Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2007 6:31:29 PM EDT

Well? Anyone got anything on this?

I read on glocktalk that it might cost $77.

This seems improbably low.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
One figure I have seen thrown around by guys who would know is $62.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
One figure I have seen thrown around by guys who would know is $62.

Like both of you I've heard under $100 also
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
is that only material costs, or does that include all other costs associated with making each finished pistol?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i heard ford explorers only cost @ 7K to produce, and this was when they sold for $26K or so.

think about how much stuff it takes to market and distribute them before they get to the new owners
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
About 60 bucks.

A Big Mac costs .12 to make (including labor)

Papa Johns or Dominos Large Pizza (Supreme) costs roughly $1.85 to make.

Soda at Exxon...(free to Exxon) Coke gives them and other gas stations their fountain drinks free. So Exxon cost....0.00

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard around $75 or so as well
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

Soda at Exxon...(free to Exxon) Coke gives them and other gas stations their fountain drinks free. So Exxon cost....0.00

why would coke give them free soda?????

do they get free gas in exchange? confused on that one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

a thing of large fries from McD's = $0.7 cents
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The $ is in the R&D.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

It's the same with movie theatres... that Coke that you paid 4 bucks for? Free to the theatre!

Here's why... And this applies only to fountain drinks....

Coke or Pepsi have a war over exposure so they go to the gas stations and offer them free fountain drinks in exchange for product placement in the coolers.
This is also the deal with McDonalds,Burger King, etc.

Now Pepsi went one further .... they won KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut which is why you cant get Coke at KFC.

It's abnout marketing...every theatre chain has Coke, they run Coke ads all over before the show starts etc.

Coke trades the fountain drinks for this advertising.
The theatre gets 4 bucks for a soda that costs them nothing!

They will also do this with a mom and pop restaurant if it is a popular place and Coke can put in a sign. Smaller chains, same thing.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I know Pepsico sold some of their divisions, but I thought they still owned KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.  If they still do, I, uh, would think this is the reason those chains carry Pepsi. .

ETA: Ok, I see Pepsico sold those chains in '97. . . .I guess now they're "legacy accounts". .
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe nobody else said it:     $87  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

It's the same with movie theatres... that Coke that you paid 4 bucks for? Free to the theatre!

Coke or Pepsi have a war over exposure so they go to the gas stations and offer them free fountain drinks in exchange for product placement in the coolers.

Now Pepsi went one further .... they won KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut which is why you cant get Coke at KFC.

It's abnout marketing...every theatre chain has Coke, they run Coke ads all over before the show starts etc.

They will also do this with a mom and pop restaurant if it is a popular place and Coke can put in a sign. Smaller chains, same thing.

Roo, I am a former sales manager of a Coca-Cola Bottling Co.

The Coca-Cola company makes their money selling that syrup. they don't give shit away.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Not quite- they'll provide the soda fountains for free, the location still needs to purchase the syrup. Refrigerated cases (like the Coke or Pepsi ones at supermarket checkouts) are also provided free, the store is contractually obligated to keep them filled with the corresponding company's product.
Also, the biggest reason you could only find Pepsi at KFC, TAco Bell, and Pizza Hut is that Pepsico owned them prior to 1997.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

The Coca-Cola company makes their money selling that syrup. they don't give shit away.

Ok but Ahmed, the guy who runs the Exxon near me gets his coke for free.

Also...doesn't Coca Cola own a theatre chain? Is it Edwards or AMC?

Either way Coke is the best. Pepsi sucks.

ETA: Yes the coolers and fountains are free and so is the CO2 water... he may have to pay for the syrup...I don't know.
When I go get gas he lets me have all the free Coke I want outta the fountain, but then he may be trying to position himself to give me a back rub, I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
"Floor cost" of a product is entirely dependent on volume.

If Glock only sold one pistol next month, how much do you think the gun would cost to manufacture. The would still have to pay salaries, rent, bank notes, utilities, taxes, ect.

One gun might cost millions to manufacture.

There is no way to put a true "cost" to manufacture, without a sales number to corespond with the expenses.

People ask me all the time, "How much does it cost to make a gallon of degreaser?" I always say it depends on how many we sell.......

I know what the cost of the raw materials are that go into the formulation of our degreasers, but that certainly isn't all it costs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking at my Glock, I always wondered that. It's a fine weapon, but it's simple and nothing fancy.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

...and I am a former Director of Sales and Marketing, Convenience Store Division for Pepsi. While some large chains do get a "national" pricing discount, nobody gets it for free.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Define "cost".

Direct COGS, costs including amortized R&D, costs with corporate overhead allocated - what?

I'd imagine the barrel is by far the most expensive part, but at high volume so who knows.  I bet the materials are around $5.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]

All this stuff makes jewelry seem downright reasonable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

...and I am a former Director of Sales and Marketing, Convenience Store Division for Pepsi. While some large chains do get a discounted "national" pricing discount, nobody gets it for free.

That's the coolest thing about arfcom. You can find subject matter experts for pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I remember something about Pepsi offering pre-mix soda rather than post-mix (which requires more elaborate equipment), and offering easier credit terms than coke... thus the places like SNL parodied... "Cheebooger...No Coke... Pepsi!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Looking at my Glock, I always wondered that. It's a fine weapon, but it's simple and nothing fancy.

It's simplicity is what makes it great, just like the AK. And when you look at it what you don't see is the cost of marketing, advertising, insurance, physical operating costs, salaries, shipping, etc...

A better question would be:

"What is the total cost of raw materials used to make a Glock pistol?"

That would be much easier to answer. But then again if you look at what a human being would be worth if you priced their raw materials it's pretty damn cheap too.

When we total the monetary value of the elements in our bodies and the value of the average person's skin, we arrive at a net worth of $4.50!

www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/worth.asp
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So... how many cases of Coke would I have to order to gt it cheaper than the MSRP?

Six or eight years ago I tried to order a pallet of Coke in cans (cases) for a union BBQ, and they local distributor wanted $8 a case... back then you could get it on sale for $4.50/case. The lady was very polite, but she suggested I go to Wal Mart or Sam's Club to buy it instead.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#25]
These figures are likely raw material costs and direct labor, which is a stupid and worthless way to look at it. That's like saying the cost of a war=cost of ammunition used.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember something about Pepsi offering pre-mix soda rather than post-mix (which requires more elaborate equipment), and offering easier credit terms than coke... thus the places like SNL parodied... "Cheebooger...No Coke... Pepsi!"

Great skit....No Chicken sanwich...Cheeseboorga... Great stuff!

I think if you have a fountain a coke or pepsi costs about 1/10 of a cent or something like that.
Either way 4 bucks is too much at the theatre but on the rare occasion that I go see a flick I always get a large popcorn, with butter and a large coke.
I think that costs about 12 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coke and Pepsi both offer pre-mix and post-mix. Post mix is cheaper for high volume businesses, and pre-mix is better for lower volume mom and pop places as well as mobile outlets like the concession trailers you see at the county fair.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1

Death to Pepsi lovers....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Gaston Glock told Forbes magazines that the manufacturing cost per unit was $75.  The same article, which is available online, states that Glock's pretax margins are 60% (!).
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I cant say for a gun but at a ford school i was at once in minn. an instrctor/engineer told me the following (this was 2000)

New 2000 ford explorer  Price 31k

Company liability insurance 9500$
labor 2400$
materials 11,500$
marekting 2800$
manufacturing facility upkeep  1800$
misc $3000

The dealer makes thier money on the factory incentives, cash back etc.  Im sure this has all changed by now but thats how it was wheni learned.  What blew me away was the liability price per vehicle.  we quizzed the guy on it and he said it was twice that on certain vehicles like large trucks and sports cars because of lawsuits resulting from acidents.

SW
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#31]
We might want to edit the title to the thread to something along the lines of do gas stations get fountain drink syrup for free.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#32]
wasn't there a saying at GM to the effect that "we lose money on every car we sell?"

but they make up for it in volume!

ETA: i think that saying was popular when GM actually DIDN'T lose $ on every car they sold
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
wasn't there a saying at GM to the effect that "we lose money on every car we sell?"

but they make up for it in volume!

I do recall a saying that GM is a finance company that only makes cars so they have something to finance.  Probably true, GMAC is pretty fuckin' profitable.  Same as GE Capital.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The $ is in the R&D.

Right, because they are turning out so many new products every year. They have a small product portfolio, using parts with high commonality. Many of their different models can share parts from the same injection molding machines, stamping machines, etc... None of their pistols are substantially different than the original glock 17 designed ~30 years ago. What has that R&D turned out in 30 years? Fully metal lined mags? A rail? A new slim frame?  ooh.... Contrary to popular belief, even Tennifer wasn't developed by Glock, it's just another nitro-carburizing process that has been used for decaded developed by a German company (Durferrit GmbH). Not bashing them, it's a brilliant business model, brilliant engineering, and I love my G24, but it annoys the hell out of me how everyone that doesn't know squat always likes to talk about R&D and patents of companies.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I heard in the $60 range and as low as $32.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Any one know how much sig's are to make?(226)
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]
A friend told me that if you're a Gold Label Glock dealer you get the Glock syrup for free.

Just what I heard, could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A friend told me that if you're a Gold Label Glock dealer you get the Glock syrup for free.

no, that's the Glock kool-aid you're thinking of.  I wouldn't try it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Is the syrup what makes them explode?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

Ok but Ahmed, the guy who runs the Exxon near me gets his coke for free.
Also...doesn't Coca Cola own a theatre chain? Is it Edwards or AMC?

ETA: Yes the coolers and fountains are free and so is the CO2 water... he may have to pay for the syrup...I don't know.
When I go get gas he lets me have all the free Coke I want outta the fountain, but then he may be trying to position himself to give me a back rub, I don't know.

He must have some dirt on the sales rep in that area.  

My wife's father used to own an Exxon, and I just asked her if they got the coke for free.  She said that Coke supplied the fountain machine free of charge, but they had to buy the syrup.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Death to Pepsi lovers....

You guys are making my PTSD act up! AHHH FLASHBACKKKKSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! AHHAHRRGGGG. NO MORE BLIND TASTE TESTS.........................

(see little box under my name)
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Veteran of the Cola Wars

A war without battles, without monuments. Only casualties.

BOT: $64 is the quote I've heard, and Blocks ain't even worth that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The $ is in the R&D.

Right, because they are turning out so many new products every year. They have a small product portfolio, using parts with high commonality. Many of their different models can share parts from the same injection molding machines, stamping machines, etc... None of their pistols are substantially different than the original glock 17 designed ~30 years ago. What has that R&D turned out in 30 years? Fully metal lined mags? A rail? A new slim frame?  ooh.... Contrary to popular belief, even Tennifer wasn't developed by Glock, it's just another nitro-carburizing process that has been used for decaded developed by a German company (Durferrit GmbH). Not bashing them, it's a brilliant business model, brilliant engineering, and I love my G24, but it annoys the hell out of me how everyone that doesn't know squat always likes to talk about R&D and patents of companies.

It's courteous to mention your qualifications when whining about others whiining.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Moutain Dew owns you all...although I'm not a fan of Pepsi itself.  Coke is better if we're lookin at dark soda drinks.  Either way I agree w/ the post above that this title should be changed to "Does Coke or Pepsi give away free drinks to businesses?"
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The $ is in the R&D.

It's courteous to mention your qualifications when whining about others whiining.....

1 yr engineer - injection molding facility
5 yrs engineer - NASA
4 yrs business consultant - generalist firm, projects include supply chain mgmt, BPR incl. R&D project, strategy, etc...
3+ yrs founder & angel investor of IT startups
currently, no more engineering or business (doing photography)

since you asked..
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I know that about 3-4yrs ago... A standard Kimber cost $117 to make. It may have gone up. Figure Glock still makes their guns is Austria (?) they have to make them and then ship them and pay an import duty (?). $75 sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

All this stuff makes jewelry seem downright reasonable.

And you can just dig that shit out of the ground!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I hate to hijack this thread, but just want to clarify something.

I used to own a gas station, Pepsi provided all the equipments and maintenance for the fountain drinks and I have to buy the syrups from them but at a discount price cheaper than SAM's wholesale.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I hate to hijack this thread...  

I don't think that's an issue at this point.

The real question is how much cheaper would a Glock be if Pepsi and/or Coke could mold them into the side of plastic cups that they provide for free when you buy the post/pre mix syrup?

Let's stay on track here people.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
About 60 bucks.

Roo,
Can you tell me who to call to get the free soda? I have to pay for the machine, the CO2, the cups and lids, and the syrup to make the soda.

We sell about 2.4 million gallons of gas a year at our location, but we aren't an Exxon station.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top