, but for my $$$ skip the P11 and save for a real gun like a Glock 26 or a Kahr K9. To paraphrase Triumph, I guess the P11 is good enough....[size=4]FOR ME TO POOP ON!![/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Like everything else, some swear by them, some swear at them.  

Go to [url]www.ktog.net[/url] for more info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one on a Saturday and sold it the following week.

The reason I sold it was because every other shot the take-down pin that holds the barrel and slide on would work itself out and obviously cause it to not release the spent casing.

Plus, the "improved" trigger pull was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one.

It has problems if you don't do the fluff and buff found on the website in FatMan's post.  Little sanding and polishing to fine tune the metal on metal action.  Much cheaper than a G26 and the same capacity.  Plus, smaller :)

I've also seen websites with modifications for the trigger.  They can also accept bigger magazines (non-Keltec) for some expanded cap. fun.

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi Finnbear... I am just not sure about the Kel-Tec pistols.  I own a P11, a P32 and a Sub 9 Rifle.  I *can* say for certain that I really like the Sub 9 (folds up to fit into a briefcase, fires 9mm ammo).

Someone else here said "you either love 'em or hate 'em," and I think they are pretty much right.  Most gunshop people hate them, but you know how some (not all) of them can be.  I am just not sure about them...

For one thing the P11 and P40 are easy to "limp wrist."  This will cause a failure to feed or a failure to eject/extract, etc.  The trigger pull is tremendous, but it is designed that way by design as a safety mechanism.  Once you get use to shooting it, it seems that accuracy with other handguns improves, IMHO.

But I have had poorly machined feed ramps and firing chambers.  The people at Kel-Tec (www.kel-tec.com) are wonderful, and the gunsmiths will chat with you personally about problems and fixes.  There are a lot of "true believers" in the KT handguns on www.ktog.org.  There is a gunsmith there, Jack F., (www.detnet.com/fuselier/)who is reputed to be a bit of wizard at making these little machines run like Swiss clocks.  I plan to keep my KT handguns, but I am sending both the P11 and the P32 to Jack for him to work his magic on them.

ARnSC
(w/P32 in pocket)

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a P40 that I bought a while back.  Did some feedramp polishing and took off a burr on the lip of the feed ramp.  Pistol shoots without a hitch, it's light, great for CCW.  The trigger pull is not bad, a little heavy, but smooth.  Limp wristing should not be a problem, unless you have a limp wrist.[;)]   Seriously, good shooting technique takes care of those who practice it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck finding parts.  They don't have any parts distributors, and for 7+ months they've claimed to me that they’re going to get a few Real Soon Now(tm).  If you do buy one, you'll need their phone # for help.  It's 321-631-0068.  They also have a toll-free number 1-800-515-9983 that they don't usually advertise.  The toll-free number will save you some serious money, because while they don't answer their phone or have a way to leave a message (so you have to keep calling back), they have a recording that picks-up, then hangs-up.  That recording cost me quite a bit of money in long distance before I heard about their toll-free number.

I have a friend that's had two P32 that he has had no luck with.  Also, the local dealer has given-up on them, because the slide stop spring isn't strong enough to hold the assembly pin in place on the P32.  I think that's the same problem M4A3 mentioned that the P11 usually has.  I still haven't found another part to replace the slide stop spring on the P32.  I'm still looking, and my friend is still upset with me for recommending the Kel Tec.z
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a lot of "true believers" in the KT handguns on www.ktog.org.
View Quote

I think the term is called [i]astroturfing[/i].  One definition:

The use of paid shills to create the impression of a popular movement, through means like letters to newspapers from soi-disant `concerned citizens', paid opinion pieces, and the formation of grass-roots lobbying groups that are actually funded by a PR group (astroturf is fake grass; hence the term). This term became common among hackers after it came to light in early 1998 that Microsoft had attempted to use such tactics to forestall the U.S. Department of Justice's antitrust action against the company.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I like mine a lot. It's very lightweight, so I use it with the Kel-Tec belt clip, in the small of my back. I often forget it's even there it's so unobtrusive. The DAO trigger was a little strange to me at first, but I grew accustomed to it almost immediately. I like that I can use S&W 59 series mags in it for 15 rounds of 9mm.

My only real complaint is that I think the barrel should either be plated or made of stainless. After just a few days it started to develop some surface rust, because of the moisture of my body and where I'd been carrying the pistol(on the inside of my pants, just to the right of my spine}.
My barrel and slide are at [b]AZEX Arms[/b] right now, I decided to have Derek coat the barrel and slide in OD Green, while he's coating one of my rifles. It should be VERY cool. [8D]

I've got plenty of "better" handguns, but I've been missing my P11 since it's been gone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top